jeans for the ladies

labtech

In general, you don't think about denim fabric being 'tropical wear'. I would never consider taking jeans on a cruise or to any land vacation on an island. Think 'breezy, light, tropical' type clothing - shorts, capris, etc.

Ooops, I didn't finish, and my computer froze up on me.:D

Look at the cruise commercials on TV, the ads in magazines, and anywhere in any travel magazine about cruising or land resort vacations. No jeans in sight. Have a great cruise!:)

I wore my jeans on my travel days since I was coming from a cold snowy area, I did wear my jeans on deck one night because it was really windy and cold and I wanted to watch a movie on MUTS (movie under the stars...on the Grand Princess). Wore my capris or shorts when in port and on the ship.

Jeans are perfectly acceptable however on some cruise lines they may not be allowed in the dining room for dinner. Okay for breakfast and lunch in the dining room. I do however agree with the previous poster who said if you are going to the warmer climates they are very uncomfortable. I live in jeans during the winter at home but on a cruise in the Caribbean, they don't even get packed.

Jeans during the day in a tropical climate just doesn't work---they're too hot and too heavy in humid weather and 90 degree temps. Also, jeans cannot be worn in the dining room at night, so it's probably best not to worry about bringing jeans.

It really depends on when you are cruising and from where. I just returned from a cruise out of Galveston and wore jeans the day I arrived, the last day at sea and the day we left. It was cold and windy the last day at sea. The rest of the days I wore shorts and tank tops since it was warm and sunny. I don't find that jeans are too hot for warm climates however since I wear them here at home when it is 90 plus and humid.

The jeans controversy always amazes me- they tell you you can't wear them in the dining rooms and you can't wear tank tops and just about every cruise we have been on people wear both and no one asks them to leave- the same story goes for, not that it was asked, they say if you show up more than 15 minutes late for dinner they won't seat you- many, many times we have seen people show up at 6:45 for the 6:00 seating and they also are NEVER turned away

I have seen folks being turned away from the dining room for being dressed inappropriately. I've heard the Maitre d' on two cruises say something like "You will need to change into proper clothing, OR you might be more comfortable having dinner at the Lido Buffet area." Good for them! I wish all Maitre d's would do this.

Look at the cruise commercials on TV, the ads in magazines, and anywhere in any travel magazine about cruising or land resort vacations. No jeans in sight.

Sorry Cotton. I have to disagree. I have two cruise magazines right in front of me and both of them have multiple pictures of people in jeans.

Thanks. I am more comfortable in jeans or light slacks.

Then I would recommend bringing light slacks rather than jeans. Jeans get very hot in the humid Caribbean. Light slacks, especially cotton slacks, will give you more room to breathe and keep you more comfortable.

Sorry Cotton. I have to disagree. I have two cruise magazines right in front of me and both of them have multiple pictures of people in jeans.

Perhaps those folks are on an Alaskan cruise?;)

In my cruise magazines - all 3 of them - I have yet to see jeans pictured except when they are showing excursions in Alaska.

Are these acceptable on cruises? also, what about wearing these while at port?

if thats what you want to wear its fine --the other posters did have valuable comments for you to consider

you did not say what cruise line you are sailing on --some have more stringent regs then others ----on holland america jeans shorts tank tops and the like are not to be worn in any public area after 5pm

This will be our first cruise and we're pretty laid back people. I had planned on packing jeans along with crop pants and shorts. I'm not a small woman and after being on my feet during the day, have a little swelling in my ankles. So I've always stayed away from crop pants and shorts when out someplace nice. But on this trip, dragging them out :D We live in an area that the humidity is high in the summer months and jeans don't bother me so I'll still wear them some.

Jennie

We're travelling from Mass. to Fla. & sailing in less than 3 weeks. (Did the same 1 yr ago.) I wear a nice pr of jeans for travelling down & back & have them "just in case". I wore them on the ship 1 night when there a deck party at midnight - it was just a little cool, so it was nice.

Anytime I saw anyone on deck wearing pants last March, they seemed to be very lightweight cottony type, or dressier at night for dinner & the shows. I think when we cruised 11/03, there may have been a few people in jeans on deck, when it was overcast & cooler on the last sea day. My sisters are heavy (as I was on last 2 cruises). I mostly wore shorts during the day & they wore slacks & capris on our cruise last year Most ladies wear shorts & capris, or their bathing suit with a skirt/wrap on deck. In port, they wear whatever is approriate for their excursion - usually shorts.

Side note - I used to get a lot of ankle swelling - here are some tips that worked for me - cut back on salt/sodium, drink LOTS of water ALL day, drink a glass of water for every alcoholic drink, cut back on caffeine, when relaxing in bed or on deck - put something under your ankles to raise them a bit higher. And very important - BE ACTIVE - walk around a lot, take the stairs whenever you can, get your "blood flowing"!

Enjoy your cruise!

Sha

From a practical standpoint (setting aside dress codes for the moment), jeans aren't good for either the Caribbean or Alaska. They're heavy and take up a lot of space in your luggage. In the Caribbean they're way to hot, and in Alaska they're not warm enough and hold water, besides taking forever to dry.

Wear jeans if you want to, but there are other fabrics for pants that will work a lot better for you on a cruise or any other type of travel. The exception would be a week at a dude ranch. :D

Roz

I broke down and purchased 2 pair of capris :D I'll pick up a few pair of shorts and comfy shirts next week when I get paid then I "think" I'll be all set on clothes I think... I do still need to buy a dress for formal night though. I have a nice pantsuit but it's velvet and I'm guessing that it'll be too hot for that. I love comfort and it's really comfortable :)

Jennie

Don't forget to think about excursions... I wore jeans to and from the cruise - as I was leaving and coming home to a cold climate. I chose to wear tan jeans because I thought they looked a little nicer than the typical blue denim. I also had a horseback riding excursion booked and I knew I needed to wear pants for that. That's what made my choice - instead of packing bulky jeans that I needed - I just wore them. I never did wear them on the cruise itself, but I don't think I would be opposed to it.

Have fun!!

Archived