Cruises cancelled through October 31

Cruizer Bill

The only FCC DH and I are holding is the 25% bonus granted on basic cruise fare, as a result of our cancelled Japan Westerdam cruise to have taken place April 11-25, this past year.  ALL other monies have been refunded.    Personally I am not interested in any of my paid fares or deposits  held for future use during this “what if and when” current status.

In addition, any of the cruises I cancelled where I had used reserve Future cruise deposits, I requested those be turned in as a credit on my credit card (DH and I had 3 cruises booked other than the April cancelled cruise, which meant 4 FCD’s per person).  All those were credited back in a timely matter.  The April sailing had been my only paid in full cruise.    

DH and I each have one FCD left attached to our Mariner Account for $100 pp...l This I can live with and let stand, for now.    Should I book anything into the future (they expire Oct 2023) at least I will not have to give fresh money or larger deposit amount .

As the future unfolds with developing news - i may decide to just cash those in also if I see no foreseeable use for them.

Carol  

1 hour ago, mainelycruising said:

IMHO, we will not see cruising return until a vaccine (or some unknown miracle wipes this virus away) is available to all.   To quote our President:  "It is what it is."

He’s given up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

If one has the misfortune to be holding a FCC from a cruise line that subsequently goes bankrupt my understanding is that the holder will then become an unsecured creditor.   Not a good place to be.

Bottom line, if you are lucky you might get a few cents on the dollar in two or three years from the date of the bankruptcy. 

Do not know if a credit card company would help given the time lapse.  Unless of course your credit card had some associated insurances for this type of occurrence.  They certainly would not honor the 125 percent.  That would be unreasonable.  The best you could expect was a return of your original payment IMHO.    We think that FCC's are a bit of a mugs game in this covid situation.  The cruise lines are playing it for all they can.

I believe your unsecured creditor comment is correct.  At that point your money is as good as lost.

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Proof of vaccination may be required however one of the challenges to producing a vaccine will be it's effectiveness.

So, how would people feel about boarding a ship if the vaccines available were only 60 or 70 percent effective? 

There are still many unknowns about the disease and about the potential vaccines.  Early days yet.  We also need an effective and safe drug to combat the effects of the virus.   This is why we place little credence in the start up date projections.

Eurodam has approximately 3000 passengers and crew.  A 65% effectivity would mean about a thousand would not be protected.  An effective treatment maybe more likely than an effective vaccine.

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

You didn't hop in on the 10.5 bond.??

Good luck on the bond offering.

Reuters:

“Carnival said the notes will be secured by a second-priority lien, a lower priority of repayment in case of bankruptcy or liquidation of assets.“

Me thinks your being ‘tongue and cheek’ Marty, no?

Be well.

Bob