Statendam (as Vasco Da Gama - CMV)

YXU AC*SE

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

That makes three out of the four "S"-class ships for SeaJets; Statendam, Maasdam and Veendam

I am glad to think that these three ships may still have a positive future for them.  

But, I wonder if Mr. Iliopoulos's bank account is greater than his common sense.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am glad to think that these three ships may still have a positive future for them.  

But, I wonder if Mr. Iliopoulos's bank account is greater than his common sense.

6 million or so per ship, sounds like common sense to me..

52 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

6 million or so per ship, sounds like common sense to me..

Given what we know--and don't know--on October 15, 2020 about the pandemic and its impact on the cruising industry of the future, I see his purchases as being a gamble.  

I don't care whether he loses or wins.  I care about the future of those vessels.  

• 4 weeks later...

I see on another site, Pacific Aria (former Ryndam) was sold for less than $10 M to Sea Jets and delivered to the new owners in Piraus.  There was speculation that the new owner may hold all three of the former S class ships until after cruising resumes, with the promise of reselling them.  As we have discussed on this board, these under 1300 guest capacity ships, 720 feet/220 meters long, will be able to dock at the increasing number of smaller ports with more restrictions.  See the new Key West post.   

Holland America did spend considerable on Maasdam and Veendam in the last few years and P&O Australia probably spent similar on Ryndam and Statendam, too.  I do hope they find a happy home somewhere.

• Like 1