Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

4 hours ago, StevenUS said:

$35 for a glass? That is very expensive. Although I do not think I spent that much for a bottle so I guess it is obvious I don't go drinking top shelf stuff.

As a practical matter, I don't think anyone actually pays that.  It's $22 if you have the basic (Premium) beverage package and included in Premium Plus.  

To clarify, it's $29/pp/day plus 20% tip.  So $34.80 all in.  Whether it's worthwhile depends on you and you travel companion's drinking habits.  For me, in a room by myself, it was more than worthwhile, not merely because of the alcohol (though that too...)

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 9:30 PM, phillygwm said:

As a practical matter, I don't think anyone actually pays that.  It's $22 if you have the basic (Premium) beverage package and included in Premium Plus.  

Still $22 is a lot for me for just a glass.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:50 PM, Esv104 said:

Johnny Walker Blue:  some have spoken of drinking it on a ship with Premium Plus.  Is it included with premium plus, or is it an additional charge? 

Here is the Haven "Premium Plus" bar list - meaning you get all these included if you are PP+.  If not, the noted upcharge applies plus 20% gratuity.

Haven Lounge Prem Plus 1.jpg

Haven Lounge Prem Plus 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

We have two cabins, with me in one, wife in other (need adult in each with kids).  Reservations are linked, but in each of our names. Am I able to get the upgrade individually, or will they ultimately charge my wife as well? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Esv104 said:

We have two cabins, with me in one, wife in other (need adult in each with kids).  Reservations are linked, but in each of our names. Am I able to get the upgrade individually, or will they ultimately charge my wife as well? 

I travelled with my parents last December in two cabins, with reservations showing "travel with" each other.  When I inquired about upgrading to PP+, the bar tender only said DW needed to upgrade since we are in the same cabin.  She didn't say anything about the my parents' reservation or the need to upgrade.

10 hours ago, Esv104 said:

Have you tried logging into "your" account to test it in the "Explore and Plan" section of MY NCL, then "Beverage Packages and Venues" to test that for yourself?  You don't "have to commit" to selection, since you can just sign-out without paying!  (Ultimately, it might work-out for you.)

16 hours ago, KurtMo said:

Here is the Haven "Premium Plus" bar list - meaning you get all these included if you are PP+.  If not, the noted upcharge applies plus 20% gratuity.

Haven Lounge Prem Plus 1.jpg

Haven Lounge Prem Plus 2.jpg

Is it possible to post a better picture of the wine list? I know the other menu. To show the wife the joy she can experience and not complain about the $500 extra would be a dream come true! LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Have you tried logging into "your" account to test it in the "Explore and Plan" section of MY NCL, then "Beverage Packages and Venues" to test that for yourself?  You don't "have to commit" to selection, since you can just sign-out without paying!  (Ultimately, it might work-out for you.)

Yes, but the two reservations have different numbers.  So, it's not an option to see my wife's name within my reservation. Don't know I they will hit her up with the charge automatically on the other reservation.  Is it the same price on the ship to upgrade? 

Can't stress enough just save up the extra $500 for 2 and do this.

Yes u can easily go to the lido deck and fill up water bottles or got to a bar and ask for tap water or drink regular coffee and drink lower tier wine and spirits.

But for $250 a person u are treated differently.  And if you are like me, your tolerance is just better when u drink higher end *****.

My drink of choice by the pool?  Patron Anejo with La Croix club soda and a splash of pineapple with a lime.  

My drink at dinner?  A bottle of Isabelle Mondavi and we would take a bottle of Moet Chandon to the room

Fully customized Starbucks drinks every morning . . . $9 customizations.

During the day it was Hendricks, Macallen Quest often and countless glasses of Veuve Cliquet.

Probably ran through 60+ cartons of water between the 2 of us between port days and on the ship.  Plenty of San Pellegrino.

Again could I have potentially saved by tweaking a few things, sure . . . But the fact that I just got what I wanted at any time made it worth the investment.

• Like 9

Do you find you excessively force yourself to drink knowing you spent an extra $500 on the drink package? Knowing I spent the extra I would go out of my way to drink more and customize my Starbucks even though I don’t care for any of those moca latte fappo whatever’s. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Do you find you excessively force yourself to drink knowing you spent an extra $500 on the drink package? Knowing I spent the extra I would go out of my way to drink more and customize my Starbucks even though I don’t care for any of those moca latte fappo whatever’s. 

I am the Op-Ed.  Your question is the one that is asked the most.  I have never drank more just to get my money's worth.  I am sure some folks look at it that way.  Instead, I upgrade because I like all the benefits of this program.  I write extensively about this Premium Plus programs and the Haven.  My thoughts are, for one week a year, I want to be treated like a "Rock Star".  Trying high end spirits, my wife gaining a full bottle of selected wines at dinner which she can then take back to the suite.  These and every other benefit of this program we take advantage of.

Is it worth the money, NO. Do I do it every time, YES.  Is it for everyone, NO.  Can you do an accounting and so almost the same thing just pay the overage, YES.  Should someone who does not drink a lot consider it, up to them.  All interesting debates.  As my adult son tells me all the time, "Dad, you do you!"  

All I ever want to do is educate folks on how to leverage the program to get the most out of it without ending up in getting sick because we drank to much. Once you know what the program can do, you make your own decision.

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Not at all.  

I mean you have to remember, you get a drink package no matter what so the amount you drink on the standard vs. The premium won't change much from an alcoholic perspective.

The standard is very solid for alcohol. U can do very well on it.

This premium program shines in 4 areas: Unlimited Non alcoholic drinks, unlimited higher end alcoholic drinks that allow you to see why they are more expensive, higher end wines/champagnes/dinner bottles, and the 40% off extra cost items.

That last one was amazing as we did a Macallan tasting flight for $12 that included generous pours of the included Quest, and two of the not included higher end Macallens.  Can get plenty drunk off just the Quest but my intent wasn't to get drunk, it was to experience, and this program allows you to do this.

Honestly the biggest negative to the program is when it comes to port days you are less interested in doing stuff on shore that Includes say a rum punch, for example, because you know you have access to high end rum and experiment ability on the ship for no cost.

Also the bartenders eyes light up when they see your card and it has the plus designation.  They definitely remember you more than others during the week.

• Like 3