The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Extra points for obscurity, deec. :classic_biggrin: 

Is this a flying fish?

Edit: now I can see it, thanks for the tips you two, enlarged my smartphone photo. Yes, dolphin.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

Yes, the Peruvian Amazon. Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.

Pink Dolophins!!  ljandgb  I think you have it!

It was a facinating cruise.   Monkeys, sloths, lots of birds... beautiful boat much like those on Irrawaddy  and Mekong but windows DID NOT open because of the bugs!!!

Edited by deec
  • Like 1

Wow, that was kind of a WAG.  I bet it was an interesting cruise.  I'm not a fan of hot and muggy, which has kept me from looking closely at any of those trips.

In the spirit of more animals, here you go...

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

P1030949.JPG

6 hours ago, deec said:

Yes, the Peruvian Amazon. Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.

Pink Dolophins!!  ljandgb  I think you have it!

It was a facinating cruise.   Monkeys, sloths, lots of birds... beautiful boat much like those on Irrawaddy  and Mekong but windows DID NOT open because of the bugs!!!

We cruised the Amazon with Avalon...  We went in March - and didn't have issues with severe heat or bugs. Although it was still considered the wet season, we had very little rain while we were on the river.   Did you get to walk in the rain forest?  We did a walk at night...  so amazing just to stand in the forest - turn out our flashlights - and just take in the sounds around us. 

The pink dolphins were a highlight of the cruise.  In fact - I did get to swim in the Amazon - and a pink dolphin breached right in front of me!!  It was a memory I will long remember...

Fran

• Like 1

Thanks for the story, Fran. Pink dolphins, did not know they existed. The Amazon must be amazing, but I think the size of the insects and other creatures with more than four legs would prevent me from ever turning my torch off!

To the photo: I will stick with the Netherlands, possibly Amsterdam. The windmill "De Otter" I have found but it is older than the plaque, which I assume says  Anno 1717. A house of a family called "De Otter"? Not that it would name the house in modern terms, there must be something else to it, right?

notamermaid

7 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Yes.  It is a gablestone, which identified a house and/or business.  There are quite a few that have been moved to a wall outside the Amsterdam Museum.

Your turn Mitina.

They are an interesting feature of that area it seems. I have just looked them up, tons of them about, gevelsteen is the Dutch (singular). There are many photos on Pinterest. Found out in the process that in 1717 there was a huge flood in Amsterdam and the area. And quite a few other things about the year 1717 are interesting.

notamermaid

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

IMG_9461.JPG

Hmm, these are relics in a shrine in a church. A statue in the background. The shrine is held by demons and the second "tier" is surrounded by angels. The "double cross" on the shield in the background is not the Lorraine one, but the Eastern European version, the Byzantine or Patriarchal one (don't worry I am not pretending to be scholarly, I fully admit to have had to look up the last word, I am familiar with the Lorraine one). Which is important to place this shrine. This is in Slowakia, Hungary or further East. But it is definitely on the Danube.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
no edit

12 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The "double cross" on the shield in the background is not the Lorraine one, but the Eastern European version, the Byzantine or Patriarchal one

Good spotting. We intentionally picked a picture with clues.  Finding what's hidden in the picture is part of the fun.  

6 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Peter?

Oh my goodness, yes, of course. Brain fog. Sorry. When I was in the Basilica I was more interested in the stained glass windows, beautiful! That is why I did not recognized it instantly. And now I have ruined my success. Over to you and jbalbny.

notamermaid

The Holy Right Hand of St. Stephen, King of Hungary in the St. Stephen Basilica in Budapest.  We viewed the interior of the church twice as part of a river cruise. This photo was taken at night and if you inserted a coin, a light would illuminate the mummified hand for a short time.

Here's daytime photo.

IMG_9754.JPG

Sure, I'm happy to let @notamermaid have the next one. I do agree that she was on the right track and just said the wrong name.

I knew it immediately from your picture, though, because it has some significance to me. St. Stephen appears in my genealogy chart, 33 generations back. One of his granddaughters was St. Margaret the exile, married to Malcolm III of Scotland. That lineage leads to King John I of England (of Magna Carta infamy), and from there, through many, many more less-renowned people, to me. If you can believe any of that stuff.

Over to notamermaid. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

I am being rewarded, although I have been stupid 🤣. Thank you! 

@sharkster That was my initial reaction, but then the mental image of the Magi shrine did not fit this one.

Right, as I promised to myself and you lot a few days back, this my prize I pass on:

Wild card for a new poster!

Who has not given us a photo puzzle yet and would like to have a go?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Wrong word
  • Haha 1