River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

There are itineraries on several rivers that add a visits to Prague - but only the occasional Elbe itinerary will actually reach Prague by the water route. I figure this board might be the most appropriate for these photos of the Vltava/Moldau at Prague.

Prague as a large number of boats on the river providing a large dining facilities to little open boats. One photo has the MS Königsee that use to sail on other rivers for Nicko and another company, but is not tied up in Prague as a stationary hotel boat. A few months ago notamermaid educated us on what is a bridge "starling", so look for the "starlings" of Prague protecting the bridges. Czechs call them "ledomany" which basically means icebreaker. 

Hrad and Charles Bridge.jpg

Mala Strana from Vltava.jpg

Prague at Cechuv Most.jpg

Ledomany.jpg

Königstein.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised that we don’t have a Yarra - English what you and I purport to speak is one of the most importing languages in the world you’d be surprised how many words you and I use daily that are derived from languages all across the globe. I think it’s absolutely amazing long may it last as at least it’s an open language not closed like some countries.

Reading the news today we will all be required to have fingerprints taken before entry into the EU. Okay if that’s what they want but please make sure that your prints can be read, on our last visit to the USA my husbands couldn’t evidently it’s something to do with age, he ended up in a vey unsavoury area with some extremely unsavoury individuals to be checked by the so called experts. Okay they were gobsmacked that he was there and concerned that he was there but I was furious, to the extent that my daughters had to restrain me (mother bear syndrome) He has in the past been a frequent  business traveler to the US so should be on a list somewhere. I can understand the need for caution but it left a very bad taste. 
So please be careful it will, whatever they say add time to your airport/seaport experience. 
Just be aware!

On 5/28/2024 at 3:52 AM, Canal archive said:

This mare out localTV news . . . Looks like an event for people too small (too dumb?) to play Rugby. 

As you can see from the river threads we are not having fun in Germany with the weather. Here is a short report: https://www.iamexpat.de/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/level-3-weather-warning-issued-storms-forecast-germany

I was at the river yesterday and all looked fine but I am far away from the areas that are experiencing torrential rain. Yesterday I also went to a museum to see Romantic Rhine paintings, the actual river is not so romantic this weekend in the Upper Rhine valley and the flooding will come to the Rhine Gorge on Sunday.

I will be safely at work tomorrow while others down South may face water-related problems. Hope everyone will be safe and sound.

Have a good weekend wherever you are.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Considering that water is the main constructing element of our planet I’m surprised that we’re still considered to be in global warming with the sheer amount that has been dropped on continental Europe in the last few months. I strongly suspect that this extreme movement has happened  before and will again if only we could predict it. Still it’s a beautiful day here but the ground water levels are still far to high as I suspect they are across Europe.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Considering that water is the main constructing element of our planet I’m surprised that we’re still considered to be in global warming with the sheer amount that has been dropped on continental Europe in the last few months.

If you believe the headlines in late summer the Rhine river is drying up. 😉 All to be taken with a bit of healthy scepticism, you are right.

As a bit of brain relief from all the river gauge checking, I checked on the young, fit and healthy men chasing a ball last night on some grass in London. In fan terms, this was the Champions League final in Wembley Dortmund vs. Barcelona. My, were they skilful. Not saying who won.

I am off soon, away from the computer, so better have a look at what the rivers are doing. My sky here looks a "stay at home" grey, but I have to go out.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

If you believe the headlines in late summer the Rhine river is drying up. 😉 All to be taken with a bit of healthy scepticism, you are right.

As a bit of brain relief from all the river gauge checking, I checked on the young, fit and healthy men chasing a ball last night on some grass in London. In fan terms, this was the Champions League final in Wembley Dortmund vs. Barcelona. My, were they skilful. Not saying who won.

I am off soon, away from the computer, so better have a look at what the rivers are doing. My sky here looks a "stay at home" grey, but I have to go out.

notamermaid

That team won the last nine times they made it to the finals. Quite impressive. 

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Yes according to DH not a bad game. But what about the American team beating the Canadians at Cricket! Someone said something about did they understand the game - dahhhhh

Can someone translate this about the player of the game?

”The magnificent Aaron Jones finishes the game in a hurry. He reverse-sweeps Dutta for four, slog-sweeps the next ball for six – it was palmed over the rope by the fielder – and then slog-sweeps another to finish the job. What an amazing innings!”

Interesting that the NYC stadium is temporary, borrowed/rented from the Las Vegas F1 organizers. It’s to be dismantled and shipped back after the World Cup.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Yes according to DH not a bad game. But what about the American team beating the Canadians at Cricket! Someone said something about did they understand the game - dahhhhh

That's OK, Cricket is basically unheard of here. Now if it was Lacrosse that would be a different matter. We do better in the winter sports I think, except for water or cycling. Soccer (your Football) is getting big, but even the American Football is starting to slow down I think. I see a lot more soccer pitches than football fields.

Now if you wish to talk about curling... 🙂

3 minutes ago, Daisi said:

That's OK, Cricket is basically unheard of here. Now if it was Lacrosse that would be a different matter. We do better in the winter sports I think, except for water or cycling. Soccer (your Football) is getting big, but even the American Football is starting to slow down I think. I see a lot more soccer pitches than football fields.

Now if you wish to talk about curling... 🙂

Maybe in your part of the country. Here in the GTA cricket is quite popular because of our large south east asian population.

Posted (edited)

Lacrosse I actually understand.
Now cricket one side is in and then is bowled out then that side is in and on and on. I love its a great game watching David Gower (now retired) bat was a  superb experience. The best way to watch is with a large group of West Indians so much fun.

Edited by Canal archive

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Daisi don’t forget the Scots and curling I must admit another very watchable sport.

The Scots have only won the Men's World Curling Championship 6 times since 1959, Canadian men have won it 36 times. We love to curl over here...and a lot of it is outdoors on lakes & rivers.

• Like 2