Are tender ports still going to be visited?

Pet

This topic’s discussion reminds me of the gigantic tender boats required/supplied at Riviera’s stop in Belize City a few years ago; like the open to the air deck areas on many ferries with plenty of seating for social distancing.  I also have nostalgia for the much more open tender boats used on Oceania itself over a decade ago.

i assume the newer ones used by Oceania are safer for the passengers but they certainly offer far less airflow. 

Edited by CintiPam

46 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

This topic’s discussion reminds me of the gigantic tender boats required/supplied at Riviera’s stop in Belize City a few years ago; like the open to the air deck areas on many ferries with plenty of seating for social distancing.  I also have nostalgia for the much more open tender boats used on Oceania itself over a decade ago.

i assume the newer ones used by Oceania are safer for the passengers but they certainly offer far less airflow. 

Ocean's shipboard tenders are also the lifeboats which are able to be sealed from the external conditions.  I don't think open tender boats can serve effectively as lifeboats. I would think open air tenders would have to be supplied by the ports.  But then again, some creative engineer might be able to solve the problem.  Just so they're not like the Titanic's lifeboats.🛶

We have a number of people that aren’t going to sail under any conditions for 2+ years attempting to establish conditions to justify their personal no sail positions. Perhaps the cruise lines are far more interested in the positions of those that will sail. As an intended cruiser, give us a face mask and reasonable distancing, and we’ll ride the tenders.

If you won’t get on a tender unless it’s a near private launch, you’re probably not sailing anyway. Your vote doesn’t matter! You’ll never be accommodated until a vaccine is distributed and it has two years to ensure it’s safe. The cruising world isn’t waiting on you ! Enjoy and Each to their own!

I always have paid attention to the number of tender ports on cruises because although I love cruises and very much enjoy watching the ship plowing through the waves from my veranda, I still am a bit of a queasy sailor.  I hate tendering in normal circumstances because bobbing up and down in one of those very enclosed tenders while waiting for it to fill definitely qualifies as my least favorite cruising activity.  (I have been know to wait onshore until the tender is about ready to return to the ship before I get on it to reduce the minutes I have to endure that feeling.)

If too many “anchors” appear on an Oceania itinerary, I move on to a different cruise. I assume there are others like me.   

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I assume there are others like me.   

I am one of them. Hate the bobbing of tenders even in relatively quite waters never mind rough waters - and it happens a lot.

I hate it when the tender is almost full and the next one is nearby circling & waiting and they just wait till they fill the first one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I believe those  boats own by locals in Belize

We had a very nice catamaran for the ride into the port