The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On 10/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, BEAV said:

I’m happy to report the Crystal “C” Reserve wines are still available at Grocery Outlet locations throughout California (and at least Reno, Nevada). This past week family members and I had another fun buying spree at the Napa location! 2018 Cabernet & Merlot $6.99. Pinot Noir and Chardonnay $5.99. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

4B2BBEB5-76B3-4B56-B691-1D75DA7EFA38.jpeg

I hope management carded that crew.  I'm not sure of the variety, but they look like they're up to something nefarious to me.

10 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I hope management carded that crew.  I'm not sure of the variety, but they look like they're up to something nefarious to me.

Nothing nefarious going on here. 

We’re simply Californians. We’re an easily excitable people…

• Like 5

This afternoon  in Madrid I was at a tapas bar with a tour group when a woman (not part of the tour)  walked over to me and said you’re a Crystal cruiser. Sure enough, we’d been on several cruises in common over the years including the Flying Dutchman cruise and the Symphony’s final cruise. 

• Like 10

Trip Report: Nuu Yawk City!

Subhead: we conquer Manhattan.  Ok, we pleasantly coexist with it for about 48 hours.  How's that?

Part One:

Thirteen days ago we grabbed a rideshare to Union Station in DC on a bee-ooo-ti-ful fall morning.  Boarded the 9:50 Acela to NYC(original marketing slogan "two hours and fifty-five civilized minutes.")  And they're right, it's a lovely way to travel.

We splurged on first class.  Pro-tip: this is totally unnecessary on Acela.  All the other cars are labeled business class, and that is a fair branding.  Think United biz class from 15 years ago, before they started their Polaris class slight-of-hand, and you'll get the point.  Biz class is 2x2 seating(wide seats) and most comfy.  But we indulged.  Anyway, in 1F you get a meal thrown in and included booze(no need to ask if the Prosecco is Champagne.)  It was the AM, we both had the Denver Omelette.  They were...warm and, I think, made with eggs.  Not sure. (FYI, 1F is 1x2 seating, seats are identical to biz.)  The trip was quiet and uneventful, thru the majestic sights of the finest industrial areas of the mid-Atlantic/northeast US.

So, approximately two hours and fifty-five minutes later, we arrived NY Penn Station.  Now here's where I must add detail.  Penn Station has recently undergone, and is currently undergoing, a massive renovation.  If you've ever been thru the prior version of PS, you will know it was like arriving to one of Dante's circles of hell.  I'm not exaggerating.  It was a bunker beneath Madison Square Garden that solely functioned as a way to get masses of humanity from point A to point B. It was soul crushing.  One endured it only for the reward of emerging up and into the special super charged energy of that place called Nuu Yawk City.  (Side note: like cities?  Want to have your hear broken?  Search on the original Penn Station.  It rivaled, some say surpassed, Grand Central in its magnificence.  Its demolition for the abomination that is MSG is a blight on the history of US urban planning.)

Anyway, thanks to some funding from people who want government to actually work,  the folks at Amtrak opened this thing called the Moynihan train hall, in the former post office building right across the street from the old terminal.  It's where Amtrak now transits.  And it is magnificent. Grand, spacious, tons of glass and light; to call it night and day from the former experience doesn't come close to doing it justice.  Go to New York. Take the train.  Transit the Moynihan.  It will lift your spirits.

And then we walked out into the bright sunshine of a crisp autumn day in busy, boisterous, noisy Manhattan.  Buckle up city, we have arrived.

In part two: I write some words about actually being in NYC.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Trip Report: Nuu Yawk City!

Subhead: we conquer Manhattan.  Ok, we pleasantly coexist with it for about 48 hours.  How's that?

Part One:

Thirteen days ago we grabbed a rideshare to Union Station in DC on a bee-ooo-ti-ful fall morning.  Boarded the 9:50 Acela to NYC(original marketing slogan "two hours and fifty-five civilized minutes.")  And they're right, it's a lovely way to travel.

We splurged on first class.  Pro-tip: this is totally unnecessary on Acela.  All the other cars are labeled business class, and that is a fair branding.  Think United biz class from 15 years ago, before they started their Polaris class slight-of-hand, and you'll get the point.  Biz class is 2x2 seating(wide seats) and most comfy.  But we indulged.  Anyway, in 1F you get a meal thrown in and included booze(no need to ask if the Prosecco is Champagne.)  It was the AM, we both had the Denver Omelette.  They were...warm and, I think, made with eggs.  Not sure. (FYI, 1F is 1x2 seating, seats are identical to biz.)  The trip was quiet and uneventful, thru the majestic sights of the finest industrial areas of the mid-Atlantic/northeast US.

So, approximately two hours and fifty-five minutes later, we arrived NY Penn Station.  Now here's where I must add detail.  Penn Station has recently undergone, and is currently undergoing, a massive renovation.  If you've ever been thru the prior version of PS, you will know it was like arriving to one of Dante's circles of hell.  I'm not exaggerating.  It was a bunker beneath Madison Square Garden that solely functioned as a way to get masses of humanity from point A to point B. It was soul crushing.  One endured it only for the reward of emerging up and into the special super charged energy of that place called Nuu Yawk City.  (Side note: like cities?  Want to have your hear broken?  Search on the original Penn Station.  It rivaled, some say surpassed, Grand Central in its magnificence.  Its demolition for the abomination that is MSG is a blight on the history of US urban planning.)

Anyway, thanks to some funding from people who want government to actually work,  the folks at Amtrak opened this thing called the Moynihan train hall, in the former post office building right across the street from the old terminal.  It's where Amtrak now transits.  And it is magnificent. Grand, spacious, tons of glass and light; to call it night and day from the former experience doesn't come close to doing it justice.  Go to New York. Take the train.  Transit the Moynihan.  It will lift your spirits.

And then we walked out into the bright sunshine of a crisp autumn day in busy, boisterous, noisy Manhattan.  Buckle up city, we have arrived.

In part two: I write some words about actually being in NYC.

Actually, for most trips I am fine with Business Class on regular trains which are more time on the rails but equally civilized.  The one time I do spring for Acela First Class is when returning from a cruise;  not so much for the train itself but Moynihan Train Hall has an upper level lounge with nice snacks and very luggage storage and it's available only to sleeping car passengers or Acela First Class.

Roy

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The one time I do spring for Acela First Class is when returning from a cruise;  not so much for the train itself but Moynihan Train Hall has an upper level lounge with nice snacks and very luggage storage and it's available only to sleeping car passengers or Acela First Class.

Roy

Yep, I'll be singing its praises in a later installment.

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from one of my more unusual combinations.  It started with a voyage on New York's Erie Canal System and the St. Lawrence Seaway from New York to Montreal and a return to New York on the Crystal Symphony.  On October 8, 2011 Blount's Grande Mariner had reached the end of the Erie Canal system at Oswego, New York.

1stlight.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is from my 20111 combination of Blount Small ship Adventures voyage through the Erie Canal New York to Montreal and returning to New York on the Crystal Symphony.  On October 11 the Grande Mariner  was in Quebec:

dawnquebec.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

Last week heard there was a new Love Boat Series.  So I recorded the first two episodes thinking it would be similar to the original Love Boat.  Well, after watching the first 30 seconds I deleted both episodes and won't be watching it.  Not interested in a reality TV series.  

The original Love Boat series combined with those Carnival Cruise Line commercials with Kathie Lee Gifford put cruising back on the map.

I don't think this new show will. Well, maybe with those in their 20's, 30's. but not old me.

Keith

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Last week heard there was a new Love Boat Series.  So I recorded the first two episodes thinking it would be similar to the original Love Boat.  Well, after watching the first 30 seconds I deleted both episodes and won't be watching it.  Not interested in a reality TV series.  

The original Love Boat series combined with those Carnival Cruise Line commercials with Kathie Lee Gifford put cruising back on the map.

I don't think this new show will. Well, maybe with those in their 20's, 30's. but not old me.

Keith

I stayed for the first full episode but never again.  I wonder how much it disrupted the experience of those who had paid to be on the ship.  Not that I'm considering Princess but I think the possibility of their disruption would be a real disincentive.

Roy

Well, it's Saturday, so tonight is Steak Night.  And not just any steak, but the Delmonico:

IMG_0234.thumb.jpg.6b2e7ee055ad749b0ddd9760bcd99a7f.jpg

Two pounds, six ounces of prime grade beefy goodness.  The Delmonico cut originated at the Delmonico restaurant in NYC, which claims to be the first public restaurant in the US.(Of course some folks in NYC claim to have invented the Reuben, which we all know is not...accurate.  So I don't put too much weight on NY food claims.)  BTW, this cut of mine is a bone-in NY strip.  No one really knows what cut the original Delmonico was.

Big night at the Chez.

• Like 5