CDC Director Overruled On Cruise Ship Ban

HLGW60

4 hours ago, quickrate said:

Also, another thing people don't realize is how much the cruise industry being shut down has hurt the farmers etc in port cities. The list goes on and on of how many people's livelyhood has been affected by the shut down of cruising. I'm in the camp of people that believe it can be accomplished with the correct safety protocol in place. I also believe this virus isn't going away and we need to learn how to live with it.  Those that are high risk need to shelter in place and we need to take care adequately of those people.

Pat

All those people get bailouts but not the cruise lines. Hmmmmm.

Putting people who are at risk under house arrest sounds illegal.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Many posters are calling for sheltering those at risk but letting others go about their business.  I hope that means those who are not in high risk groups will use all the mitigation and prevention tools presently at their disposal, and not fight or dispute their importance.

That means masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc. should be adapted 100% by those wanting to "go about their business".  I only hope that we don't discover long term damage to internal organs can occur in presently healthy, asymptomatic persons harboring the virus.  It's too soon to tell.

If it is too soon, then when is that time?

8 hours ago, evandbob said:

I only hope that we don't discover long term damage to internal organs can occur in presently healthy, asymptomatic persons harboring the virus.  It's too soon to tell.

I think we suspect. I also think surviving C19 means you have a pre-existing condition.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

On 10/1/2020 at 12:30 PM, BlerkOne said:

This isn't what I am saying at all. People who know they have compromised immune systems and health conditions would probably not want to cruise. This is a nasty virus but we will learn how to live with it and cope with it.

Pat

On 10/1/2020 at 12:30 PM, BlerkOne said:

cruise lines will never get bail out because they are incorporated in other country outside of the US

10 minutes ago, quickrate said:

This isn't what I am saying at all. People who know they have compromised immune systems and health conditions would probably not want to cruise. This is a nasty virus but we will learn how to live with it and cope with it.

Pat

Okay, but that isn't what some others are saying - which flat out stay home so careless, inconsiderate people can cruise.

Just now, shof515 said:

cruise lines will never get bail out because they are incorporated in other country outside of the US

That is fine, but then don't whine about all the US jobs that depend on cruise lines and how cruising needs to restart, ready or not. Local and port taxes, etc. etc. Not saying you did, but some have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That is fine, but then don't whine about all the US jobs that depend on cruise lines and how cruising needs to restart, ready or not. Local and port taxes, etc. etc. Not saying you did, but some have.

I don’t believe the cruise lines should get any assistance from the US government for reasons previously mentioned in this thread. But that doesn’t change the fact that cruise lines have a significant impact on our economy and a lot of people are hurting financially because cruise lines aren’t sailing from US ports. 

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t believe the cruise lines should get any assistance from the US government for reasons previously mentioned in this thread. But that doesn’t change the fact that cruise lines have a significant impact on our economy and a lot of people are hurting financially because cruise lines aren’t sailing from US ports. 

That's fine. Cruise lines should then be recognized for the sovereign nations that they are, and the US government should bailout the little people and everyone should leave the cruise lines alone and let them decide what is best for the cruise lines and when.