Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

8 hours ago, bennybear said:

Another hint, this port also gives access to these wonderful villages.image.thumb.jpeg.5a39952feed076d0d797e40da283731b.jpeg

I am wondering if the port is Kanazawa which I have visited but not on a cruise. The houses look like those at Shirikawa-go which I think is close enough to Kanazawa to visit on a long shore excursion. The famous gardens would be the Kenrokuen Gardens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ottawa traveller said:

I am wondering if the port is Kanazawa which I have visited but not on a cruise. The houses look like those at Shirikawa-go which I think is close enough to Kanazawa to visit on a long shore excursion. The famous gardens would be the Kenrokuen Gardens.

Winner.  Great details.  What an amazing day we had.  

We have not been on any of the HAL ships but we have been on many cruises with NCL, and I am wondering if I can be permitted to contribute a few pictures of my own. They will be places that I'm sure HAL ships have been to or still go to.

I'll try not to show the NCL ships, unless you want me to 🙃

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J_M_F said:

No, wrong hemisphere. It is an island but I don't know of any ships that stop there.

Okay - has to be somewhere further north of Nuuk on the west coast of Greenland. Near Ilulissat. Has to be above or close to Arctic Circle.

Is it Disko Island?

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Okay - has to be somewhere further north of Nuuk on the west coast of Greenland. Near Ilulissat. Has to be above or close to Arctic Circle.

Is it Disko Island?

No. It is above the Arctic Circle but East of Greenland.

14 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

This should make it a lot easier.  Here is the war memorial by the City Hall.

80090991_warmemorial.thumb.jpg.d3ee47f7caa7324a869c8da8ad697d5d.jpg

That had been annoying me since you posted the first picture ... I was searching the wrong countries, lol. Now I see the Canadian flag ...

Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada. ☺️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesea777 said:

That had been annoying me since you posted the first picture ... I was searching the wrong countries, lol. Now I see the Canadian flag ...

Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada. ☺️

Winner!  And a beautiful day it was when we visited last summer.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, J_M_F said:

This picture was taken from the Prinsendam during a sail by. Here is a major hint: it was taken after midnight.

IMG_4262.thumb.JPG.fc800ea320d08fc3c069d12aab7ebef4.JPG

4 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Antarctica?

46 minutes ago, J_M_F said:

No, wrong hemisphere. It is an island but I don't know of any ships that stop there.

16 minutes ago, J_M_F said:

No. It is above the Arctic Circle but East of Greenland.

Okay ... it cannot be Iceland because it's below Arctic Circle ... you mentioned 4 hints (in red), so back to Google Maps ....

Is it Jan Mayen island in North Atlantic Ocean?

40 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Okay ... it cannot be Iceland because it's below Arctic Circle ... you mentioned 4 hints (in red), so back to Google Maps ....

Is it Jan Mayen island in North Atlantic Ocean?

Jan Mayen is correct! We were sailing from Iceland to Spitzbergen and sailed along the west side of the island. It was a formal night and I remember standing out on the promenade deck in a suit freezing my tail off while I took pictures. We also spotted a whale between the ship and the island. At that time of year the sun never goes down, it only gets close to the horizon, so we had to use clothes pins to hold the window drapes closed to make it dark enough to sleep.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, J_M_F said:

Jan Mayen is correct! We were sailing from Iceland to Spitzbergen and sailed along the west side of the island. It was a formal night and I remember standing out on the promenade deck in a suit freezing my tail off while I took pictures. We also spotted a whale between the ship and the island. At that time of year the sun never goes down, it only gets close to the horizon, so we had to use clothes pins to hold the window drapes closed to make it dark enough to sleep.  

Beautiful picture!