River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

So, Romania won 3 - 0. That is a really good score for them. Barely have we entered that score into list when we can already get the crisps and beer ready for the next match and cheer for another Danube river country. Belgium is playing Slovakia. Of course if you prefer waffles, chocolate and fries, you are allowed to cheer for the Belgian team. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izengolf said:

I was hoping they might play the final in the lounge but imagine many guests will not be interested in football / soccer

I am sure some negotiating is possible... If Romania gets into the final, insist! 😊

notamermaid

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Izengolf said:

I live in an ethnically Slovakian village in Romania so that upcoming match is win-win for our neighbours 🎉

Congratulations on the double win for your village. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The French are the strong favourites to win, no doubt.

It is half time and currently Slovakian beer is dampening Belgian frites 1 - 0

notamermaid

Regardless of the upset, I much prefer a Belgium blonde with moules and frites to any Slovakian alternative. 

3 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Regardless of the upset, I much prefer a Belgium blonde with moules and frites to any Slovakian alternative. 

Ahh, no big deal, no upset. I for one prefer Belgian frites to French fries, those we call Pommes Frites. The British chips are something else again. Cannot eat mussles but chips on their own are fine for me. I did not try the beer in Slovakia when I was there, actually.

Not long after my river cruise on the Danube I was in England, somewhere roughly in the middle of the country. At the bar in the pub serving was a Slovakian guy, we drank Peroni (Italian beer) and talked about this and that. I told him that I had been to Bratislava and found it interesting. Then he said, "Ooh, Bratislava is ugly, go to the mountains." It would be nice if I could see them some time.

France won the match against Austria 1 - 0 From what I have seen and read, they were almost equally good, so 1 -1 would have been the "fairer" score.

notamermaid

That looks quite spectacular. I can see the barrier against the pollution. I just love those bridges. I guess the lorry driver does not after this...

We are having downpours and thunderstorms, quite severe, in parts of Rhineland-Palatinate. It is coming from the West-Southwest.

There are early flood warnings for some areas North of me, that is Cologne, etc., I guess that means the small rivers. I will watch that and see if anything needs to be put in the Rhine thread. Modelling suggests more rain for the Rhine valley coming. With both Lake Constance and Maxau gauge still on flood vigilance, the conditions on the Rhine are still not perfect. And I am still not happy about the high level of the Danube which as I mentioned in the threat is a bit vulnerable to sudden downpours. We are certainly having a wetter than average spring.

During the storm last week an aluminium bar had come down from our roof, luckily the roofer had time this morning so the repair has already been done. I was a bit worried that tiles would come down without the bar holding things in place. Hopefully all good now.

Two football matches today and then tomorrow: sausage against goulash. 😁

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2024 at 1:43 PM, notamermaid said:

Two football matches today and then tomorrow: sausage against goulash. 😁

Sausages triumphed.

The Scots are having a great time in Cologne today apparently - before the game. Ehrmm, is that Haggis against fondue? :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

43 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I’m not that fond of Haggis but mixed with fondue is certainly a big noooooooooo!

Did you know that one of the German equivalents of using up meat stuff like in Haggis, is Pfälzer Saumagen? Different meat but the same idea. Wonder if your DH has ever been served this when in the realm, i.e. the Palatine?

notamermaid

When I tried haggis, the taste reminded of scrapple although the haggis was clearly not pan fried. As the Pennsylvania Dutch came from the Palatinate, I assume scrapple is much like Pfälzer Saumagen. 

27 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

schweinshaxe especially in Munich

Yes, typically Bavarian.

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

As the Pennsylvania Dutch came from the Palatinate, I assume scrapple is much like Pfälzer Saumagen. 

Interesting. I looked this up and surprisingly there is a slightly different background. I guess, though, you could call them similar in that they throw the left over meat bits - the not so good stuff - together so as not to waste them. So both are German dishes in essence. Scrapple is the diminutive of scrap. There is no such type of food with that word in it in German I believe. Yet there is the word "schrapppen" which I assume is a cognate of scrap. The idea of that word is to have bits of something that you take off with a fast action from another bit, so not cutting like in "meat cuts" but cutting off or cutting into many pieces. It is not used often, though, and possibly a bit regional. The other word that the internet gives for scrapple is panhas. Now there we are with the left-over meat loaf, similar to Pfälzer Saumagen. Pannhas is actually the German word still used but not in the Palatine but more in the Ruhr region of North-Rhine Westphalia and thereabouts, i.e. that is where they cook Pannhas. And Wikipedia German explains that Pannhas came to the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Krefeld immigrants. That location of Germany makes sense: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhas

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:
3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid he can’t remember that particular meal but does remember a lot of schweinshaxe especially in Munich.

Yes, typically Bavarian.

Interesting. I looked this up and surprisingly there is a slightly different background. I guess, though, you could call them similar in that they throw the left over meat bits - the not so good stuff - together so as not to waste them. So both are German dishes in essence. Scrapple is the diminutive of scrap. There is no such type of food with that word in it in German I believe. Yet there is the word "schrapppen" which I assume is a cognate of scrap. The idea of that word is to have bits of something that you take off with a fast action from another bit, so not cutting like in "meat cuts" but cutting off or cutting into many pieces. It is not used often, though, and possibly a bit regional. The other word that the internet gives for scrapple is panhas. Now there we are with the left-over meat loaf, similar to Pfälzer Saumagen. Pannhas is actually the German word still used but not in the Palatine but more in the Ruhr region of North-Rhine Westphalia and thereabouts, i.e. that is where they cook Pannhas. And Wikipedia German explains that Pannhas came to the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Krefeld immigrants. That location of Germany makes sense: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhas

notamermaid

Some of those dishes containing offal are pretty darn good. That Pfälzer Saumagen looks delicious. I am sorry I missed having some last year when on the Rhine cruise. Bavarians eat so many organ meats and other scraps I may have had something similar: foods such as "Münchner Voressen" (you'll have to look that up), various sausages, and a favorite of mine Leberknödelsuppe (liver dumpling soup). However, don't be thrown off by the names Leberkäse (no liver and no cheese), or Falsches Hirn (false brain - actually mostly eggs and tomato) - but Saure Lunge (sour lung), and Ochsenschwanzsuppe (oxtail soup) are what they say they are.

Schweinshaxe, delicious! - Usually served as lot to eat for one person so bring your best appetite.

The last couple of trips we were in Nürnberg so I had to order a Fränkisches Schäufele (Franconian shoulder). It was so large and the potato dumpling that came with it was as big as a grapefruit ! No way I could finish them.  The guy at the next table polishes his off and asks for another one of those huge dumplings, which he also made quick work of!  The desk clerk at our hotel, a young man from Romania, was not surprised and said he has been incredibly impressed by how much Franconians can eat.

RDVIK

The closest I got to eating 'organ meats' was many years ago in San Francisco when a French restaurant's bread basket was full of sourdough bread [ok, it was San Fran].  I asked my waiter if they had any 'sweet bread,' and he look confused and asked if I wanted to change my order.  Once clarified, it turned out they didn't have any non-sourdough bread [and this was a French restaurant!  But yeah, San Fran...]

Oh, but I don't consider foie gras an 'organ meat.'  😏

Posted (edited)

I still have memories of a hotel restaurant in Venice USA it’s Valentines evening and we got into a food discussion with several other couples around us(this is the era of gee your Brits, thank goodness we’re past that) the discussion was about of all things bacon! Trying to explain ‘Canadian’ as opposed to ‘strip’ etc. We ended up having a really memorable evening over several drinks in the bar cementing Anglo/American relations. Food is a great leveller. DH is off today to meet mates in one of our local hostelries with our home grown rhubarb to distribute. Whoops fruit not meat!

Edited by Canal archive

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

For the Cricket!

You have to read the side bar piece, absolutely brilliant and in the Financial Times no less. Go USA!

I think somebody mentioned this earlier, but the USA Cricket Team reminds me of earlier days of NHL Hockey when the Stanley Cup came down to a team based in the US vs. one based in Canada:  "can our Canadians beat your Canadians?"  😏

@Host Jazzbeau - I've got two upcoming Scenic cruises and I've been watching tumbleweed in the Scenic section of  All Other River Cruise Roll Calls. Now I've found some river cruise roll calls in the Ocean Roll calls. Not surprising as it's titled Scenic Luxury Cruises Roll Call.

Any chance of you having a word with the CC powers in charge about retitling it say Scenic Ocean Cruises Roll Call.

And while they're doing that, now Saga do both Ocean and River cruises, perhaps   Saga Cruises Roll Call should be similarly changed

2 hours ago, pontac said:

@Host Jazzbeau - I've got two upcoming Scenic cruises and I've been watching tumbleweed in the Scenic section of  All Other River Cruise Roll Calls. Now I've found some river cruise roll calls in the Ocean Roll calls. Not surprising as it's titled Scenic Luxury Cruises Roll Call.

Any chance of you having a word with the CC powers in charge about retitling it say Scenic Ocean Cruises Roll Call.

And while they're doing that, now Saga do both Ocean and River cruises, perhaps   Saga Cruises Roll Call should be similarly changed

I'll pass this along.  In the meantime, I'll try to move the Scenic river roll calls to the proper place.  [IMHO they made it confusing by giving Viking River its own roll call forum and then calling the 'main' one 'Other']