Regent cancelled through October 31, 2020

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I bet nothing before April....at the very earliest.

That’s a lot of cash thrown out the window to keep ships moored and semi operational. If it goes that long it will be even more devastating to the entire tourist industry than it already is. 

The cruise lines don't care. They have cash to get them through the end of 2021.

What they do care about is running a cruise too early...that is what will kill them.

A chapter 11 re-instructing isn't the end of the world. There are a lot of things that might be improved in the process. Cruising will never go away...not at this price point. Carnival may go under but there is always a market for the 1%.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Cruising will never go away...not at this price point.

I was going to mention something like that in an earlier post, but didn't.  Glad you brought it up, considering your expertise in such matters.   I agree with your prediction.

What are your thoughts on luxury-level expedition cruising, on ships with an even smaller capacity as Regent?  I'm thinking they will also do well when things restart.

47 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I bet nothing before April....at the very earliest.

I can see that when this first began, the cruise lines were not in a rush to cancel too much. I understand that. The industry and cruisers know a lot more now!!!  Some crew on RCCL and Carnival have not even got back home according to some reports. NCLCL is not saying if all their crew are back home....at least I can’t find a report. Does anyone know? 

Regent has prided it self on being a leader, but not now......most lines have now canceled at least until late Dec or the first of the year. Regent still has their WC in limbo and is accepting payments (final payments) for cruises that they know aren’t going to sail. We have one coming up Feb 5th that final payment is coming due soon. Most of the booking is paid for with FCC given us for a big Regent problem we had on previous cruise. I really want to try the Splendor and use that reimbursement so we will have to finish paying for the cruise, I guess, and take another FCC for the future.

Regent is now offering  free laundry on their sailings while Rome burns.........

Edited by cwn

37 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The cruise lines don't care. They have cash to get them through the end of 2021.

What they do care about is running a cruise too early...that is what will kill them.

A chapter 11 re-instructing isn't the end of the world. There are a lot of things that might be improved in the process. Cruising will never go away...not at this price point. Carnival may go under but there is always a market for the 1%.

That is true! Can you just imagine the bad press!

One thing for my money that could improve is smaller new builds. We love the Navigator and Seaboun Sojourn size . They are perfect to us. And Seabourns Pride was heaven, it could go into such delightful small interesting ports.....no long bus ride needed just walk down the gangway into the heart of the town!

57 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I agree that it would be disastrous to cruise too early and have COVID incidents. To say that cruise lines don’t care about spending money on idle ships is too strong a statement. That is all borrowed money at high interest rates that will be a drag on their profitability for years to come. Ah the 1%., they will keep everything going, except when they are taxed to death, which is coming.

• Like 2

But you agree they would rather spend money on idle ships then lose even more by running them too soon? That makes this a conscious decision on their part...which I would expect as they seem intelligent to me. I also think they have made the correct choice (finally) in releasing information once a month. Now we all know when we are getting the info....and it is in their best interest to control that release.

I expect we are going to see small groups buy into large yachts so they can still cruise....

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

Of course I agree with their decision given the choices they have. All am I saying is that they are going to have to raise revenues to pay off these high interest loans and/or have reduced profitability for a long time.

Just saw this banner on top of Seabourn Homepage:

We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. 

As I believe the same statement is true for Regent, would be nice if they acknowedged it in same manner as Seabourn.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Just saw this banner on top of Seabourn Homepage:

As I believe the same statement is true for Regent, would be nice if they acknowedged it in same manner as Seabourn.

Good luck with that. Regent doesn’t seem to be as forthcoming as some other luxury cruise lines.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Good luck with that. Regent doesn’t seem to be as forthcoming as some other luxury cruise lines.

I suspect most people don't need Regent to state the obvious...we need Regent to tell us what we don't know yet. I really like the fact they are making monthly announcements about future cruises...that is helpful. I am also assuming that no cruise will be sailing in the next 8 months....but that's just me.

What is obvious to you may not be obvious to others. I read comments on this board all the time, where people are talking about Their Regent cruises sailing this year or early next year, non of which I believe. Of course I no longer have skin in the game because I received cash refunds for all of the trips I had booked for 2020/2021 so maybe that influences my perspective. What I’ve seen over and over this year is that other cruise lines come out and tell their customers well in advance that they are cancelling future cruises until a certain date. Regent eventually follows those same cancellation schedules but much later. So, one can assume that if another major cruise line cancels cruises into the future that Regent will eventually follow. But Regent knows as much as these other cruise lines and they know what it will take to get their idled ships and crews back to sailing status, so why not come clean and inform people? Maybe it’s for cash flow, who knows what motivates them to be a follower when it comes to communications and cancellations. Maybe that they are so arrogant that they believe that many of their past customers will sail with them no matter what they say or do. Some people on this board seem to imply that and pounce on people who even dare to criticize Regent for anything.

• Like 8

Or maybe regent ships, being smaller and with far more personal space per passenger, may be able to cruise where other ships can not.

If you don't realize that the immediate future of cruising is uncertain then you are living under a rock. I don't need to be told this.  Perhaps people should spend a few minutes reading the news before asking questions and expecting others to do their legwork for them. 

Carnival Cruise Lines is also showing

UPDATE
We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings.
Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Health and Sailings Advisories.

Haven't checked others of the Carnival family yet, other that HAL which is also showing the same caveat.  Maybe Carnival Corp put this as a global heading on all its lines.

I'm also wondering if it gives Carnival Corp. a little more coverage for drastically changing itineraries on cruises people are still booking, with new money or FCC's, if COVID so dictates.  As I've read repeatedly, all the cruise line T&C's give the cruise lines much ability to change dates/ports/you name it, and not much that the passengers can do about it, but maybe this is an effort to put that in flaming letters for those still booking ahead? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Or maybe regent ships, being smaller and with far more personal space per passenger, may be able to cruise where other ships can not.

If you don't realize that the immediate future of cruising is uncertain then you are living under a rock. I don't need to be told this.  Perhaps people should spend a few minutes reading the news before asking questions and expecting others to do their legwork for them. 

Maybe, but Crystal also has smaller ships in their fleet including an expedition ship, river ship and a yacht and they cancelled all 2020 cruises and extended some cancellations into January 2021. I absolutely know how uncertain the future of cruising is and that we don’t know where COVID-19 is going. That’s why I got my money back and didn’t take FCC’s. I do believe that when we get through this crisis, the cruise industry will look a lot different then it does today. There will be winners and losers and Some changes that will probably not sit well with some people. Who will win and lose and what the industry will look like post COVID-19 is anyone’s guess, and that is what it will be, a guess.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

None of the Regent ships is smaller than Seabourn's smallest three. 

Navigator is the only ship in the Regent fleet that is smaller than even Seabourn's largest two ships. Maximum capacity on any Seabourn ship is 604 passengers.

You said earlier "I suspect most people don't need Regent to state the obvious..."  Is there a suggestion here that Seabourn guests are somehow lacking in intelligence?  

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

None of the Regent ships is smaller than Seabourn's smallest three. 

Navigator is the only ship in the Regent fleet that is smaller than even Seabourn's largest two ships. Maximum capacity on any Seabourn ship is 604 passengers.

You said earlier "I suspect most people don't need Regent to state the obvious..."  Is there a suggestion here that Seabourn guests are somehow lacking in intelligence?  

I didn't bring up nor did I discuss Seabourn so any suggestions regarding that line might exist in your mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Windstar is latest cruise line to cancel all 2020 cruises; whilst Regent is still showing cruises departing as early as 2 November.  Also, canceling of Regent and Oceania 2021 World Cruises has still not hit the press; cruise, mainstream, or financial press.

Marc

Perhaps a tangent, but just saw this regarding NCL announcing some 21/22 itineraries to their Indian travel partners.  Wonder if Regent will be following with some announcement.  Also, will tomorrow bring the next round of cancellation announcements? 

http://www.travelbizmonitor.com/Top-Stories/ncl-unveils-itineraries-of-7-ships-in-europe-for-202122-52954

Itinerary highlights for NCL’s 2021 and 2022 Europe sailing season include:

? Norwegian Star will sail an 11-day roundtrip from Reykjavik, Iceland departing 14 July 2022, where she’ll visit scenic ports in Iceland and Greenland. Norwegian Star will be the first ship in the company’s history to sail to Nuuk, Qaqortoq and Nanortalik, Greenland. 

? Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Gem will both be sailing the Greek Isles for the first time:

o Norwegian Escape will sail an 11-day Greek Isles roundtrip from Rome on 21 October 2022 visiting iconic Mediterranean ports including Santorini, Athens and Florence. 

o Norwegian Gem’s 9-day Greek Isles roundtrip from Venice departing 20 May 2022 will sail bucket-list destinations including Mykonos, Corfu and Dubrovnik. 

? Norwegian Dawn will be sailing Northern Europe for the first time. Her 10-day British Isles sailing departing from London on 14 May 2022 allows for immersive exploration of iconic destinations such as Dublin and Edinburgh before disembarking in Amsterdam. 

At sea, guests can explore the best of Europe from the comfort of one of seven NCL ships sailing the region; four ships from the mid-sized Dawn (Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Star) and Jewel (Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jade) classes, Norwegian Getaway from the innovative Breakaway class, Norwegian Escape from the Breakaway Plus class – NCL’s most successful ship class – and Norwegian Epic all sailing the region.