World Cruise 2022 - outstanding value vs HAL!

Chrisifab

So the World Cruise 2022 has been announced for Borealis (ex MS Rotterdam), and prices start at just £9,999.

I had a sneak peek over at HAL, and the sister ship to Borealis, MS Zaandam, has prices beginning at £19,400 for the 2022 World Cruise, and it’s more or less the same intenary...on the same class, layout and style of ship (except Borealis is slightly bigger and a bit faster too).

It’s seriously tempting me to book now, as I’m fearful places will go fast. HAL seasoned world cruisers know this ship well, and might just be tempted to “cross over” to Fred to cruise on their favourite ship at half the price for the World Cruise.

My issue is this: The OH. He hasn’t taken a cruise yet. He’s desperate to travel, and I planned to book 2 or 3 cruises in 2021, starting with a short one to see how he liked it? I’m sure he’d love it, and I know (having done a world cruise before I met him) that he’d love the destinations. I’m just not sure how he’d handle the sea days? I’m 43, and he’s 58, so we’re still relatively young. We took a Warner’s break recently, which he really enjoyed, and when I told him this is what a cruise feels like (entertainment included every night, food on tap, activities, spa etc., no need to pack and unpack throughout the break) he said he’d finally be up for trying one! He loved the Warner’s break!

Should I wait and see how he is after his first cruise (or 2), and take the chance there’ll be some good cabins left, or should I book now and risk losing a deposit for the worldie if he hates the shorter ones?

So anxious! 🥴

It's a big decision that, of course, only you can make. Lots of factors. Prices may start at under £10k but what sort of cabin do you want and how much is that? I am very happy with an inside cabin for short cruises but wouldn't want to spend 101 nights in one! A few days at Warner is indeed a bit like being on a cruise but how will your OH be with 6 or so days on board at sea with no escape? I have friends who have done Worldies and there is a very different, much more relaxed atmosphere - most people don't want a 4 course meal every night and don't always go to the theatre or drinking in a bar. It is a massive gamble to book a Worldie for someone who has never been on a cruise before...

Of course, I am jealous too as a solo traveller, the cheapest fare was in the region of £25k I think....

I wouldn't recommend booking a very long cruise without having previously experienced at least one standard duration itinerary.

Does Fred still offer their onboard "change of mind" promise ?

I never paid much attention - but it was along the lines that passengers who didn't like their cruise could get home and be refunded - as long as such a decision was made within a few days of sailing.

Maybe some of the more educated FO residents could eloborate ?

3 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

I wouldn't recommend booking a very long cruise without having previously experienced at least one standard duration itinerary.

A wise recommendation, I believe.  Even though I was an experienced cruiser, I booked the final segment of the Amsterdam's 2007 World Cruise in order to "test the waters of that type of cruise" before definitely committing to the full 2008 World Cruise on the Amsterdam.  

In 2013 we did an 88 night trip on the Rotterdam, Southampton to Indonesia and back in an inside cabin. It was what we could afford at the time and spacious. Previously we had done a 32 day cruise on the Rotterdam in an outside cabin and many other short cruises. There were so many new countries to see and we had a very active roll call ahead of the trip so groups of us arranged private tours together.
Note nearly all the inside cabins are the same size and are bigger than the outside cabins on deck 3 , the deck you can walk around.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, ScottishMaid said:

are bigger than the outside cabins on deck 3 , the deck you can walk around.

Those outside cabins are much smaller than others on the lower decks that are outside cabins are priced less.  I would not book one of those outside cabins on Deck 3.

Several websites indicate the size of Deck 3 outside cabins, including Lanai types, at 197 sq. ft. or 19 sq. m. Sizes of outside cabins of Deck 1 and 2 cabins are listed as the same.  Those toward the pointed end, the bow, are smaller, while those with wheelchair access are larger. just about the same can be said about every cabin class.

Inside cabins sizes are 182 sq. ft. or 17 sq. m. 

Veranda deck suites are 229 sq. ft. or 22 sq. m.

Navigation deck suites are 386 sq. ft. or 36 sq. m.

Penthouse suites are 937 sq. ft. or 88 sq. m.

Let's compare that to the Balmoral.

Inside cabin sizes 160 sq. ft. or 16 sq. m.

Outside cabin sizes 165 sq. ft. or 16 sq. m.

Balcony cabins are 197 sq. ft. or 18 sq. m.

Superior Suites are 275 sq. ft. or 26 sq. m.

Marquee Suites are 390 sq. ft. or 36 sq, m.

Penthouse Suites are 430 sq. ft. or 40 sq, m.

Inside 17/16 x 100 = 106.25%

Outside 19/16 x 100 = 118.7%

Smallest Suites 22/26 x 100 = 84.6% 

Middle Suite 36/36 x 100 = 100

Penthouse Suites 88/40 x 100 = 220%

Edited by electricron
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, electricron said:

Several websites indicate the size of Deck 3 outside cabins, including Lanai types, at 197 sq. ft. or 19 sq. m. Sizes of outside cabins of Deck 1 and 2 cabins are listed as the same.  Those toward the pointed end, the bow, are smaller, while those with wheelchair access are larger. just about the same can be said about every cabin class.

Inside cabins sizes are 182 sq. ft. or 17 sq. m. 

Veranda deck suites are 229 sq. ft. or 22 sq. m.

Navigation deck suites are 386 sq. ft. or 36 sq. m.

Penthouse suites are 937 sq. ft. or 88 sq. m.

Let's compare that to the Balmoral.

Inside cabin sizes 160 sq. ft. or 16 sq. m.

Outside cabin sizes 165 sq. ft. or 16 sq. m.

Balcony cabins are 197 sq. ft. or 18 sq. m.

Superior Suites are 275 sq. ft. or 26 sq. m.

Marquee Suites are 390 sq. ft. or 36 sq, m.

Penthouse Suites are 430 sq. ft. or 40 sq, m.

Inside 17/16 x 100 = 106.25%

Outside 19/16 x 100 = 118.7%

Smallest Suites 22/26 x 100 = 84.6% 

Middle Suite 36/36 x 100 = 100

Penthouse Suites 88/40 x 100 = 220%

Interesting calculations, thanks.

Perhaps you can help me with something that has always confused us a bit.  When cruise lines give the overall size of any cabin with a balcony, do the sizes include the area of the balcony?  Sometimes it looks like they do, but other times we think probably not.  We do not travel with balconies often so difficult for us to judge and I suspect different cruise lines may do different things regards that,

Barbara

Anyone booking a cabin might find www.halfacts.com useful. Go to menu and find photos people have contributed. Of course some are dated, for example baths replaced by showers. However it gives an idea of the four R class ships.
I have cruised over 400 days on the ships so can attempt to answer questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked Borealis 2022 rtw. Travel agent told me it was selling very fast.
At the price I am very happy.
£9999 for an inside cabin for how many nights?
Does it include unlimited alcohol, specially dining, unlimited Wi-Fi or 1 shore excursion at every port?

14 hours ago, electricron said:

Several websites indicate the size of Deck 3 outside cabins, including Lanai types, at 197 sq. ft. or 19 sq. m. Sizes of outside cabins of Deck 1 and 2 cabins are listed as the same

Having booked many outside cabins on Deck 1 and Deck 2 on the Rotterdam Class ships (now Borealis) and having visited friends who were booked in a Deck 3 outside cabin--even before it had been converted into a Lanai cabin--believe me, there is a different "spaciousness" due to the layout of the cabins on those three decks.  On Deck 1 and 2, if you separate the Queen Bed into 2 singles, the feel of "spaciousness" increases.  

The measurements may be the same.  They are only "part of the story".  

4 hours ago, drsel said:

£9999 for an inside cabin for how many nights?
Does it include unlimited alcohol, specially dining, unlimited Wi-Fi or 1 shore excursion at every port?

It is advertised as tips included and up to £600 OBS, though that amount is presumably for the more expensive cabins.  Fred's drinks are well priced and they have price examples on the website, so does not look like they intend on racking them up a lot after this.  Shore excursions also tend to be notably cheaper on the UK brands (or have been in the past), c.f. the US brands.  Wi-Fi  is pricey as with cruises in general I think, we rarely use it either. 

Edited by tring

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Having booked many outside cabins on Deck 1 and Deck 2 on the Rotterdam Class ships (now Borealis) and having visited friends who were booked in a Deck 3 outside cabin--even before it had been converted into a Lanai cabin--believe me, there is a different "spaciousness" due to the layout of the cabins on those three decks.  On Deck 1 and 2, if you separate the Queen Bed into 2 singles, the feel of "spaciousness" increases.  

The measurements may be the same.  They are only "part of the story".  

No doubt the layout differences between a Lanai cabin and Outside cabin contributes to the spaciousness differences. You have a glass door onto the Promenade Deck vs a headboard of a bed under a window at that location. Never-the-less, the sizes of the different cabins are the same. 
The decision to be made by the customer is whether you want a second door or a window at that location in your cabin.  You would prefer a window, others may prefer a door. Is it not nice to have choices?

Edited by electricron

8 minutes ago, electricron said:

You have a glass door onto the Promenade Deck vs a headboard of a bed under a window at that location.

As I posted, if one separates the Queen bed into two single beds that are under the window, one creates more movable room within the cabin.

It's a matter of personal choice, I realize.  I am only trying to offer my experience.    

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 3:34 AM, KirkNC said:

It’s important to note when comparing the price to HAL that one is 102 days and one is 128 days, big difference.

Big difference in price as HAL lead in is virtually double for an extra 20% sailing days.

I paid slightly over £20,000, includes tips and £350 off for 105 nights solo cabin ocean view as sailing from Liverpool which is a big plus. Very happy.

• Like 1