Princess Alaska 2022?

luv2cruzuk

Here is the information that was  posted a bit ago on the Princess board.

Alaska 2022 goes on sale to the general public 12/16/20 (12/15 for Elites)

Key items of note - Royal is NOT returning to Alaska for 2022.  7nt N/S voyage of the Glaciers will be on Grand, Majestic and Sapphire in conjunction with cruisetours. Discovery will sail the 7nt Dawes Glacier itinerary r/t from Seattle and Emerald will sail the 7nt Glacier bay r/t from Seattle.  Ruby will continue to sail 10nt itineraries r/t San Francisco.  Limited 10/12nt sailings from Vancouver at very beginning and end of season.  No 14 day r/t listed from Los Angeles as of now. 

https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/content/princessus/SE0MS001AV_2022AlaskaReferenceFlyer_112420.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

if you had to pick one of the princess ships for Alaska 2022 which would you pick?.....we will be doing alaska for the first time and also Princess for the first time as we believe they would be ideal for us in that region.....interested to hear what people think...thanks

1 hour ago, cbowls30 said:

if you had to pick one of the princess ships for Alaska 2022 which would you pick?.....we will be doing alaska for the first time and also Princess for the first time as we believe they would be ideal for us in that region.....interested to hear what people think...thanks

When we used to sail with Princess, we liked Island and Coral. They had the best pax/space ratio and 2 fwd decks below the Bridge for great viewing and photos.

I would avoid any of the Royal Class or even bigger ships in Alaska.

3 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

Coral Princess first, Sapphire next.

14 hours ago, Coral said:

Coral Princess first, Sapphire next.

After Coral/Island the Diamond & Sapphire were our 2nd choice. Built in Japan they had a vastly superior build quality than the French or Italian built ships.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

After Coral/Island the Diamond & Sapphire were our 2nd choice. Built in Japan they had a vastly superior build quality than the French or Italian built ships.

I completely agree about the Japanese build. The Diamond and Sapphire just seemed "better built" than the Italian build ships.

While I haven't been on the Island Princess - after Princess did the retrofit, she is no longer a ship I would put on the list. She no longer is a twin. They took out a lounge, added a bunch of cabins, etc.... She no longer is as spacious as she used to be.

Though itinerary always rules in Alaska and I don't know about the itineraries these ships are sailing.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I completely agree about the Japanese build. The Diamond and Sapphire just seemed "better built" than the Italian build ships.

While I haven't been on the Island Princess - after Princess did the retrofit, she is no longer a ship I would put on the list. She no longer is a twin. They took out a lounge, added a bunch of cabins, etc.... She no longer is as spacious as she used to be.

Though itinerary always rules in Alaska and I don't know about the itineraries these ships are sailing.

So true about Island. Only Princess can ruin an excellent ship by adding additional cabins. Similar to ruining the original Grand Class ships, starting with Caribbean, when they added an extra deck of cabins to the same hull.

Haven't been on Island since they added the extra cabins. Since we no longer use Princess, we wont see the difference.

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

So true about Island. Only Princess can ruin an excellent ship by adding additional cabins. Similar to ruining the original Grand Class ships, starting with Caribbean, when they added an extra deck of cabins to the same hull.

Haven't been on Island since they added the extra cabins. Since we no longer use Princess, we wont see the difference.

I completely agree! I sailed on the Crown once and it was so crowded! I have stayed away from her sisters. Most of the Princess fleet I like is now gone (Star, Golden, etc...). I like the Sapphire and Coral Princess. Not sure if I would like the Diamond Princess with the modifications for the Asian market. I would probably sail her though.

I can't believe Jan Swartz was promoted.....

I really liked my river cruise. 100 passengers is so nice 🙂

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I completely agree! I sailed on the Crown once and it was so crowded! I have stayed away from her sisters. Most of the Princess fleet I like is now gone (Star, Golden, etc...). I like the Sapphire and Coral Princess. Not sure if I would like the Diamond Princess with the modifications for the Asian market. I would probably sail her though.

I can't believe Jan Swartz was promoted.....

I really liked my river cruise. 100 passengers is so nice 🙂

Princess has been going downhill since P&O was purchased by Carnival.

The Diamond was a brilliant ship - we did a couple of B2B in Alaska and also a B2B in SE Asia. I knew one of the Diamond's Captains and our son also was Navigator on both Diamond & Coral.

Just now, Heidi13 said:

Princess has been going downhill since P&O was purchased by Carnival.

The Diamond was a brilliant ship - we did a couple of B2B in Alaska and also a B2B in SE Asia. I knew one of the Diamond's Captains and our son also was Navigator on both Diamond & Coral.

I completely agree (from a passenger stand point). I know you have a different perspective. I fell in love with cruising in the 90's with the Sun Class ships. I still love those ships.

I have not been on the Diamond but I know she was a sister of the Sapphire. I have probably been on the Sapphire more than any other Princess ship. I just don't know if the changes to make it appeal to the Asian market would make it as enjoyable to me as it was original. Isn't there Japanese baths, etc.... Just not sure how much they modified it. I know they didn't add more passenger cabins which I am thankful for.

I hope we cross paths one day! I am sure you have some amazing stories.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I completely agree (from a passenger stand point). I know you have a different perspective. I fell in love with cruising in the 90's with the Sun Class ships. I still love those ships.

I have not been on the Diamond but I know she was a sister of the Sapphire. I have probably been on the Sapphire more than any other Princess ship. I just don't know if the changes to make it appeal to the Asian market would make it as enjoyable to me as it was original. Isn't there Japanese baths, etc.... Just not sure how much they modified it. I know they didn't add more passenger cabins which I am thankful for.

I hope we cross paths one day! I am sure you have some amazing stories.

Even if we relented and returned to Princess, we would no longer consider the Diamond, due to the modifications. Most unfortunate, as prior to all these changes, we had the best 4 ships sailing from Vancouver every summer.

Only time we were on Sapphire was when she was alongside in Vancouver. Son's graduation from the local marine college was held aboard her. The Captain was a Brit, but came from Cunard, so I didn't know him.

Couple of interesting tidbits - the Diamond & Sapphire changed names during the build, which resulted from a fire in the yard on the first ship. Island & Coral were purpose built for the canal, but the lifeboats were too wide, so had to be secured further inboard prior to the transit. Deck crew weren't happy.

6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Couple of interesting tidbits - the Diamond & Sapphire changed names during the build, which resulted from a fire in the yard on the first ship. Island & Coral were purpose built for the canal, but the lifeboats were too wide, so had to be secured further inboard prior to the transit. Deck crew weren't happy.

I knew about the Diamond and Sapphire. I was scheduled on the inaugural Diamond Princess on a B2B which would have been a sampler to Alaska and then an Alaskan trip. I remember the pictures in the shipyard of the Diamond Princess of the fire and how they had to start back from the hull and build back up. I still think Mitsubishi makes great ships.

Did not know about the Island and Coral Princess. I know Princess had an option to build 2 more and declined it. So disappointed in that decision as I like the 90,000 tonn size.