Anthem of the seas for first cruise?

Kashagi

Hi all,

So after many years I am now going to be booking my first cruise for next year. 

I am looking to do Norway Fjords. 

Royal Caribbean only seem to be using Anthem of the seas for that area next year. 

As someone going on a cruise for there first time, would you recommend Anthem of the seas? The reason I ask, it is such a bigger and more modern ship than a lot of the others and I wonder if it would set the standard a bit too high for other cruises?

If I start with Anthem would it make other cruise ships feel dated and not as good? 

Hoping I am getting my point across well but I am very sleepy this morning :) 

I did look at doing the 14 day cruise to the Fjords and Iceland  with Norwegian Cruise line but that is quite a bit more expensive.  

I am a 40 year old guy and I will be going on my own. 

So yea just wondered if anyone had any reservations about a first time cruise going on one of the bigger newer ships.

Thanks a lot

Ny first Cruise was at ‘the biggest cruise ship in the world’ - I have been sailing all RCCL class ships Since and Antem is my absolute favorite - but it’s not all about the ship - it is also the itinerary.   Norwegian fjords are great. Some inspiration below.

enjoy your cruise .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kashagi said:

.....As someone going on a cruise for there first time, would you recommend Anthem of the seas? The reason I ask, it is such a bigger and more modern ship than a lot of the others and I wonder if it would set the standard a bit too high for other cruises?

If I start with Anthem would it make other cruise ships feel dated and not as good? ....

You have some faulty misassumptions.

Bigger/newer isn't necessarily better. 

For example, Oceania has just invested $25 million per each of its 4 "R" ships (which each have a 670 passenger load) for a total interior remodel.

Though O may be out of your price range, do know that most of O's regular repeat passengers would never cruise on a ship like Anthem for what should be obvious reasons.

That said, there are seasoned cruisers who like the megaships, their prices, etc.

Bottom line IMO: Cruising is one industry where you get what you pay for and quality will always be more important than quantity.

14 hours ago, Kashagi said:

So after many years I am now going to be booking my first cruise for next year. 

I am looking to do Norway Fjords. 

I would be happy to again visit the Norwegian Fjords even by canoe - the natural beauty is simply stunning! For myself, cruises are all about the ports - I don't spend much time aboard ship except to eat and sleep (with the occasional sea day). You would need to ask yourself what it is that you want ... is it the cruise experience with many onboard activities or is your primary interest in visiting the ports at which your ship will dock?

FYI - the Anthem will likely cater to a demographic older than yourself (if that makes any difference).

22 hours ago, Kashagi said:

Anthem of the seas for first cruise?

Absolutely!  Go for it.  Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line and that is a great class of ships.  Not only will you be on a fantastic itinerary, but you'll also have some of the best entertainment and amenities at sea.  I've cruised numerous lines but still lean toward Royal Caribbean as a favorite.  In fact, I have Anthem's sister, Quantum, booked for next year.  

I think it would be pretty cool to go up in the North Star while in the Fjords.  

• Like 1