Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

They do recork the bottle for you. The way we approached this benefit was.  We order a bottle of wine at dinner and usually finished it.  Then we ordered a second bottle, they opened it and we took it to the cabin.  We ended up with several opened bottles so we never ran out of cabin wine.

Would you clarify this?  Do you get to order an unlimited number of bottles with dinner as part of the PP package, or did you need to pay after the first one?

3 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Would you clarify this?  Do you get to order an unlimited number of bottles with dinner as part of the PP package, or did you need to pay after the first one?

Happy to clarify.  Good question also.  Simple answer, you can order any of the "Selected Bottles" (Has an asterisk next to the bottle and on footnote says available for "Plus" package) one at a time for the same bottle.  So if my wife wanted white and I wanted red, two bottles would be on the table.  When you consume on, they more then happy to provide another bottle.  Just not two of the same bottles at the same time.  It is all complementary and part of the package. 

For this reason is the main reason we always get the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  Please also know, we were n the Haven at the time.  So when I requested a bottle, either Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner; they brought it.  For use and our experiences was, any meal.  I also got bottled water from the Haven Bar with this program also.

I hope this answered your questions. 

Cruise well.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Happy to clarify.  Good question also.  Simple answer, you can order any of the "Selected Bottles" (Has an asterisk next to the bottle and on footnote says available for "Plus" package) one at a time for the same bottle.  So if my wife wanted white and I wanted red, two bottles would be on the table.  When you consume on, they more then happy to provide another bottle.  Just not two of the same bottles at the same time.  It is all complementary and part of the package. 

For this reason is the main reason we always get the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  Please also know, we were n the Haven at the time.  So when I requested a bottle, either Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner; they brought it.  For use and our experiences was, any meal.  I also got bottled water from the Haven Bar with this program also.

I hope this answered your questions. 

Cruise well.

Does the Premium Plus get you multiple bottles of wine/champagne at a meal outside The Haven also?

7 minutes ago, exgman said:

Does the Premium Plus get you multiple bottles of wine/champagne at a meal outside The Haven also?

The answer is yes.  My experience was that when I went to other restaurants, they were not as familiar with the program.  It took a second or two to ask the question but it always worked out.  Hope that helps. 

Please know, the "Plus" program is for any guest, not just Haven Guests.  I make my distinction because it seemed the Haven Staff better understood the "Plus" program without asking.

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

First things first.  You quoted me two cancelations ago, LOL.  I am now on the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021.  Fun times.  On to your question.  

They had two bottle waters.  Gas and no gas.  It was Pellegrino.  Please also remember NCL is attempting to go to special water bottles that are like milk cartons now for sustainability issues.  I am not sure how that will effect the bottles of water.  My guess is, Pellegrino will still be available for the "Plus" program.

They do recork the bottle for you. The way we approached this benefit was.  We order a bottle of wine at dinner and usually finished it.  Then we ordered a second bottle, they opened it and we took it to the cabin.  We ended up with several opened bottles so we never ran out of cabin wine.

I hope that answers your questions.

Cruise well.

Usually we order ahead a case of the "Just Water" in the milk type of cartons, they are then waiting in our cabin for us. If we went to the haven bar, could we get a few of these cartons to take back to the cabin or just by the glass? Thank you for all of the answers and we will see you on the 27th.

2 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

Usually we order ahead a case of the "Just Water" in the milk type of cartons, they are then waiting in our cabin for us. If we went to the haven bar, could we get a few of these cartons to take back to the cabin or just by the glass? Thank you for all of the answers and we will see you on the 27th.

Can't speak to the haven, but I get the P+ package and just get several cartons at any bar on the ship to take to my room.

• Like 1

Without going into calculations etc..  wouldn't one have to consume primarily from the premium plus list to make it worthwhile? i.e. if I wanted Woodford Reserve in something 2x a day ( it was included in 2018). Even if it was $5 more twice I would still come out ahead my not upgrading.

However, two much alcohol is bad for you and your immune system and the whole thing is a scam to begin with. The ship would have to have the alcohol available any to purchase.

If I ever make it on a cruise again I will drink less no more than 6 drinks in a day spaced out period.

50 minutes ago, mjcatlvr said:

The bar will give you bottled water with the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  I did it all the time. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Without going into calculations etc..  wouldn't one have to consume primarily from the premium plus list to make it worthwhile? i.e. if I wanted Woodford Reserve in something 2x a day ( it was included in 2018). Even if it was $5 more twice I would still come out ahead my not upgrading.

However, two much alcohol is bad for you and your immune system and the whole thing is a scam to begin with. The ship would have to have the alcohol available any to purchase.

If I ever make it on a cruise again I will drink less no more than 6 drinks in a day spaced out period.

Depends on how much and what you're drinking. I'm a huge whistle pig fan, that's an extra $20 per drink just there. I also don't love their wine list but there are some drinkable ones for ~$30 a glass. If I drink a couple of these, plus a couple bottles of water, I'm more than getting my value out of the upgrade.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HowardK said:

If we look at the investment or cost, it is less then a great deal for many.  If we look at that the experience of having the options makes for a better vacation, then worth it.  Our nature is sometimes to do the math. I would have to drink this or that to make it worth while.  In my humble opinion.  Not a great strategy.  Just do what makes your vacation better for your needs and know that value is subjective. 

Cruise well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chillyw said:

Depends on how much and what you're drinking. I'm a huge whistle pig fan, that's an extra $20 per drink just there. I also don't love their wine list but there are some drinkable ones for ~$30 a glass. If I drink a couple of these, plus a couple bottles of water, I'm more than getting my value out of the upgrade.

Do you mind sharing the $30 a glass wines? Would love to try something new that I normally wouldn't get. Thanks!

4 hours ago, HowardK said:

I get my monies worth with the booze, the bottled water (and san pelligrino) and coffee drinks. On top of that I'll usually attend one or two of the tastings, and you get a 40% off those as well.

Edited by Nicky Mouse
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mjcatlvr said:

Do you mind sharing the $30 a glass wines? Would love to try something new that I normally wouldn't get. Thanks!

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of reds. Castillo Banfi's Sangiovese is really good and worth a taste. 

I'm not a big fan of the cheaper Mondavi stuff but they have a couple good glasses on the wine cellars menu with the Isabella Mondavi Pinot and Emblem Cab.

Not sure about the Silverado Vineyards cab, haven't had that one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

If we look at the investment or cost, it is less then a great deal for many.  If we look at that the experience of having the options makes for a better vacation, then worth it.  Our nature is sometimes to do the math. I would have to drink this or that to make it worth while.  In my humble opinion.  Not a great strategy.  Just do what makes your vacation better for your needs and know that value is subjective. 

Cruise well.

I would also add the convenience factor,  which we each have to calculate and value for ourselves. 

Other than vacation,  I don't drink any alcohol.   On a cruise,  give me something frozen, ice creamy and fruity.  I'm a light weight,  I don't want to taste the alcohol!

However, I'm in vacation.   I don't want to pay extra for anything.  I don't want to have to think (I may ne accused of that while not on vacation).  If my wife wants 3 Starbucls a day, I don't want to argue and ask her if she knows what she's wasting.   She can just go do it.  I cam have a bottle of water and not have to wonder if there's some machine on board that separate the water from the waste and do I die of e coli poisoning if it isn't working properly.  I don't have to worry about finding a soda that's diet AND caffeine free or that they might run out (it happened once).  

I simply spend the money up front and now I'm completely stress free about beverages.   

• Like 3

Speaking of waters, BC (before covid) they used bottled tonic water or soda water for our drinks in the Haven with the PPB package . Might have also been available at the Atrium Bar or Maltings, I don’t recall.

Edited by aero777

First time cruiser on the Joy with FCC to burn and thinking about upgrading to Premium Plus!

Can someone clarify- are the nicer wines available in the main dining room or just at specialty restaurants? We only have two specialty dining credits and if only available at the special places, it doesn't seem very worth it to me? I love the idea of not having to worry about the cost of what I'm drinking though.

Without calculations, it is 100% a personal decision on worth it.  We upgraded tp PP for the first time for our December cruise. Before drink packages because of waters, coffees and bottles of wine, we had excessive tabs, this is far cheaper than those tabs = worth it. 

With calculations, we enjoy drinks especially when on vacation. If you have a drink before dinner, a GOOD wine with dinner, a drink after dinner, champagne in the morning (more Veuve ma'am? YES, please)  something fantastic in your coffee, Whatever brand of sparkling water they have, you are more than covering the cost. If you don't drink these drinks, then it would not be worth it to  you. We did this instead of upgrading our room to Haven, we don't have to be pampered to have a fantastic time but some do. It is  your preference. Ours it to have all options. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

You call NCL.  They put you to the excursion and dining staff.  The cancel it and refund to the card used.  I hope that helps. 

Figured that.  You can sign up for online but  you have to call to cancel.   Typical.  Make it easy to spend, hard to save.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Figured that.  You can sign up for online but  you have to call to cancel.   Typical.  Make it easy to spend, hard to save.

Usually I would argue however your statement is correct.  When I was recently on Crystal Cruises, everything could be done online.  One more thing, when you made an excursion reservation not money changed hands.  They only had one drink program and everyone got it.  

Now that I have said that, as long as we know the rules, I just work within them.  Just differences between brands.