Golf course on Emerald or Royal Princess?

vw97

Hello all!

My fiance and I are looking to book a cruise for December 2021 for our honeymoon. Currently we are tossing up New Zealand itineraries on either Emerald Princess or Royal Princess. 

We love our mini golf and I understand that Emerald Princess has (or had) mini golf. Does anyone know if the mini golf was removed during the 2019 refurbishment or whether it is still on board? I can't seem to find this information online.

Any other tidbits of info regarding which to pick is greatly appreciated :)

50 minutes ago, vw97 said:

We love our mini golf and I understand that Emerald Princess has (or had) mini golf. Does anyone know if the mini golf was removed during the 2019 refurbishment or whether it is still on board? I can't seem to find this information online.

Hi! Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

Emerald and Royal both have mini-golf on their own deck 19s. Emerald's mini-golf is called "Princess Links" and Royal's mini-golf is called "Lawn Court." They're a very small area on the aft of both ships, so if you've been on other lines with more elaborate set-ups, be prepared to be a little disappointed.. Hope this helps!

The Emerald's putting area is on deck 19 aft. It's a flat outdoor carpet area with maybe 9 holes and flags. Not true mini golf. It can be very windy. When putting you have the challenge of wind and the movement of the ship. The cruise staff may hold some fun putting contests there.

It's tricky to find. The most starboard aft elevator will get you to the platinum studio area. Then make your way outside. The other aft elevators will require you to walk up/down some stairs.

Believe the Royal's Lawn Court on deck 19 is only accessed by the outdoor stairs starting from deck 17 aft. Again can be windy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 1:06 PM, HappyCruiserettu said:

Just be aware, there is a very large water hazard.

Oddly enough, it's no longer called a "water hazard". Just as the "tenders" are now "water shuttles", the "water hazard" in golf is now a "penalty area". Whatever... 🙄

We stumbled on the golf area on Ruby. It was an indoor area with no natural light. The floor was fake grass carpeting that was coming up in the corners and had some places in the middle that appeared to no longer be firmly anchored to the floor. It looked to be a pretty poorly maintained area. Pretty sad overall.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Oddly enough, it's no longer called a "water hazard". Just as the "tenders" are now "water shuttles", the "water hazard" in golf is now a "penalty area". Whatever... 🙄

We stumbled on the golf area on Ruby. It was an indoor area with no natural light. The floor was fake grass carpeting that was coming up in the corners and had some places in the middle that appeared to no longer be firmly anchored to the floor. It looked to be a pretty poorly maintained area. Pretty sad overall.

I believe you are speaking about the the area that was used for a golf simulator on deck 19 aft. These areas on the Ruby, Crown and Emerald were converted around 5 or 6 years ago to the Platinum Studio. The putting area is just outside of this area on all three of these ships. Believe Princess has removed golf simulators on all older ships in the fleet. Royal class ships never had golf simulators. 

3 hours ago, skynight said:

I believe you are speaking about the the area that was used for a golf simulator on deck 19 aft. These areas on the Ruby, Crown and Emerald were converted around 5 or 6 years ago to the Platinum Studio. The putting area is just outside of this area on all three of these ships. Believe Princess has removed golf simulators on all older ships in the fleet. Royal class ships never had golf simulators. 

Actually it was in November of 2018. The Platinum Studio was right next door but the golf area was still there. You are correct that it was all the way up on Star Deck (deck 19). Hopefully they have plans to do something with the area because it really was in in terrible shape. There were a couple of old putters lying on the floor like they had been abandoned there.

image.png.69a4d415dfd0927f629a9c52aa473098.png