Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship at a port we haven't seen yet. It's also a port not listed on our unseen ports list.

WhereintheWorld(180).thumb.jpg.9e6441d5cab0cb473a1ad181028a9461.jpg

I'd go for Sasebo, Japan.

The ferry was easily identified as Namizi, therefore it was one of the ports it serves,

Cross referenced against QE's recent calls on Marine Traffic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship at a port we haven't seen yet.

I was glad to see this webcam zoom in on the ship during its port call, from the usual wider view of this port.

Edit:  I see that @D&N has identified Sasebo while I was typing.  Congratulations! 

Edited by sfred
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sfred said:

Edit:  I see that @D&N has identified Sasebo while I was typing.  Congratulations!

It did feel a bit like cheating. I did see some other pics of the port in the reverse lookup, but I knew that if I simply identified the ferry I could probably find the location.

1 minute ago, D&N said:

It did feel a bit like cheating. I did see some other pics of the port in the reverse lookup, but I knew that if I simply identified the ferry I could probably find the location.

The screenshot I had saved didn't include the ferry.

Earlier that morning in Japan, there was a great sunrise view of the wider harbour.   I saw a small dark blob that I thought was probably QE as she arrived but it was far too small and the lighting contrast of the dark water and brightening sky made identification impossible.   Sometime later that morning the webcam operator narrowed the focus to the ship to the view that @bluemarble posted.

chrome_screenshot_10 May 2024 3_53_53 am GMT+01_00.png

• Like 3

@D&N, Sasebo, Japan is correct. As @sfred has indicated, the Sasebo port webcam doesn't usually zoom in so close, but they did for QE's visit the past couple days. I thought I'd throw in a shot showing that ferry to provide a little extra help just in case it was needed. Well done with that identification.

Here's an earlier capture I took not long after her arrival at Sasebo showing a broader view but with QE less identifiable to the right of center.

WhereintheWorld(180a).thumb.jpg.79c2a1c9736f19810dd55420a0abf5c2.jpg

• Like 4

As it was mentioned that we could use a photo of a port city here's my offering.  The port itself was rather dreary, although it was some time ago and hopefully is now better.  This is just a walk away.

port.JPG

18 hours ago, babs135 said:

As it was mentioned that we could use a photo of a port city here's my offering.  The port itself was rather dreary, although it was some time ago and hopefully is now better.  This is just a walk away.

port.JPG

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Somewhere in China?  Chinese, Japanese or Korean on the blue bus…. EM

Yes, I think the language in this latest photo is Chinese. That helps quite a bit to narrow down the possibilities from both our seen and unseen ports lists. There's a match on Tripadvisor to one of their top 10 most popular landmarks in one of the Chinese cities on our seen ports list. I think this is a view of the Russian Street (aka Russian Style/Folk/Folklore/Culture Street) in Dalian, China.

I believe we've only seen Dalian once before on this thread. The earlier image of Dalian was a public domain photo submitted by @sfred back in post #3598 and identified by @ExArkie. Now we have someone's own photo taken while visiting there on a cruise. Thanks for that contribution, @babs135.

Thanks @babs135.  As @bluemarble indicates, your photo is the Dalian art gallery.   Looks like winter from the people's clothes.   

I went to Dalian frequently in a past work life.  Winter was very cold in contrast to summertime Australia. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @babs135.  As @bluemarble indicates, your photo is the Dalian art gallery.   Looks like winter from the people's clothes.   

I went to Dalian frequently in a past work life.  Winter was very cold in contrast to summertime Australia. 

It is indeed Dalian and we were on the way to Russian Street.  Taken in February some years ago, it was bitterly cold with snow on the ground in some places.  Some of the Californians on the cruise had never seen snow before and were quite excited - however they did not like the cold!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, I think the language in this latest photo is Chinese. That helps quite a bit to narrow down the possibilities from both our seen and unseen ports lists. There's a match on Tripadvisor to one of their top 10 most popular landmarks in one of the Chinese cities on our seen ports list. I think this is a view of the Russian Street (aka Russian Style/Folk/Folklore/Culture Street) in Dalian, China.

I believe we've only seen Dalian once before on this thread. The earlier image of Dalian was a public domain photo submitted by @sfred back in post #3598 and identified by @ExArkie. Now we have someone's own photo taken while visiting there on a cruise. Thanks for that contribution, @babs135.

Amazingly enough, I even remember identifying that one from my - shall we say “eclectic” - professional career. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Has Cunard ever called on this port in the past? During British Empire days? Always good to learn these different ports.

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Has Cunard ever called on this port in the past? During British Empire days? Always good to learn these different ports.

QE2 called at Dalian in March 1979. It took me a bit to find it since it's recorded on QE2's itineraries under the former name Dairen.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship arriving at a port we haven't seen yet. The port city itself is just a few miles off to the left while the cruise terminal is only about a mile out of view to the right.

WhereintheWorld(181).thumb.jpg.57fb9889597bed751dd22e61a3cdb796.jpg

If I've done my search correctly (still learning!) I think this maybe Jeju Island, South Korea.  If it isn't, then it's back to the drawing board 🤣

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

If I've done my search correctly (still learning!) I think this maybe Jeju Island, South Korea.  If it isn't, then it's back to the drawing board 🤣

You are definitely on the right track. We just need to narrow it down a bit further to a specific port on that island which is mentioned on a very recent Cunard itinerary.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 9:02 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship arriving at a port we haven't seen yet. The port city itself is just a few miles off to the left while the cruise terminal is only about a mile out of view to the right.

WhereintheWorld(181).thumb.jpg.57fb9889597bed751dd22e61a3cdb796.jpg

I'm still looking for the identification of the specific port for this image. @babs135 has narrowed down the general location to Jeju Island. This is the only port on our unseen ports list on Jeju Island. Last call, since I'm confident @sfred will able to identify it later today. 😉

26 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm still looking for the identification of the specific port for this image. @babs135 has narrowed down the general location to Jeju Island. This is the only port on our unseen ports list on Jeju Island. Last call, since I'm confident @sfred will able to identify it later today. 😉

The specific port - Seogwipo, South Korea 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NE John said:

That's correct. That webcam capture is showing QE's recent arrival at Seogwipo on May 17th. The image was less than 24 hours old when I posted it. By my count, we've now reached 660 locations on our seen ports list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NE John said:

Thanks all.  Great screenshot,  @bluemarble.  I've been on airplanes back to Australia and didn't have any chances to look on the Seogwipo cams for QE's visit.

16 hours ago, NE John said:

@sfred  Please remind me of the photos you want of the maiden call plaques on QE. I’ll post them here. Next month already!

The new plaques from QE's maiden calls in Februsry in New Caledonia, Vanuatu, and Fiji will hopefully have been hung by now. They most likely would be in the starboard corridor to the Commodore Club. QE may also have gotten some new plaques from the recent maiden calls in Japan and Korea.  If I remember correctly the Japan plaques are in the port corridor.   Thanks @NE John and hope you have a great time in Alaska! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1