Carnival ship's WiFi and mobile device apps.

beachbum53

I know that the WiFi on the ships can be spotty sometimes. There are several apps for mobile devices (tablets, smart phones, etc.) for music and/or radio stations. We like to listen to music when we're in our cabin. The music choices on the cabin's TV are very limited. If we bring a mobile device with music apps to choose from, will we be able to utilize an app via the ship's WiFi?

The best option is download to your device any music you would want to listen to.  To actually stream music, you will need to be on a ship with upgraded wifi and purchase the highest level package. Save some money and aggravation.  Download your music.

4 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

The best option is download to your device any music you would want to listen to.  To actually stream music, you will need to be on a ship with upgraded wifi and purchase the highest level package. Save some money and aggravation.  Download your music.

So, having the Hub app won't enable us to use the ship's WiFi? Guess I'd better get a couple of SD cards and start downloading. 

30 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

So, having the Hub app won't enable us to use the ship's WiFi? 

The Hub app only allows you to use the ship's WiFi within the app.  Internet access is needed for everything else, and that costs extra.

42 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Did you have to pay for access to the WiFi?

Of course you do. I'm not aware of any cruiseline that gives away expensive wifi time. Even crew members have to pay for wifi access.

Edited by klfrodo

The Carnival wifi allows access for the HUB app for a limited number of Carnival-oriented things free of charge.

To access the general Internet via the wifi, you need to pay.  Speed/bandwidth scales with price.

The best plan apparently can support some video streaming services OK.  So a medium package may be sufficient for audio (audio is tiny in bandwidth demands compared to video).

But yeah, I would recommend you just download music direct to your devices.  10 GB of space should hold well over 1000 songs of typical length (so about 200 songs like Pink Floyd's Echoes 😉 ).

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

5 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

there is anew service out called iTunes 🙄 you do not need wifi . I have over 2,000 songs downloaded