Cruise cancelled in May

Topdog52

My Canadian cruise in May on the Pearl was cancelled. I started looking for a Canadian cruise for this Oct. and found out after the 30% discount the Cruise on the Gem cost just a little bit more than my May cruise. So much for NCL's discount!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. You are trying to book in peek fall foliage season.

Wrong!! I have screen shots of prices from last fall and they are very similar to the spring prices of this year that were cancelled. They are no where 30% higher as the new prices show. NCL Jacked the prices up and are trying to convince people that they are getting a bargain by discounting the cruises by 30%. If they need money that is one thing but don't play games because people are not stupid and it is easy to check prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

Wrong!! I have screen shots of prices from last fall and they are very similar to the spring prices of this year that were cancelled. They are no where 30% higher as the new prices show. NCL Jacked the prices up and are trying to convince people that they are getting a bargain by discounting the cruises by 30%. If they need money that is one thing but don't play games because people are not stupid and it is easy to check prices.

NCL jacking prices has been a topic that has been extensively discussed.  This isn't new news to anyone (except maybe you).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

don't play games because people are not stupid and it is easy to check prices.

Indeed!  Most people are not confused by the ups and downs of cruise pricing.  But in a capitalist world, cruise lines are welcome to raise and lower their prices based on market forces just as I am able to book or not book a cruise based on that pricing.  I routinely check prices.  Just today as I was pricing a cruise I watched the price go up as I lingered on the booking page.  But from experience I know that price will go back down tomorrow and if I choose to book, I further expect that inflated price will go down still further in the future and I'll have another opportunity to re-fare my cruise or cancel altogether if I don't think it is a good value as final payment approaches.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:50 PM, Topdog52 said:

So much for NCL's discount!!!!!

I'm not at all confused by NCL's discount, nor (IMHO) should anyone else be confused, or carp about the fact that ALL the cruise lines do this.  As a consumer, I and I alone, am responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.  It is an old and well founded principle:

Caveat Emptor!

• Like 1

I believe the price increased are due the the nature of the sailings.

If these cruises take place, and by October it's much more likely, the sailing will have to follow the CDC guidance, the restrictions will not only be masks and no buffet but more importantly for price, they will sail at a reduced capacity.

If you have a ship sailing without packing passengers in, the ticket price has to go up and I believe they are pricing on this reduced capacity.

I know some people are against this but, when enough people are vaccinated, if the cruise lines eventually introduce rules to only allow vaccinated people on board they will be able to fill up to capacity and the prices can come back down.

It would be great sailing Alaska with a reduced capacity, but that costs money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I believe the price increased are due the the nature of the sailings.

If these cruises take place, and by October it's much more likely, the sailing will have to follow the CDC guidance, the restrictions will not only be masks and no buffet but more importantly for price, they will sail at a reduced capacity.

If you have a ship sailing without packing passengers in, the ticket price has to go up and I believe they are pricing on this reduced capacity.

I know some people are against this but, when enough people are vaccinated, if the cruise lines eventually introduce rules to only allow vaccinated people on board they will be able to fill up to capacity and the prices can come back down.

It would be great sailing Alaska with a reduced capacity, but that costs money.

If that is true and They need the extra money which I agree with you about this. Then why offer a 30% discount after raising the price. I know what NCL does and that is why I take screen shots from time to time so I can compare prices. I just wanted the new people to be aware what was going on an not rush into anything. This cyber sale has been going on for some time now. I hope people do not think once it ends that the price is going to go 30%.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

I just wanted the new people to be aware what was going on an not rush into anything.

and there are other threads on here from last week about the exact same topic.  You're just piling on and acting like you're the first to notice..

Additionally - NCL isn't the only line messing with the pricing, all of the main-brand (Carnival and Royal) are, some of the sub-brands (Celebrity, Princess) may not be to the same extent.

Edited by hallux

14 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

If that is true and They need the extra money which I agree with you about this. Then why offer a 30% discount after raising the price. I know what NCL does and that is why I take screen shots from time to time so I can compare prices. I just wanted the new people to be aware what was going on an not rush into anything. This cyber sale has been going on for some time now. I hope people do not think once it ends that the price is going to go 30%.

They have always done that, there's thread after thread dating back years on this site.
I do truly believe it will be a very long time until we see truly discounted prices we have seen in the past due to the way they will have to sail.

Look at all the threads where people have FCC and they can't find a reasonably priced cruse to use it on.

Edited by ziggyuk

On 12/5/2020 at 6:50 PM, Topdog52 said:

My Canadian cruise in May on the Pearl was cancelled. I started looking for a Canadian cruise for this Oct. and found out after the 30% discount the Cruise on the Gem cost just a little bit more than my May cruise. So much for NCL's discount!!!!!

I know its been discussed often.  But not everyone is an experienced cruiser.

Maybe NCL, RC, and others should stop playing games.  

60% off second guest vs 30% off each guest. BFD !!!