Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one more to try. This is another webcam capture showing a Cunard ship departing a port we've seen before. Most of the pixelation is in the original webcam image presumably to protect privacy. I've only blurred the black rectangles in the lower corners containing captions and date stamps which would have given it away.

WhereintheWorld(167).thumb.jpg.736470ef7efb2c6de9c9777920af35d1.jpg

Majestic picture with ship and background mountains. 

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Correct. That's QE departing Wellington on December 9th after her recent visit there, as seen from one of the Beacon Hill webcams hosted by the Greater Wellington Regional Council.

You did very well to capture QE as it went by.  It didn't look like those webcams had a rewind feature.  I looked for QE's arrival earlier that morning, but she had already docked by the time I got online here in Brisbane. 

1 hour ago, sfred said:

You did very well to capture QE as it went by.  It didn't look like those webcams had a rewind feature.  I looked for QE's arrival earlier that morning, but she had already docked by the time I got online here in Brisbane. 

Yes, the timing was serendipitous on that one. Those webcams only refresh about once every seven minutes or so. I was just hoping to get a glimpse of QE on one of them even if only a distant view. But then there she was framed about a well as one could hope for when that particular webcam refreshed.

• Like 1

On the subject of fortuitous timing for webcam images, here's one I've been saving for a while. I didn't post it earlier since the landmark in this image makes it relatively easy to identify. I'll post it now since the timing was also impeccable for this one. This webcam only refreshes once every fifteen minutes. What were the odds of capturing the ship in this image at all as she sailed past? It's showing a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've seen before.

WhereintheWorld(169).jpg.56a367464dd216d7a0b4b1ca559ee4a5.jpg

Edit to add: I'm finding a lot of similar views of cruise ships captured by this webcam. Something tells me it's being refreshed when a cruise ship sails by, so my timing probably wasn't so fortuitous after all.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

In the spirit of the holiday season, here's a public domain photo of a destination not on any of our lists.  You can get here by certain kinds of ships (and allegedly by sleigh).  However, while Cunard has come close and has occasionally hosted a famous resident onboard, it is not yet a Cunard port or cruise-by.

Happy/Merry Christmas everyone!

image.png.44fda77291d2b4a73eb0cdbcfd37eecb.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:13 AM, sfred said:

In the spirit of the holiday season, here's a public domain photo of a destination not on any of our lists.  You can get here by certain kinds of ships (and allegedly by sleigh).  However, while Cunard has come close and has occasionally hosted a famous resident onboard, it is not yet a Cunard port or cruise-by.

Happy/Merry Christmas everyone!

image.png.44fda77291d2b4a73eb0cdbcfd37eecb.png

So are we at the North Pole? Anyway, Happy Christmas to all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam contribution to this thread for Christmas. Where in the world is this Cunard ship?

WhereintheWorld(170).thumb.jpg.1baee842ed30b4ef2765917b37bf1da4.jpg

Initial reaction - St. Lucia Gros Pitons
Merry Christmas to all too. 

Edited by NE John

15 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I was thinking the opposite side of the world: Milford Sound, South Island of New Zealand

That's correct. My reference to "Christmas" was a sublte hint because I posted that webcam image less than 24 hours after I captured it. That's from QE's Christmas Day call to Milford Sound this year.

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So are we at the North Pole? Anyway, Happy Christmas to all.

Correct!  Cunard has come close, as near as Ny-Alesund Norway in Svalbard, which at 78°55′ is I think the northernmost Cunard port in our seen list.  Icebreakers and submarines have made it to the north pole, but it is still a bit out of reach for the current Cunard fleet.  Perhaps someday...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sfred said:

Correct!  Cunard has come close, as near as Ny-Alesund Norway in Svalbard, which at 78°55′ is I think the northernmost Cunard port in our seen list.  Icebreakers and submarines have made it to the north pole, but it is still a bit out of reach for the current Cunard fleet.  Perhaps someday...

For all our sakes, let us hope not. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

June 2009 we were there

photo proof when I return home from.being spoilt by children and gchildren.

To recap past northern contributions, I think these are the two northernmost locations on our "seen" list.

This photo from @sogne is Kongsfjorden, Spitsbergen/Svalbard at about 79° 1′ North.

ZXY.jpg.e7e2fd346033cb281b3612342833b105

This photo from @Colin_Cameron is Magdalenefjorden, Spitsbergen/Svalbard at about 79° 34′ North.

010.thumb.jpg.a2b3320d47e5d56dbb114b73ee

Interestingly, I can't seem to find any photo of the port of Ny-Alesund, Spitsbergen/Svalbard itself posted on this thread. Perhaps I added Ny-Alesund to our seen ports list simply because that would have been the port of call for one or both of these photos. It would be great if @sogne@Colin_Cameron or anyone else could post a photo showing Ny-Alesund so that we can say with certainty we've seen that port here.

Edited by bluemarble

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

To recap past northern contributions, I think these are the two northernmost locations on our "seen" list.

This photo from @sogne is Kongsfjorden, Spitsbergen/Svalbard at about 79° 1′ North.

ZXY.jpg.e7e2fd346033cb281b3612342833b105

This photo from @Colin_Cameron is Magdalenefjorden, Spitsbergen/Svalbard at about 79° 34′ North.

010.thumb.jpg.a2b3320d47e5d56dbb114b73ee

Interestingly, I can't seem to find any photo of the port of Ny-Alesund, Spitsbergen/Svalbard itself posted on this thread. Perhaps I added Ny-Alesund to our seen ports list simply because that would have been the port of call for one or both of these photos. It would be great if @sogne@Colin_Cameron or anyone else could post a photo showing Ny-Alesund so that we can say with certainty we've seen that port here.

Already posted photo QV at anchor there. Arctic foxes later.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship at a port we have not seen yet and is not on our unseen ports list.

I had made a note for this port also when I saw it on the itinerary, and found the same webcam covering the piers as you did.  This port isn't included n the typical schedules. 

I've been there once many years ago while doing a work project in a nearby city.  A pleasant town.

• Like 1