Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

I am gratified to be the one who's reply has allowed this amazing thread to reach the milestone of 5000 posts! I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone who has contributed to keep this thread going for so long. What an excellent idea started by @Host Hattie over three years ago! It has certainly turned into something of a hobby for me both to collect images to contribute and to identify those contributed by others.

For the unidentified port image at hand, I'll follow our practice of providing one hint per day, from more to less obscure, until someone is able to identify it.

For today's hint I'll start by confirming the port is not in Turkey (or New Mexico). I didn't realize what that domed structure is at the time, but it could very well prove to be a useful feature to identify this port. It seems out of place around other the port facilities in the image since it happens to be a museum.

You certainly deserve to be 5000. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. It's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've seen before. I'm figuring this one might be a challenge but let's see if you can prove me wrong about that.

WhereintheWorld(154).jpg.7de9271c7d61774c66de6e048925f9b5.jpg

I'm lost on this one. Hopefully that means I haven't been to this port.

1 minute ago, NE John said:

Great hint @bluemarble

Can you pls forward the updated “Seen/Not Seen” list somewhere in the thread?

I think these are our latest seen/not seen lists. Thanks for the reminder since I haven't posted updated lists for quite a while.

Where in the World 2023-08-15.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2023-08-15.txt

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's today's hint in the form of another view of the unidentified port from the same webcam, this time panned to the right to show more of the port but without a Cunard ship in view this time. That same dome/hut museum is at the far left in this view.

I'm still lost!  It shouldn't be so hard - there's so many good clues with the dome, storage tanks, bridge, blue barges with red and white poles, breakwater, etc etc.  But I got nothin'

• Like 1

Still stumped on above clue, but I can add to the Not Seen Port list.
Here is Atlantic City, NJ from the balcony of my late Aunt’s condo in Ocean City, NJ. Atlantic City is in the background across the water at the end of the rainbow!IMG_1876.thumb.jpeg.954baf808f93f073d5c58b0a8ff2bb72.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sfred said:

I'm still lost!  It shouldn't be so hard - there's so many good clues with the dome, storage tanks, bridge, blue barges with red and white poles, breakwater, etc etc.  But I got nothin'

I found s cruise port, blue tugs and oil tanks in a port in Taiwan, but that didn’t fit the bill. 
Tough one…

Edited by NE John

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

For today's hint on my unidentified port image, I'll provide some more detail about that dome/hut museum. That happens to be a museum dedicated to an art form unique to the region; one that involves mechanized puppets.

Wow - I was looking in entirely the wrong part of the world.  I fell down the rabbit hole of QE and QV's recent port calls in Europe and the Middle East, trying all sorts of places in the North Sea, Baltic, Channel, Med, Red Sea, etc.

The answer is Kanazawa, Japan.  The domed structure is the Ohno Karakuri Memorial Museum.

http://www.ohno-karakuri.jp/eng/

A great challenge, thanks @bluemarble!!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sfred said:

Wow - I was looking in entirely the wrong part of the world.  I fell down the rabbit hole of QE and QV's recent port calls in Europe and the Middle East, trying all sorts of places in the North Sea, Baltic, Channel, Med, Red Sea, etc.

The answer is Kanazawa, Japan.  The domed structure is the Ohno Karakuri Memorial Museum.

http://www.ohno-karakuri.jp/eng/

A great challenge, thanks @bluemarble!!  

That's correct. I've been saving that webcam capture of QE's arrival at Kanazawa since this past April when QE called there. Those images I posted were captured from the Ono Lighthouse webcam.

Edit to add: It's certainly been a good learning experience for me. I knew nothing of Karakuri puppets until I did the research to figure out what that domed structure is.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 5

@NE John's recent contributions of Atlantic City NJ and Gloucester MA are ports 636 and 637 in the seen list, according to my count.  This brings the US port total to 60, just behind the UK at 61.

Still unseen Cunard ports in the US are Molokai and Kahului HI, Galveston TX, and Wilmington NC.  Any travel plans to these locations for anyone?

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

That's correct. I've been saving that webcam capture of QE's arrival at Kanazawa since this past April when QE called there. Those images I posted were captured from the Ono Lighthouse webcam.

Edit to add: It's certainly been a good learning experience for me. I knew nothing of Karakuri puppets until I did the research to figure out what that domed structure is.

I was winding my way into Asia with Taiwan first and too much drama at work kept me from leaping to Japan. I gotta retire one of these days!!
It would be interesting to find out if those blue tugs are electric. The Japanese lead in battery technology. 

40 minutes ago, NE John said:

It would be interesting to find out if those blue tugs are electric. The Japanese lead in battery technology. 

Those blue tugs don't appear to be showing up on AIS so I can't identify them by name. But I can provide this closer view of them from a current webcam image if this helps any.

WhereintheWorld(154b).thumb.jpg.c634455d6a5c853e4af65e0ffe17045e.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Those blue tugs don't appear to be showing up on AIS so I can't identify them by name. But I can provide this closer view of them from a current webcam image if this helps any.

WhereintheWorld(154b).thumb.jpg.c634455d6a5c853e4af65e0ffe17045e.jpg

Off topic a bit, but the growth of electric tug boats is strong and I can see the cruise ship industry benefiting from this growing trend, especially with coming restrictions in Norway. Battery/sail combos may be next. 
Japanese battery companies are indeed leading the way. Exciting industry to follow. 

Here's an image that's a bit different showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before. For this one I've stitched together two webcam image captures as the camera panned across the field of view, to provide a panoramic view of the Cunard ship and additional port details. This does makes everything smaller, but this wider view may offer more details to work with overall. Rather odd that there is such a significant change in the lighting apparent at the stitch point. Both images I've stitched together here were captured during the same pass of the camera across the scene.

WhereintheWorld(160).thumb.jpg.0cf18ea622451fb8af4daa46b64b11c1.jpg

12 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's correct. It's QM2's recent call to Zeebrugge on November 17th. Well done.

Thank you. Probably had an unfair advantage.

Every March from 2005 to 2015 we took the ferries Pride of York or Pride of Bruges (originally Norsea and Norsun) from Hull to Zeebrugge on a Friday evening and returned the next night. That was our annual "Wine Run". It was an easy drive to the area NE of Lille where we called at a selection of hypermarkets.

We would return with up to 180 litres of wine 30 bottles of brandy and Grand Marnier and a stock of Comté, duck, lamb and French fillet steak.

That beach was sometimes covered in snow or sea foam depending what the weather was up to at the time. 

• Like 3