The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

40 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

The Three Gorges Dam lock on the Yangtze?

Correct,  your turn. There are 5 locks that you step up or down, can't remember how long it took to go through,  There were at least 4 -5 boats in the chamber each time. Since our visit there is now a lift for smaller vessels.

@vada_9 The steps is probably what got me confused. The photo shows a half open gate with a view of a closed gate. This kind of close-up photo does not really work at the locks I know. I thought you were at a ship lift. Does this work as chamber after chamber without real sailing in-between? Sounds more like English canal flights of locks than a standard European river lock.

Fascinating hydrological engineering.

Looking forward to QueenOfEverything's photo.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Word

Ok!  This may seem obscure, but it is in a very popular location!  (That's your hint)

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

DSC03249.JPG

A stone door frame, yes, I would assume that now. Most likely a lion, if it is Marcus (Mark) the evangelist that is with him then an ecclesiastical building makes more sense than a castle or palace. Seems a little older to me than baroque. Wish I could remember more about Cologne Cathedral, must be about ten years since I was in last. I would put this more in Germany than Austria, but that is just a feeling.

notamermaid

10 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@vada_9 The steps is probably what got me confused. The photo shows a half open gate with a view of a closed gate. This kind of close-up photo does not really work at the locks I know. I thought you were at a ship lift. Does this work as chamber after chamber without real sailing in-between? Sounds more like English canal flights of locks than a standard European river lock.

Fascinating hydrological engineering.

Looking forward to QueenOfEverything's photo.

notamermaid

For @notamermaid here are a couple more photos first is us waiting to enter the first chamber - check out the "fog", I called it "smog" - you can sort of see the flights - there are parallel flights. The 2nd is from the viewing area. By the way we were here in 2012, so things have probably changed.

2012 06 jan china 249.jpg

2012-06 China Tom 598.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ljandgb said:

All that gold and fru-fru (AKA baroque style) reminds me of Melk Abby.

Not Melk Abby

18 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Rhine, cologne cathedral, ?

Correct River, wrong city

17 hours ago, notamermaid said:

an ecclesiastical building makes more sense than a castle or palace

Yes!

30 minutes ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

Strasbourg Cathedral Organ?

Yes!   Wow, I thought that was really hard.  The thing that impresses me most when visiting Europe is the incredible detail in all of the old structures.  There doesn't seem to be a square inch that has been left unadorned.  This is actually the bottom of the organ pipes.

You're up New Cruiser!

DSC03278.JPG

DSC03248.JPG

Queen of Everything, your photo was a true challenge. I only guessed Strasbourg because of the questions and hints

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

847FC65C-D38D-4120-BFFB-C89E12DA8D46.jpeg