MSC Seaside sticky buns

shipgeeks

One of the many things we're missing, without a cruise, is the sticky buns (nut-topped sweet rolls) served in the buffet every morning.

Today, DH made some, and they were good, but not quite the same.

Has anyone come up with a recipe that duplicates these delicious rolls?

Isn't it interesting that it is sometimes the "small stuff" that we miss from our cruise experiences?  HAL's Lido Restaurants always served warm sticky buns during Breakfast service.  At lunch, their Lido Restaurants always had warm Bread Pudding/Vanilla Sauce available.  Sometimes, a Chocolate Bread Pudding was also an option.  

All were so good.  And, all are missed.  

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 4:11 PM, shipgeeks said:

the sticky buns (nut-topped sweet rolls) served in the buffet every morning.

My memory kicked in this afternoon and I do remember the sticky buns being available on MSC Meraviglia in the YC Restaurant.  They were always part of the pastries available display visible upon entering the Restaurant.  Don't know if they were warm or not.  I never ordered them.  But, they did look delicious.  

They are delicious!  In the buffet, there was a big pan of them (maybe several dozen?) all side by side, and next to that a different version with icing (cream cheese?)  Now I'm drooling.....

And RK, I agree about the HAL sticky buns and the bread puddings with vanilla sauce.  Yum.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cellfree said:

For those of you 'eventually' on the Armonia, the sticky buns are outside the buffet area (which of course may no longer be a buffet) by the pizza station, took us a day or  two to find them, love them too much.

Your post reminds me of an irritant that too often occurs when I cruise.  Where are the items in the buffet that ought to be there and I can't find them?

The most irritating situation was on the Prinsendam.  Their Lido Restaurant was divided two sections on opposite sides of the ship.  The section that I patronized during the first three days of my cruise had no croissants(!).  On Day 4, finding the same situation, I questioned one of the Assistant Maitre d's about this.  His response:  "We have them.  They are on the other side."  There they were, true to his word.  They were in a revolving warming carousel device.  How was I supposed to know as a first time guest on the Prinsendam.

Same type of situation was experienced on the Royal Princess' Lido Restaurant due to its organization.  Trying to figure out "what was where" is not something I am really great in doing during the early morning hours.  

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

For those of you 'eventually' on the Armonia, the sticky buns are outside the buffet area (which of course may no longer be a buffet) by the pizza station, took us a day or  two to find them, love them too much.

Good to know, thank you!  We were to have been sailing on Armonia last April and May; I hope we will do so before too long.  It's nice to know they might be a fleet-wide goodie.

22 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Yeah, but Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake tho..........

Many love those "lava type chocolate melting cakes", I know.  They are good, but not my favorite item that the ship's Pastry Chef prepares.    

34 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I thought the croissants on MSC were some of the best I’d ever had.  I missed the sticky buns😩

The more reason to take another MSC cruise!  😀

If someone asked you "why did you decide to choose to take this cruise?"  And, your response was:  "I loved their croissants and wanted to try their sticky buns."  The individual's reaction to your answer might be quite interesting to experience.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The more reason to take another MSC cruise!  😀

If someone asked you "why did you decide to choose to take this cruise?"  And, your response was:  "I loved their croissants and wanted to try their sticky buns."  The individual's reaction to your answer might be quite interesting to experience.  

Add pizza to that list and my reasons might be understandable...lol.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 4:01 PM, cellfree said:

More FYI for the Armonia, The sticky buns are on the starboard side (pizza), on the port side, the hamburger and fries area is the omelet station for breakfast.

The free gelato stand is forward of the pool area on the port side.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:42 PM, dapreston said:

Funny hate the sticky buns but loved the ham and pineapple pizza which they only served once.  

Good reason for the pineapple and ham pizza appearing only once. It goes against every culinary standard that the pizza chef has to put pineapple and ham on a pizza.

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Good reason for the pineapple and ham pizza appearing only once. It goes against every culinary standard that the pizza chef has to put pineapple and ham on a pizza.

Have to agree with your post.  I can't imagine a ham and pineapple pizza, but they are well liked enough that many pizza restaurants have them on their menu.  

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The sticky buns are on the starboard side (pizza), on the port side, the hamburger and fries area is the omelet station for breakfast.

The free gelato stand is forward of the pool area on the port side.

This "where is what" in the buffet restaurants is one of my pet peeves about cruises.  It's like playing "hide and seek" when one is trying to find a particular food.  The bigger the ship's buffet restaurant, the more frustrating it is for me.  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This "where is what" in the buffet restaurants is one of my pet peeves about cruises.  It's like playing "hide and seek" when one is trying to find a particular food.  The bigger the ship's buffet restaurant, the more frustrating it is for me.  

I believe on the Armonia the problem is not that the buffet is too large, but that the serving area is too small. Hence the use  of the two other areas immediately outside the buffet area for additional food .

16 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Any thoughts about any of the breakfast pizzas?  I tried the sweet one; it was too dry for my taste.  I saw the one with an egg on it but never tried one.  Too busy eating warm sticky buns, I guess. (sigh)

I tried the one with egg on the Divina. I liked it and had it in the back of my mind as a breakfast option but with all the other choices, I never picked it again.

On 11/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, shipgeeks said:

Any thoughts about any of the breakfast pizzas?  I tried the sweet one; it was too dry for my taste.  I saw the one with an egg on it but never tried one.  Too busy eating warm sticky buns, I guess. (sigh)

A pizza for breakfast?  The concept of such does not appeal to me regardless of the ingredients.  Chalk me up as a traditionalist for breakfast foods.