Any P&O new ship for 2022?

keeven

I just wonder if there still will be a new P&O ship for 2022. The website says "A second new P&O Cruises ship will be joining the P&O Cruises fleet in 2022. It is being created in the image of her sister ship, Iona and will be the largest ship ever to be built to sail from the UK." 

I think I will skip 2021 and use my FCC for 2022. 

• Haha 1

I believe that Carnival has indicated that all new builds will go ahead but timescales may change - i.e. delayed. I don't think we can be certain of anything at the moment. Until the Covid crisis has passed and the 'mists' have cleared, it is difficult to know what things will look like in 2022 and beyond.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I believe that Carnival has indicated that all new builds will go ahead but timescales may change - i.e. delayed. I don't think we can be certain of anything at the moment. Until the Covid crisis has passed and the 'mists' have cleared, it is difficult to know what things will look like in 2022 and beyond.

I agree. I believe that aspects of the fallout from covid19 will last for years, perhaps in some cases permanently. In particular, ports' attitude to large ships.

Even before the pandemic there was in some ports - Venice and Dubrovnik immediately come to mind -  growing opposition to large cruise ships disgourging thousands of passengers who often spent little, but put off others who would spend more from visiting. Add in the fear of those passengers and the crowds they cause spreading covid19, and I can see ports putting a limit on the number of cruise passengers in port at any time, with perhaps a limit on ship size as already in force in Venice and (I believe) currently being discussed in Key West. Will this be the beginning of the end for the mega ship, back to small is beautiful? I don't know, but if I were running a cruise line I would hasten slowly.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 3

It was stated by Carnival hierarchy recently that new builds in 2022/23 will be delayed so pretty sure that Iona 2 and Cunard's new build will be delayed. The naming of the new Cunard ship had been expected a few months ago and has been delayed and also expected sale for at least the Maiden but has also been delayed so dont expect that ship until 2023.

It's true about cruise passengers not spending anything.  Most get off the ship, wander about, have a coffee and go back to the ship for lunch.  We do like to have lunch out at least, but it's hardly going to keep the economy alive!

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

I agree. I believe that aspects of the fallout from covid19 will last for years, perhaps in some cases permanently. In particular, ports' attitude to large ships.

Even before the pandemic there was in some ports - Venice and Dubrovnik immediately come to mind -  growing opposition to large cruise ships disgourging thousands of passengers who often spent little, but put off others who would spend more from visiting. Add in the fear of those passengers and the crowds they cause spreading covid19, and I can see ports putting a limit on the number of cruise passengers in port at any time, with perhaps a limit on ship size as already in force in Venice and (I believe) currently being discussed in Key West. Will this be the beginning of the end for the mega ship, back to small is beautiful? I don't know, but if I were running a cruise line I would hasten slowly.

Norway was also considering a ban on large cruise ships and the older more polluting cruise ships certainly from the World Heritage Site fjords 

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

It was stated by Carnival hierarchy recently that new builds in 2022/23 will be delayed so pretty sure that Iona 2 and Cunard's new build will be delayed. The naming of the new Cunard ship had been expected a few months ago and has been delayed and also expected sale for at least the Maiden but has also been delayed so dont expect that ship until 2023.

They said average delay 5 months, so May 2022 becomes October 2022 for Gala 2.

On same logic, August 2022 for (what will presumably be) Queen Anne becomes January 2023. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, molecrochip said:

They said average delay 5 months, so May 2022 becomes October 2022 for Gala 2.

On same logic, August 2022 for (what will presumably be) Queen Anne becomes January 2023. 

Yes that is what I understood but will be interesting on where and how well Cunard's bookings will be for a maiden cruise in January 2023. We were hoping to either do maiden or go on her in October 2022 to celebrate 40th wedding anniversary but highly unlikely now and wouldnt be interested in a January cruise wherever it goes too. Will just have to wait and see when they go on sail, was hoping Cunard's new ship would have been on sail by now or as normal in Sept/Oct but doesnt look like it now.

Edited by majortom10