Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

You're heading in the right direction. 

I'll offer the guess that photo was taken from the High Line in Manhattan. I see rail tracks in the photo, and the sign that reads "PROTECT THE PLANTS - STAY ON THE PATH" is identical to signs found along the High Line.

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'll offer the guess that photo was taken from the High Line in Manhattan. I see rail tracks in the photo, and the sign that reads "PROTECT THE PLANTS - STAY ON THE PATH" is identical to signs found along the High Line.

So far so good. But what am I looking at?

47 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Guessing it has a Cunard connection. Is it the remnants of the Cunard White Star pier? 

That was what I was thinking too.  Chelsea piers / Pier 57?

34 minutes ago, sfred said:

That was what I was thinking too.  Chelsea piers / Pier 57?

Yes, White Star pier at 13th Street and West Side Hwy in Manhattan. 
Google Maps even shows Cunard/White Star Pier 54. 

What a great walk the High Line is!  Mrs. sfred and I try to do it anytime we pass through NYC.  Other cities are trying to replicate the experience.  I saw a good article recently about one being developed in Singapore along an old colonial-era railroad right of way.  I wish we had something like it in Brisbane.

• Like 1

Here are two photos of two unseen ports that are courtesy of @martinmct, who is aboard QE and has kindly given me permission to copy and paste these photos here for our game.

This first photo will be a bit obvious...  🙂

IMG_7934.png

This second port might be a little harder.  If you want a challenge, please do not read the latest posts in the "Queen Elizabeth position" thread which will give it away.

IMG_7938.png

Thanks again @martinmct!!   Best wishes for the remainder of your voyage.

5 hours ago, sfred said:

Here is a third port, also unseen and not on our unseen list, courtesy of @martinmct.  Again, if you'd like the challenge, don't look at the Queen Elizabeth position thread for the giveaway.

IMG_7942.png

Unfortunately I read the posts in the wrong order today - so can’t join in on guessing this time @sfred

To be honest I would never have guessed them correctly anyway 😂

• Like 1

It looks like all our game participants have either already read the giveaways in the "Queen Elizabeth position" thread or have been stumped by @martinmct's generous contributions.  I'll go ahead and reveal the very badly kept secret of the three previous photos, all of which are new ports for our list.

Kochi, Japan  (perhaps the worst kept secret given the welcome banner from the port greeters)

Aburatsu, Japan

Miyakojima - Hirara, Japan

This brings us up to 14 seen ports in Japan, bumping off Brazil for the number 10 spot in the top 10 countries seen.  625 ports and cruise-bys overall.

And, in case you're reading this thread first today, here is an additional new photo contribution from @martinmct.  This unseen port from our list isn't in Japan!

IMG_7948.png

• Thanks 1

As mentioned, with these three additional ports Japan has now entered the top 10 list of countries in the game.  Italy Greece and Australia remain tied for the number four spot at 29 ports each.  And France and Spain are tied for seventh at 25 ports each.

image.png.0be8ac00fe075b356d6fa2237959bfef.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, sfred said:

It looks like all our game participants have either already read the giveaways in the "Queen Elizabeth position" thread or have been stumped by @martinmct's generous contributions.  I'll go ahead and reveal the very badly kept secret of the three previous photos, all of which are new ports for our list.

Kochi, Japan  (perhaps the worst kept secret given the welcome banner from the port greeters)

Aburatsu, Japan

Miyakojima - Hirara, Japan

This brings us up to 14 seen ports in Japan, bumping off Brazil for the number 10 spot in the top 10 countries seen.  625 ports and cruise-bys overall.

And, in case you're reading this thread first today, here is an additional new photo contribution from @martinmct.  This unseen port from our list isn't in Japan!

IMG_7948.png

Not many clues in this picture.

1 hour ago, techteach said:

Not many clues in this picture.

No, I guess there aren't.  The bow mast flags that sometimes provide a clue are too far away to see, and there's not much detail on the pier.

A hint is that it is a port that was on @martinmct's voyage prior to arriving in Japan, in a nearby Asian country.  The "Queen Elizabeth position" thread gives it away, so avoid reading that if anyone wants to make some guesses.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sfred said:

No, I guess there aren't.  The bow mast flags that sometimes provide a clue are too far away to see, and there's not much detail on the pier.

A hint is that it is a port that was on @martinmct's voyage prior to arriving in Japan, in a nearby Asian country.  The "Queen Elizabeth position" thread gives it away, so avoid reading that if anyone wants to make some guesses.

Well that definitely helps me look it up @sfred 

Looking at that voyage then it must be Taiwan?  Not sure which port though!

And now I won’t be able to resist looking at the QE position thread… 😝

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:31 AM, Sue-B said:

Looking at that voyage then it must be Taiwan?  Not sure which port though!

As @Sue-B guessed, the port is indeed Taiwan, specifically Hualien Taiwan.  Port number 626 in the game.  Thanks again to @martinmct for the contribution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sue-B said:

Some aerial photos to share taken back in 2017 - it’s an unseen port on the list - so happy guessing 😀

Actually ignore these! The cruise port is further up the coastline! Unless you want to guess the airport! 

My mistake 😆😆😆

6 hours ago, Sue-B said:

Some aerial photos to share taken back in 2017 - it’s an unseen port on the list - so happy guessing 😀

Thanks @Sue-B.  That looks like the airport/olympic park at Sochi, Russia.  Indeed, an unseen port on the list, and one where Cunard is unlikely to visit again anytime soon.

This might be my last opportunity to beat @bluemarble to a port identification, as he returned to New York off QM2 earlier today US time.  🙂  I hope you had an excellent voyage @bluemarble, albeit shortened by QM2's mechanical issues.  I've enjoyed your photo postings.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @Sue-B.  That looks like the airport/olympic park at Sochi, Russia.  Indeed, an unseen port on the list, and one where Cunard is unlikely to visit again anytime soon.

This might be my last opportunity to beat @bluemarble to a port identification, as he returned to New York off QM2 earlier today US time.  🙂  I hope you had an excellent voyage @bluemarble, albeit shortened by QM2's mechanical issues.  I've enjoyed your photo postings.

Correct again @sfred - well done 😀😀😀

It’s Sochi seaport taken from the air on approach to the airport, but the Port of Sochi (big main cruise port) is much further up the coastline.  So not sure whether it can be counted or not in the game - but well done on your really quick correct guess! 

I had been looking through old photos on my phone and came across them so thought I’d post 😀 I hadn’t realised it wasn’t the main Sochi port area until I looked on google maps but had already posted them!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sue-B said:

Correct again @sfred - well done 😀😀😀

It’s Sochi seaport taken from the air on approach to the airport, but the Port of Sochi (big main cruise port) is much further up the coastline.  So not sure whether it can be counted or not in the game - but well done on your really quick correct guess! 

I had been looking through old photos on my phone and came across them so thought I’d post 😀 I hadn’t realised it wasn’t the main Sochi port area until I looked on google maps but had already posted them!

Thanks - I believe it should count, particularly as it is a personal photo taken during a trip you made to the port.  Port number 627 in the game, and only our third port in Russia (the other two being St. Petersburg and Yalta). 

• Like 1

Here are several more photos courtesy of @martinmct.  This is a different view of an existing port in the game, but it will be a new port because the terminal and pier shown here are located a significant distance away from the previous location we've seen.

The location is given away in the Queen Elizabeth position thread, so don't read that if you want to have a guess.

IMG_7994.png

IMG_7992.png

On 5/26/2023 at 5:04 PM, sfred said:

I'm back in the game now after a most enjoyable voyage on QM2 and a couple days back home. I'm not sure I would have figured out those photos were of Sochi, so well done, @sfred.

• Like 2