Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

44 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes, Hoonah/Icy Strait Point.  The tricky bit is that the photo was taken in 2014, when it was a tender port.  Now, they have a pier that cruise ships can tie up to, I understand.  Here is what the port looked like in 2014.

1851208292_dockarea.jpg.c3fa2022bb8b8410c02362cfb078b243.jpg

Dave

Yes, they built a really nice pier at Icy Strait Point

Trip Log Day 4: 9-Night Alaskan Cruise on Disney Wonder – Icy Strait Point  • The Disney Cruise Line Blog

View of Icy Point Port from cruise, this is where ships dock.

blog-ship-icy.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Yes!   Turned out to be a great port to visit!  We giggled so much when we did a boat ride around the castle moat!  

Yes I was there on the Westerdam in 2018. I went on a tour to the Adachi Museum of Art in Yasugi and the Yushien Garden on Daikon Island where we had a Japanese style lunch. Some lunch items were definitely an acquired taste and others required some explanation as to how to eat them. It was a cultural adventure..  The Adachi Museum also has extensive gardens.  Both places were well worth the visit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ottawa traveller said:

Yes I was there on the Westerdam in 2018. I went on a tour to the Adachi Museum of Art in Yasugi and the Yushien Garden on Daikon Island where we had a Japanese style lunch. Some lunch items were definitely an acquired taste and others required some explanation as to how to eat them. It was a cultural adventure..  The Adachi Museum also has extensive gardens.  Both places were well worth the visit.

We also visited the Adachi gardens,  they were incredible; one of my photos was from there.

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Yes!   Turned out to be a great port to visit!  We giggled so much when we did a boat ride around the castle moat!  

We visited the gardens and then strolled about the main street which was such a hoot with all the anime characters......makes me smile just to think of it. We did not visit that castle, but the Hirosaki Castle and grounds were also spectacular. We were to be on this last spring's Westerdam last Japan cruise followed by the crossing, but alas, we know what happened.........

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

We visited the gardens and then strolled about the main street which was such a hoot with all the anime characters......makes me smile just to think of it. We did not visit that castle, but the Hirosaki Castle and grounds were also spectacular. We were to be on this last spring's Westerdam last Japan cruise followed by the crossing, but alas, we know what happened.........

We enjoyed Hirosaki castle too, lucky the visit was last year!  We had to climb up this castle  on polished ladders in socks!  The little boats roof collapsed to go under bridges and we had to lay on the boats floor herring bone style!  Hope you get another chance!  

Heres some more photos! 

D20C2016-9E18-4781-AF63-66CE8EDB795E.jpeg

305774E3-E91A-4B84-9684-070511F3D6A0.jpeg

750D71AF-7C2C-48C6-A112-DDF528173FE2.jpeg

28F356CF-55DC-42C4-BB32-E2BCA0DB0097.jpeg

19A1A9C1-0B4B-42C0-9269-247CDDBF8CD5.jpeg

75307502-8868-4A01-B394-A05AEAFFEF16.jpeg

319ADC2A-6695-4D40-ACB9-DD909B6133D4.jpeg

2A8CAF83-891D-468F-8E11-F6B8DFCC5BF4.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Winner! 🙂 Nice job! Yes, Nieuw Statendam is at the Terminal Venezia Passeggeri 

We have been to Venice 3 times for a few days each time. Loved loved that place. We got unlimited water bus passes and spent hours cruising thru canals, Grand Canal, to Murano, Burano, Lido, etc. We either sat in the front or in the rear of the water buses.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We have been to Venice 3 times for a few days each time. Loved loved that place. We got unlimited water bus passes and spent hours cruising thru canals, Grand Canal, to Murano, Burano, Lido, etc. We either sat in the front or in the rear of the water buses.

We too cannot get enough of Venice.  Last twice we’ve rented an apartment, heaven to live there without the crowds!  I even convinced DH we needed a Murano chandelier 😂image.thumb.jpeg.948f282ac4345430667db7e24d91eb66.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

😁 Kingstown, St. Vincent. That's Mustique in the background.

Yes, Kingstown, St. Vincent, in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines:

waterfront.jpg.b0b78ee918e786b27ebbebdf94a6b21d.jpg

I always thought that island in the background of the first shot was Bequia.  We've never been to that island, although I think Prinsendam visited a few times.

Dave

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Yes, Kingstown, St. Vincent, in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines:

waterfront.jpg.b0b78ee918e786b27ebbebdf94a6b21d.jpg

I always thought that island in the background of the first shot was Bequia.  We've never been to that island, although I think Prinsendam visited a few times.

Dave

Oh yes! I had another look at Google Maps - you are correct! My bad! I happened to see Princess Margaret Beach and thought it was Mustique! I now see that Mustique is farther south.

My folks lived there (St. Vincent) in early seventies and I flew out there 3 times for holidays from UK boarding school.

P.S. I was able to edit and corrected ......

Edited by bluesea777

41 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Ceuta, Morocco.

That's Gibraltar across the Strait of Gibraltar. You must have had a fantastic day to be able to see across to Europe from Africa! Lucky you!

Correct! We did have a great visit there. Here is a picture of one of the downtown buildings that reminded me of the Gringotts (sp?) Bank at Universal Studios.

IMG_9089.thumb.JPG.a5f886f2827833566b7f7147a5027fd9.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J_M_F said:

This one may be a bit harder. This was taken from the Statendam. It is the only "port" on the island. The second picture is major hint.

PICT2071.thumb.JPG.32717813f9ce0af60d738e8fe819e688.JPGPICT2056.thumb.JPG.b829fdb2736af3fbc49d0d207c491cfc.JPG

Pitcairn island! 

Sorry to be too quick, but I did some research on this island a while ago, plus I read some reviews (and photos) from various people on CC who stopped there during their cruise.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Pitcairn island! 

Sorry to be too quick, but I did some research on this island a while ago, plus I read some reviews (and photos) from various people on CC who stopped there during their cruise.

You are correct. You don't get off there, but most of the (at that time) 53 inhabitants come aboard to sell souvenirs and entertain. I don't think any cruise ships have stopped there for several years because of reports of sexual abuse by some of the islanders. 

On 10/5/2020 at 5:35 PM, RetiredMustang said:

A stronger hint:  Here is a photo I took when walking back to the ship in the afternoon.

1396226765_Westerdaminafternoon.jpg.4895a5aa44446911cf91d97245f8c14b.jpg

Dave

Argostoli, Cephalonia Greece We were there October 28th, 2015 on m.s. Rotterdam

Edited by MAVIP