TAHITI TOURISME CANCELLATION POLICY

Barrycat

I am flying UA so this would not apply to me. But my seats are award tix so I can cancel and redeposit the miles with no charge.

With all the problems people are having now with getting the pre flight covid test Tahiti is going to find a lot of cancellations. It is being reported on TA that people are not allowed to board their ATN flights due to the test paperwork not saying the correct wording. People are also reporting they are having major problems getting their results back in 72 hours. They are cancelling their trips 1 or 2 days before they are due to leave due to inability to get a test done in time.

6 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I am flying UA so this would not apply to me. But my seats are award tix so I can cancel and redeposit the miles with no charge.

With all the problems people are having now with getting the pre flight covid test Tahiti is going to find a lot of cancellations. It is being reported on TA that people are not allowed to board their ATN flights due to the test paperwork not saying the correct wording. People are also reporting they are having major problems getting their results back in 72 hours. They are cancelling their trips 1 or 2 days before they are due to leave due to inability to get a test done in time.

Susie, sorry to be a dummy but what is TA? I'd like to read too.

Edited by Petoonya

@Barrycat

David, at this point in time don't know how people are getting results in time for their flights. I know that will likely change but in Oregon, even though the test can be run and results ready in 24 hours, results may not be released for a week.

What's your thought? How are people boarding ATN?

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

@Barrycat

David, at this point in time don't know how people are getting results in time for their flights. I know that will likely change but in Oregon, even though the test can be run and results ready in 24 hours, results may not be released for a week.

What's your thought? How are people boarding ATN?

Wow! I just spoke to United as they are beginning flights August 4. They told me that the correct test, SARS-CoV-2 RNA, is being offered in the airport with a 2 hour turnaround time- free. If it's positive they'll give a flight credit. Sounds like to be safe you'd have to arrive 5-6 hours early. Bet you a dime to a dollar ATN is or will be doing the same. 

This is wonderful news!

Petoonya

As I said, the current procedure, at least at LAX is not sustainable.  There will be a period when this will become evident as innocent people show up at the check in desk only to find out that the test results they have are not valid for boarding the airplane. Both the Tahiti officials and the airlines are going to be forced to come up with a workable process that encourages people to get on a plane, stay in a hotel and board a cruise ship and spend some money in FP. 

WS has already cancelled it's first four scheduled itineraries possibly concerned that their initial passengers might not show up due to the admission regulations. Thankfully we have plenty of time for this to be worked out. Unfortunately some of those scheduled for this fall will be considering cancellation because of the uncertainty.

3 hours ago, Barrycat said:

WS has already cancelled it's first four scheduled itineraries possibly concerned that their initial passengers might not show up due to the admission regulations.

What dates has Windstar cancelled?  Never mind... I found it.

Our date also shows sold out.  The date before ours is a charter.

Edited by Heartfelttraveler

12 hours ago, Barrycat said:

Both the Tahiti officials and the airlines are going to be forced to come up with a workable process that encourages people to get on a plane, stay in a hotel and board a cruise ship and spend some money in FP.

Sorry Barrycat- I misunderstood your earlier post. Agree, they will need to find a way that's smooth and seamless for travelers to get to FP to spend money. Feel badly for those 15% of travelers who got to the ATN counter with the wrong test or no test at all. These folks might only have known about the requirements had ATN reached out, or else not taken them seriously.

People are now cancelling their trips even before they leave their hometowns since they cannot get tested, especially if the y have a Tuesday flight and need a test on Saturday. It's a shame.I hate to be negative, but I don't see this going well for visiting Tahiti anytime in the next 6 months. Unless the airlines and FP government work together to make this workable for visitors the flights will likely end up being canceled. UA and ATN are not going to fly empty planes all the way to french Polynesia. And then Windstar will cancelsjilings as most pax are Americans and they won't be able to get there. Windstar is not going to sail almost empty Wind Spirit.