Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

L1040555.JPG

I see a match to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica nearby to the Playa Los Baños.  Costa Rica has been on my short list of places to go to for several years now.  Hopefully someday....

Enjoy your UK staycation!

5 hours ago, Palmeat said:

@bluemarble I was about to post this one - I think it's Port Suez? Additionally, you are quite correct with your identification of Belem. Congratulations. Finally, many thanks for updating the lists. 

That is indeed Port Suez. I think that may be the last photo I have of a port on the unseen port list. 🙁

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm quoting this post of mine for two reasons.

The first reason is simply to bring these lists forward to the new browser page we've just started about an hour ago to make them easier to find.

The second reason is to point out that I forgot to move my own photo contribution of Charlottetown from the unseen port list to the seen port list. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island should have been removed from the latest "Cunard ports not seen yet" list and added to the "Where in the World" list.

Let me know if you notice any other discrepancies in those lists.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I'm quoting this post of mine for two reasons.

The first reason is simply to bring these lists forward to the new browser page we've just started about an hour ago to make them easier to find.

The second reason is to point out that I forgot to move my own photo contribution of Charlottetown from the unseen port list to the seen port list. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island should have been removed from the latest "Cunard ports not seen yet" list and added to the "Where in the World" list.

Let me know if you notice any other discrepancies in those lists.

@bluemarble - there are a lot of ports on the list I don't recognise, but if we're being picky I'd delete Seville as it's miles from the coast and definitely not a port - usually reached on a full day tour from Cadiz.

7 hours ago, Palmeat said:

As I'm away for a few days on a UK Staycation, may I take the liberty of adding a couple more locations to consider in case I'm unable to contribute? The first 2 images are the same place - I added the 2nd to offer a little more info (our guide advised the skyline was used as a backdrop in a King Kong film?). The other location is equally challenging, so I'll offer a clue - it's on the Caribbean side of Central America. Bon chance!

L1040555.JPG

On the grounds it half-time for the football I'm going to have a stab at this one.

I think it's Puerto Limon in Costa Rica and that photograph is taken in the vicinity of Playa Los Baños. 

3 hours ago, sfred said:

I see a match to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica nearby to the Playa Los Baños.  Costa Rica has been on my short list of places to go to for several years now.  Hopefully someday....

Correct Richard and @sfred (sort of)  My cruise records show the port of call as Puerto Moin, but I can see from the map that it's right next door to Puerto Limon , so if you've been able to definitively identify the photo as 'Limon' I must have strolled there from the 'Moin' quayside. The photo below shows the high street if in any way that helps arrive at a definitive destination. Apologies for any confusion.  @bluemarble  as both ports are on the list, I'm not sure which to delete. Both?

L1040554.JPG

Edited by Palmeat

3 hours ago, sfred said:

2 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Correct @sfred (sort of)  My cruise records show the port of call as Puerto Moin, but I can see from the map that it's right next door to Puerto Limon , so if you've been able to definitively identify the photo as 'Limon' I must have strolled there from the 'Moin' quayside. The photo below shows the high street if in any way that helps arrive at a definitive destination. Apologies for any confusion.  @bluemarble  as both ports are on the list, I'm not sure which to delete. Both?

L1040554.JPG

Oh humble apologies, I missed @sfred 's earlier stab. 

Congratulations, together we are getting there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

@bluemarble - there are a lot of ports on the list I don't recognise, but if we're being picky I'd delete Seville as it's miles from the coast and definitely not a port - usually reached on a full day tour from Cadiz.

We may need @Colin_Cameron to weigh in on this one since he submitted Seville as an unseen Cunard port based on Sea Goddess I having called there. It was on that basis that I added Seville to our unseen ports list. It seems plausible that a smaller ship such as Sea Goddess I might have made it to the port of Seville.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Correct Richard and @sfred (sort of)  My cruise records show the port of call as Puerto Moin, but I can see from the map that it's right next door to Puerto Limon , so if you've been able to definitively identify the photo as 'Limon' I must have strolled there from the 'Moin' quayside. The photo below shows the high street if in any way that helps arrive at a definitive destination. Apologies for any confusion.  @bluemarble  as both ports are on the list, I'm not sure which to delete. Both?

L1040554.JPG

I think Puerto Moin and Puerto Limon may have been separate Cunard ports. I have QM2 itineraries showing a call to Puerto Moin in 2006 and then two subsequent calls to Limon in 2008. There's a similar situation with QE2 itineraries showing calls to both Puerto Moin and Limon. I also see several calls to Limon listed in the itineraries of other past Cunard ships.

I've found La Salamandra Bar that's shown in this photo located on Avenida Jose Maria Castro in Limon.

I'm inclined to identify this one as Puerto Limon and leave Puerto Moin on our unseen ports list. Now if you would happen to have a photo showing your ship docked in nearby Puerto Moin, we could also count Puerto Moin as a port we've seen on this thread.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

We may need @Colin_Cameron to weigh in on this one since he submitted Seville as an unseen Cunard port based on Sea Goddess I having called there. It was on that basis that I added Seville to our unseen ports list. It seems plausible that a smaller ship such as Sea Goddess I might have made it to the port of Seville.

Even the MS Europa with almost 200 metres length does sail directly into Seville.

Thus I am quite confident that Sea Goddess(es) made it, too.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Even the MS Europa with almost 200 metres length does sail directly into Seville.

Oops - my apologies. I hadn't appreciated ships could sail to Seville.

38 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think Puerto Moin and Puerto Limon may have been separate Cunard ports. I have QM2 itineraries showing a call to Puerto Moin in 2006 and then two subsequent calls to Limon in 2008. There's a similar situation with QE2 itineraries showing calls to both Puerto Moin and Limon. I also see several calls to Limon listed in the itineraries of other past Cunard ships.

I've found La Salamandra Bar that's shown in this photo located on Avenida Jose Maria Castro in Limon.

I'm inclined to identify this one as Puerto Limon and leave Puerto Moin on our unseen ports list. Now if you would happen to have a photo showing your ship docked in nearby Puerto Moin, we could also count Puerto Moin as a port we've seen on this thread.

Thanks @bluemarble - mystery solved. Here's a photo of our ship alongside at Puerto Moin - and I've consulted the daily programme for our visit which also states Puerto Moin. So that's Puerto Moin off our list for the port.

The previous photos were for Puerto Limon and I can now see I took the ship's shuttle there. No shots of Puerto Limon port of course, but I guess that can also be knocked off the list? Peter

L1040565.JPG

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, carlmm said:

As with @carlmm, I knew that much larger (although not Large, by today’s standards) ships do sail upriver to Seville, so I had no hesitation in adding it to the list for one of the Sea Goddesses.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
Ex-Cunard Crown Dynasty, Fred Olsen’s Braemar does this reasonably regularly.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Not a very good quality photo, but this is one I can contribute of a Cunard port we haven't seen yet.

image.thumb.png.13a52da03480e08b4d20e0f4b8662ad9.png

17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That is indeed Port Suez. I think that may be the last photo I have of a port on the unseen port list. 🙁

Congratulations @bluemarble I too have a similar picture which was on my stock list for this thread. Never mind, someone else may appreciate it or I could possibly deposit in some 'Sunset' section 😁..

1380732640_PortSuez1.jpg.1d56d30e16f19e14342fa58d577e5d39.jpg

That was one long whole day transit along the canal and so pleased to have made it, albeit in fading daylight...

350181285_PortSuez2.jpg.b2c23d90ee72947e348ebe3c4ac97b99.jpg

On 5/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, carlmm said:

So how about this one?

Quest 15.JPG

Time for another clue?

First additional clue was:

On 5/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, carlmm said:

Before adding another photograph, let's say: Richard's way to approach this one was not that bad.

Next clue in way of an additional photograph, closer to the pier:

Quest 15 b.JPG

21 hours ago, Palmeat said:

As you guys solved PuertoMoin/Limon so swiftly, here's a new one for consideration

IMG_2004.JPG

@Solent Ɍichard, you have identified the correct country for this one, but I'm sorry to say I don't think this is Jakarta. That photo of yours showing the banner "Welcome to Jakarta" does allow us to add Jakarta to our list of Cunard ports seen on this thread, so that's a bonus.

The ship in this photo is of course the ferry KM Labobar of the Indonesian national Pelni line. Wikipedia tells me the Cunard ports on the current route for KM Labobar are Surabaya and Bitung. However, I couldn't get a match to either of those two ports. Never mind. That ferry's route has no doubt changed since this photo was taken.

After checking photo archives listing other places KM Labobar has called in the past, I was able to match this photo to Makassar. But wait, I hear you say Makassar is not on our list of unseen Cunard ports. That had me confused at first until I learned the previous/alternate name for Makassar is Ujung Padang.

I think this photo is showing the Cunard port of Ujung Padang, Indonesia.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carlmm said:

Next clue in way of an additional photograph, closer to the pier:

Quest 15 b.JPG

Ah! I think I've finally figured out this one. Now I just need to contain myself for about 12 more hours since I've already identified a port today. I don't think it will reveal too much by saying the sign on the building toward the left containing the word "PORT" actually reads "CARGO PORT". 😉

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Ah! I think I've finally figured out this one. Now I just need to contain myself for about 12 more hours since I've already identified a port today. I don't think it will reveal too much by saying the sign on the building toward the left containing the word "PORT" actually reads "CARGO PORT". 😉

I'm sorry to say there is a 0% risk that I will be able to beat you to this port's ID!   🙂