Statendam (as Vasco Da Gama - CMV)

YXU AC*SE

Is on the auction block.  Sealed bids are due midday 08th October.  Sold on an "as is where is" basis at the time of sale, on the Admiralty Marshal’s Conditions of Sale, with clean title and free of encumbrances. Might be a chance for some CC members to put their business acumen to the test.   🙂    Scott. 

source: https://eggarforresterships.com/auctions 

• Like 2

Statendam, if she is still in good repair, should survive to serve a new owner.  How values have changed since covid19.  The Prinsendam was sold at probably a higher price than the Amsterdam brought despite being 12 years newer.  Does anybody have access to sales figures?  Think about building a new ship Statendam's size, which Viking has done, for maybe $400 million or buying a used one for maybe $4 million.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

a strong candidate for Seajets to add to their new fleet.

I don't find much information about this company other than as a ferry operator.  How deep are its "pockets" to even consider a new cruise line start-up? 

It's family held, multi-generational, and quite successful in the ferry business.

Not sure how long they have been contemplating entering the cruise side of the shipping industry, but I'm sure the near scrap value pricing of second hand tonnage has certainly been a factor.

Hopefully they can pull it off and NOT become the next CMV.

• Like 1

Funny about the timing to open a new thread about Statendam .... we're moving houses and I have been going thru old photos and yesterday I came across some that were taken in Sept 1993 when the ship visited Bermuda and we were invited by our TA to go onboard for a tour and lunch (it was pre-9/11). 

20200910_134007619_iOS.jpg

20200910_134026377_iOS.jpg

20200910_134049849_iOS.jpg

20200910_134109951_iOS.jpg

20200910_134125433_iOS.jpg

• Like 5

Bluesea777,  thanks for posting your pics of the Statendam looking so good.  

Marine traffic shows her at Tilbury awaiting auction bids.  Didn't know that large of ship could get in there.  I was on the Prinsendam when she was at the passenger dock in Tilbury back in 2010, and remember our departure had to be timed with the high tide.  Sure hope someone capable of operating her will get the winning bid.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I would expect the ex-Statendam to find a buyer, a strong candidate for Seajets to add to their new fleet.

Also Astor should get some operator interest, it will be a challenge for the rest of the CMV fleet to avoid the breakers.

I may well be mistaken, but I do not think that CMV "owned" many of their ships...  All were leased. 

The "Fat Lady" has yet to "sing" regarding the future of many ships, our Statendam included, I think.  

It boggles my mind to think that Seajets, as a Ferry company, has the financial capacity to begin an entirely new cruise line with our Veendam and Maasdam, let alone adding Statendam.  In the current tourist industry depression:  someone(s) in Greece must have a crystal ball that the Executives at CCL and RCI don't have.  

40 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The "Fat Lady" has yet to "sing" regarding the future of many ships, our Statendam included, I think.  

It boggles my mind to think that Seajets, as a Ferry company, has the financial capacity to begin an entirely new cruise line with our Veendam and Maasdam, let alone adding Statendam.  In the current tourist industry depression:  someone(s) in Greece must have a crystal ball that the Executives at CCL and RCI don't have.  

Just think, Viking built new ships close to the size of the S class at $400 million a piece. If you can pick up the 4 old HAL ships for close to $4 million each, just 1% of the cost of the new ships, you can have a great fleet for peanuts and still invest in them. 

• Like 2

Having recently been refurbished I don’t think these ships currently require a massive capital improvement investment.

Down the line certainly there may be infrastructure issues, plumbing, a/c, etc.

Although many here were quick to point out issues, they may be perfectly fine as is other than new names and a coat of paint depending on their target market and intended deployment.

• Like 1

We sailed on all the Statendam class ships except the Statendam. They were classic ships and if you asked me which of the Veendam, Ryndam and Maasdam was the best and favorite of mine, it was a 3 way tie. Right now I'd have to say that the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are our favorites. 

16 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on all the Statendam class ships except the Statendam. They were classic ships and if you asked me which of the Veendam, Ryndam and Maasdam was the best and favorite of mine, it was a 3 way tie. Right now I'd have to say that the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are our favorites. 

Veendam had the better Crow's Nest. The rear pool was removed to add more verandah rooms however. 

31 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Personally I liked Ryndam the best.  Loved Veendam until they added the bump on the stern. (I never thought that was well done), but all the S Class ship were really nice.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, rkacruiser said:

In the current tourist industry depression:  someone(s) in Greece must have a crystal ball that the Executives at CCL and RCI don't have.  

That also has the assumption that the Crystal Balls they are using are properly tuned into the correct future. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Sealed bid auction concluded.   VdG sold to Mystic Cruises  (www.mysticcruises.com).    Scott. 

I think this is good news for those who wanted the Statendam to see more cruising days.

If the ship still has good bones, Mystic can make it work.  

• Like 2

Mystic Invest Holding is the parent company of Mystic Cruises, which owns the Atlas Ocean Voyages and Nicko Cruises brands This is Nicko Cruises Flussreisen GmbH (Germany)'s World Explorer (which has been on charter to Quark Expeditions) built in 2019. Not sure yet if Vasco da Gama, the lead ship of HAL's "S" class ships as Statendam V, is going to Nicko Cruises or Atlas Ocean Voyages

Nicko cruises Flussreisen GmbH (Germany) - World Explorer (on charter to Quark Expeditions).jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2