Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

Well done @sfred.  Samos ✔️

I knew those videos were good for more than putting people to sleep.

I made the same error with Bari. But there may be an issue with it as a Cunard port. Do you only have one visit for Cunard Princess, somewhere around the 14th or 15th Sept? We were scheduled to go there but it was changed to Katakolon, I think just before we sailed (it was nearly 30 years ago). Vistafjord was in Katakolon with us, so if her Bari call was the same day it didn't happen either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Today I'll go ahead and identify the port in this photo. I was confused for a while about this one since there are three boats in the photo which at first glance appear to have the United States Coast Guard insignia on them.

80px-CGMark_W.svg.png

I spent quite a bit of time trying unsuccessfully to identify this as a port in the United States.

As it turns out though that isn't the Unites States Coast Guard insignia in this photo after all. It's actually the insignia of the Italian Guardia Costiera.

80px-Guardia_Costiera.svg.png

Then it became a matter of searching for Italian ports we haven't seen yet on this thread. I eventually found a match to this photo at the port of Bari, Italy.

Bari is not a port for the current Cunard fleet, but I've found references that it was a port for both Cunard Princess and Vistafjord in 1992.

I was going down a similar Coast Guard path last night, but fell into a Turkey rabbit hole.  The Turkish coast guard has a similar red stripe (theirs accompanied by a dark blue or black narrow band), and there are photos roughly matching the boat shapes in the @Palmeat photo.  Of Turkey ports we haven't seen yet, Wikipedia says they have bases in Samsun on the Black Sea and Mersin on the Mediterranean, so I looked there, but neither matched the port confiuguration.  At that point, it was bedtime, so I gave up.

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I made the same error with Bari. But there may be an issue with it as a Cunard port. Do you only have one visit for Cunard Princess, somewhere around the 14th or 15th Sept? We were scheduled to go there but it was changed to Katakolon, I think just before we sailed (it was nearly 30 years ago). Vistafjord was in Katakolon with us, so if her Bari call was the same day it didn't happen either. 

I'm really kicking myself over that Samos answer. The photograph definitely  rang a bell and checking through my library,  sure enough we were there with Queen Victoria on 7th October 2008...

4661518_SamoswaterfrontBarbara7Oct2008.jpg.218d041d66fca0e4e919fb6f828791bf.jpg

We actually grabbed a taxi from there and headed around to a truly outstanding coastal village called Kokkari...

2013868868_Kokkari1SamosIslandOct2008.jpg.d2941a19e27014db6fbd7bad08234c2e.jpg

1179515414_Kokkari2SamosIslandOct2008.jpg.a7c88a02cd79eeb7f7afa1cfbc7b52d5.jpg

And on that note can I just say a big thank you from me to all participants on this thread. One most favourable result, certainly for me,  has been that it has given me the inclination to revisit so many places through my photographic library: places that, over the years, I'd forgotten as newer and more sought after destinations came on the market. The result of which has turned up some pretty outstanding personal memories.

Cheers to you all. Happy cruising soon.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_5830.JPG

I think that just leaves this one?

The whole thing has a sort of Norway/Canada/Alaska look to it. Then I spotted the palm trees!

So while I continue to work on that I'll distract the rest of you with this. I thought I would have had a better photo of this port having been there twice on two different Cunard ships, but there is a clue in there. (And who's that wee boy?)

023.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm really kicking myself over that Samos answer. The photograph definitely  rang a bell and checking through my library,  sure enough we were there with Queen Victoria on 7th October 2008...

It should have looked familiar. It was taken on 7th October 2008.

Have another look at the video. You never know, you might spot yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It should have looked familiar. It was taken on 7th October 2008.

Have another look at the video. You never know, you might spot yourself.

Alas No Colin, probably due to in those days I was never still for long enough. I guess however we were in pretty close proximity in Dubrovnik...

1808203753_DubrovnikWalls1.jpg.902da3444d272b2d9e2783b3f097d29d.jpg

8 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Excellent to have firsthand accounts such as this!

I did originally have only a general reference to Cunard Princess planning to be at Bari sometime during 1992 and Vistafjord planning to be there during a mid-September cruise which is the problematic timeframe you've mentioned.

Subsequently I've found Cunard Princess itineraries where she was scheduled to be at Bari during cruises departing Venice on May 9, June 6, July 4 and October 10, 1992 in addition to the September 12, 1992 departure from Venice which is presumably the one you were on. Hopefully she actually made it to Bari on one of those other occasions.

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

If I'd realised Dover was a Cunard port I'd have posted this earlier !

I was thinking that once I’d run out of photos I’d post a list of Cunard ports that I’d been to but didn’t have any photos of.

Then I thought maybe it would be better to wait until we’d all run out and “a volunteer” could collate a master list of unseen Cunard ports, either because one of us had been there but didn’t have any photos, or from @bluemarble‘s list of itineraries, or whatever.

Maybe someone else might have a photo but didn’t realise it was a Cunard port.Like me with Mindelo, or Hattie with Dover.

We wouldn’t be guessing completely blind, but it would be more challenging than one person saying ‘I know Cunard has been to Dover’, then someone else posts a picture and we all go, “Well we all know where that is.”

I’ve a few more up my sleeve yet. Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts?

On 4/13/2021 at 9:48 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_5830.JPG

OK, I'll go ahead and identify this one now. It's not quite "tomorrow" yet where I am, but after what I just figured out about this port while checking my port list, it's probably best that I identify it now.

I used the same strategy for this photo that I employed previously, looking at Oceania Nautica 2017 itineraries from Cape Town to Singapore. If I have it figured correctly, that's the cruise @Palmeat was on for the photos previously contributed of Phuket, Dar es Salaam, Durban and Zanzibar. That strategy paid off when I found a match for this photo to the port of "Mahé, Seychelles" as it's listed on those Nautica itineraries.

Although I initially thought this was a new port for this thread (and one not visited by the current Cunard fleet), I just recalled the name of the port for the island of Mahé is Port Victoria. This port is listed as "Port Victoria, Seychelles" on the Cunard itineraries and @Solent Richard contributed this photo of Queen Victoria there last month.

DSCN8660.jpg.fa5f5969cefc1d4a998ca2a1cf5

So, I'm afraid this doesn't count as a new port after all. It is a distinctly different view of the port though, so that's all good.

• Like 1

Now that I think we've identified all the port photos contributed so far, it's probably a good time for an updated list of the ports we've seen so far on this thread. My current count is 303 different ports/destinations that we've identified on this thread from photos/webcam images.

In the interest of completeness, I've decided to keep Seattle on this list. In the interest of accuracy, I have footnoted it as "*unable to verify as a Cunard port" since I haven't been able to find a reference yet to a Cunard ship having called there.

I've also added "Mindelo" to the name of the Cape Verde port and "Mahe" to the name of the Seychelles port to help avoid any further confusion about those ports.

Here's the updated list.

Where in the World 2021-04-16.txt

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I was thinking that once I’d run out of photos I’d post a list of Cunard ports that I’d been to but didn’t have any photos of.

Then I thought maybe it would be better to wait until we’d all run out and “a volunteer” could collate a master list of unseen Cunard ports, either because one of us had been there but didn’t have any photos, or from @bluemarble‘s list of itineraries, or whatever.

Maybe someone else might have a photo but didn’t realise it was a Cunard port.Like me with Mindelo, or Hattie with Dover.

We wouldn’t be guessing completely blind, but it would be more challenging than one person saying ‘I know Cunard has been to Dover’, then someone else posts a picture and we all go, “Well we all know where that is.”

I’ve a few more up my sleeve yet. Thoughts anyone?

Thoughts?

I'm on board for any effort to keep this thread going as long as possible. As the keeper of the list of ports seen so far, and since I've compiled a list of all the itineraries for the current Cunard fleet, I'll be glad to volunteer to collate a master list of unseen Cunard ports.

I haven't created a complete list of all the unseen ports on the itineraries for the current Cunard fleet, but I can tell it's in excess of 100 ports. I have little doubt I'll find more looking though the partial QE2 and Caronia itineraries I have. Plus I know I can come up with a few more from the smattering of itineraries for older ships such as the Sea Goddesses that I found while researching whether Cunard has called at some of the ports we've recently identified.

Too bad we don't have a messaging facility to send me your lists of unseen Cunard ports that way for me to collate into a master list. Of course everyone could post their lists here, but I imagine that would cause a fair amount of confusion. I do have an email address available for just such a situation. I could post that email address here if that sounds like the best way for anyone with known Cunard ports we haven't seen yet to send those port names to me.

Host Hattie - Mahon, Menorca is correct. Good spot. It's a lovely sail up the estuary to arrive in the town. 

Bluemarble - I'd checked your list before posting Port Victoria, but evidently erred (again).

As a newcomer to this game, I'm happy to go with the flow re future format. In the meantime, I have quite a few more photos of ports which probably/possibly enjoy Cunard DNA. Here are a couple of new ones (which I've cross-checked with blue marble's latest list!).

IMG_2067.JPG

L1010590.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:57 AM, Solent Richard said:

Congratulations, I'm convinced too. Sept Îles it is and it was in 2017 that that the Queen Mary 2  

changed her itinerary on short notice due to the 10-knot speed limit in the Gulf of St Lawrence to protect stray whales. She had to cancel a call at Gaspé...

1126867375_Gaspe4StatueEnMemoiredElle.jpg.93a2d09340f0860b373cad15ee18fdc8.jpg

...and go to Sept Iles instead. It was not planned to go to Sept Iles until 2018 but the call was nevertheless a sucess.

Sept Îles is well worth a visit...

492792760_SeptIles6RichardatZodiacgangway.jpg.b3773431970c6c1f67cddc03d1dc58b2.jpg

1705916679_VieuxPoste2Entrance.jpg.f7a8e5e85bf79f7b346f1d207ac8ec97.jpg

Thank you for confirming. l was there in 2019 and concur it is an interesting place to visit.

My shot of the harbour attached, from a slightly different angle but displays the distinctive layout from which I identified the port.

9F0A449F-453C-4BD1-A26B-B891BECA2417.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I'll go ahead and identify this one now. It's not quite "tomorrow" yet where I am, but after what I just figured out about this port while checking my port list, it's probably best that I identify it now.

I used the same strategy for this photo that I employed previously, looking at Oceania Nautica 2017 itineraries from Cape Town to Singapore. If I have it figured correctly, that's the cruise @Palmeat was on for the photos previously contributed of Phuket, Dar es Salaam, Durban and Zanzibar. That strategy paid off when I found a match for this photo to the port of "Mahé, Seychelles" as it's listed on those Nautica itineraries.

Although I initially thought this was a new port for this thread (and one not visited by the current Cunard fleet), I just recalled the name of the port for the island of Mahé is Port Victoria. This port is listed as "Port Victoria, Seychelles" on the Cunard itineraries and @Solent Richard contributed this photo of Queen Victoria there last month.

DSCN8660.jpg.fa5f5969cefc1d4a998ca2a1cf5

So, I'm afraid this doesn't count as a new port after all. It is a distinctly different view of the port though, so that's all good.

Grrrrr. I looked at that shed and thought 'I've seen that' and started my library search - not thinking to go back to Mahe and Port Victoria which had already been identified. After a fruitless 20 minutes I gave up.

Now its been identified of course I was correct in my assumption...

947629753_PortVictoriaMahe12019.jpg.0ac212c14377b67cad75d36a137dcdfb.jpg

I had been interested in what those guys were doing on the jetty. And then I appeared again as we sailed away later that evening...

456536328_PortVictoriaMahe22019.jpg.bd946b08b42698260416c57df071813d.jpg

...down there in the lower left corner and again in the background as we said farewell to our private tour guide...

1950213220_IanandBarbara.jpg.5e8d36c5ae48a750033d4b5b4068c5a1.jpg

What fun this game is. 😃

37 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Thank you for confirming. l was there in 2019 and concur it is an interesting place to visit.

My shot of the harbour attached, from a slightly different angle but displays the distinctive layout from which I identified the port.

9F0A449F-453C-4BD1-A26B-B891BECA2417.jpeg

My pleasure Yaldi. Wouldn't have been on Arcadia would it?