River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

9 minutes ago, Microman123 said:

Groton Mystic for 5th & 6th grade (Mystic Academy),  Stonington Jr High, St. Bernard’s High. I’m sure we know some of the same people, like Amby Burfoot. 

I was on the other side of town, Eastern Point, West Side. Amby was one year ahead of me. I was on the track team with him. So we were not classmates, but we surely have a bunch of acquiantances/friends in common. Were you a runner? Here's Amby and friends at the unveiling of a statue of his HS coach and fellow Boston Marathon winner. Have you seen it?Burfoot.thumb.png.8a3d33c0f983f426bade1cb39c7b8e81.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RDVIK2016 said:

I was on the other side of town, Eastern Point, West Side. Amby was one year ahead of me. I was on the track team with him. So we were not classmates, but we surely have a bunch of acquiantances/friends in common. Were you a runner? Here's Amby and friends at the unveiling of a statue of his HS coach and fellow Boston Marathon winner. Have you seen it?Burfoot.thumb.png.8a3d33c0f983f426bade1cb39c7b8e81.png

Yes, just up the hill from Mystic Pizza. I actually lived just up the hill from where the statue is now. I ran cross country Sophomore year, but I’m not a runner. Knew of Johnny Kelly and followed Amby because I went to Northeastern in Boston and for a few years was in an apartment on Beacon Street. Marathon ran right past our front door. 

Edited by Microman123

I have actually witnessed a queue for a gents loo - it was on Devizes Wharf a few years ago during the Beer Festival. Our boat club was in attendance in numbers all entertaining guests, so it was a case of overloaded boats and overloaded bladders. A good time was had by all and the beer was rather good as well.

Just a quick note on the rain situation yesterday we had as a friend put it the ocean drop on us this morning a little less and not quite biblical proportions but a lot. I’ve made an absolute idiot of myself and tried to anti rain dance it away from the river systems in Europe I hope it works.

Oh and congrats to Germany and commiserations to Scotland. DH evidently enjoyed the game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Microman123 said:

Yes, just up the hill from Mystic Pizza. I actually lived just up the hill from where the statue is now. I ran cross country Sophomore year, but I’m not a runner. Knew of Johnny Kelly and followed Amby because I went to Northeastern in Boston and for a few years was in an apartment on Beacon Street. Marathon ran right past our front door. 

When you mentioned being at EB on a co-op program I figured you might have been at Northeastern.

A few names come to mind of friends who lived in that part of Mystic, but they are not public figures like Amby so I won't name them here. I do wish the PM function worked. Been nice chatting with you, and fun having our conversation kicked off of the Danube board together.

48 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

When you mentioned being at EB on a co-op program I figured you might have been at Northeastern.

A few names come to mind of friends who lived in that part of Mystic, but they are not public figures like Amby so I won't name them here. I do wish the PM function worked. Been nice chatting with you, and fun having our conversation kicked off of the Danube board together.

I'll just name one that  you may have known. Richard Desillier, he was a good friend that we lost in the Vietnam war. Enjoyed the conversation. 

20 minutes ago, Microman123 said:

I'll just name one that  you may have known. Richard Desillier, he was a good friend that we lost in the Vietnam war. Enjoyed the conversation. 

He was definitely one of the first to come to mind. Two or three years ago another friend actually made contact with a member of Dick's mortar crew. I don't think the US even admitted to being in Cambodia until a little later, but that is where he was killed. He was awarded the Silver Star for his heroism that day.

30 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

He was definitely one of the first to come to mind. Two or three years ago another friend actually made contact with a member of Dick's mortar crew. I don't think the US even admitted to being in Cambodia until a little later, but that is where he was killed. He was awarded the Silver Star for his heroism that day.

You are correct. He died where “ we weren’t there”! Knew his wife Elaine too. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 7:01 PM, RDVIK2016 said:

Let me know when you set up such a cruise combined with the use of a 1960 Borgward Isabella TS Cabriolet or a DKW Auto Union 1000 Sp of 1962-1965, preferably in the light yellow color. Those two cars qualify as mega adorable.

@RDVIK2016I'm sorry I am late to this party, but I have to mention an elderly gentleman who attends our church owns a beautifully restored '59 Isabella coupe. Stunning car.
Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Oh and congrats to Germany and commiserations to Scotland. DH evidently enjoyed the game.

Quite an eventful game. Feel a bit sorry for Scotland.

Albania tonight scored one of the fastest goals I have heard of in a long time and apparently the fastest ever in European Cup history - 23 seconds into the game! Then they lost against Italy 2:1.

notamermaid

13 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Sign seen at the Switzerland v Hungary  match - Fondu is better than Goulash.

And Albanians trolling Italy supporters, breaking pasta. 
IMG_9135.jpeg.4d977a697d1e953d34961adb606b937d.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg.8d5bddd30a18b9e78e8f97ee1505be13.jpeg

12 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Ooh that's a tough choice. Of course I'd far rather eat than watch boring football!

Add Euro 2024 to the US Olympic Swimming Trials as well as the US Open. Who has time to eat. 

47 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I wouldn't have known what to do if I had been having dinner at any of the local restaurants here:  all the Italian restaurants are now owned by Albanians!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wouldn't have known what to do if I had been having dinner at any of the local restaurants here:  all the Italian restaurants are now owned by Albanians!

Just laundromats for mob money. 😉

• Like 2

Walked through town today and this car came past tooting its horn, you know, wedding style, but there was a flag on it. Did not recognize it at first but then saw it was Italian. Took me a few seconds, then I realized that Italy had beaten Albania yesterday. The guy was just happy! Have not seen so many German flags for a long time, most likely since the World Cup. :classic_biggrin:

On the topic of vehicles. I was sent this info (tourism work related) about an unusual event. At the small town of Brohl on the Rhine, the narrow gauge railway has got its steam engine back in addition to their Diesel engine. The steam engine will take a train load of motorcycles up the hill through the Brohl valley. That sounds fun. I have looked on the website, it is on 29 June. Info only in German but I think you can recognize the names of some of these bikes and when they were built. It is an organized event and those bikes are scheduled to be coming: https://vulkan-express.de/component/jevents/icalrepeat.detail/2024/06/29/3124/26|28/zusaetzlicher-dampfzug-mit-motorrad-transport?Itemid=529&filter_reset=1

The last stretch of line has such a high gradient that the diesel needs to take over from the steam engine to get to the end of the line.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 4:05 AM, CPT Trips said:

IMG_9136.jpeg.8d5bddd30a18b9e78e8f97ee1505be13.jpeg

On that note, is it going to be an epic schnitzel and baguette fight?

Austria is playing France tonight. I am normally neutral on countries and matches that are not German or English [English, that was not very good yesterday, you need to do better if you want to beat us, ha!] but I think I will go for France. I want my French neighbour to be happy. 🙂

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

If you happen to be in Austria today, you may find it interesting that the national football team is playing the French team tonight in Düsseldorf. It is late in the evening unfortunately, but if you happen to have an overnight stay in Vienna, this may be the perfect time to spend an evening in a pub. 🙂 Oh, and Romania is playing Ukraine this afternoon. @Izengolf, any football enthusiasm around where you are?

notamermaid

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Oh, and Romania is playing Ukraine this afternoon. @Izengolf, any football enthusiasm around where you are?

Yes! The capital of our county, Oradea, will be showing all the games Romania plays in and the final on a big screen in the square so that will be quite a party. I will be on the ship for the playoffs and our last night is the final game. I was hoping they might play the final in the lounge but imagine many guests will not be interested in football / soccer 🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DH is with his mates for lunch at the moment but will return soon so our lounge will be football central. Off we go!
Im  almost certain the Ukrainians will have the full support of our football maniacs. 

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

On that note, is it going to be an epic schnitzel and baguette fight?

Austria is playing France tonight. I am normally neutral on countries and matches that are not German or English [English, that was not very good yesterday, you need to do better if you want to beat us, ha!] but I think I will go for France. I want my French neighbour to be happy. 🙂

notamermaid

I also expect the baguette to flatten the schnitzel.

Or, as this cartoon suggests, the baguette will twist the bretzel. 
IMG_9139.jpeg.9cb6fcdac9c834da81b9bb56dc2741d5.jpeg

• Like 1