Mandatory that Doc is on board!

USCcruisecrazy

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

When was the last time you went to a hospital or clinic in the US?  Look hard to find the doctor who went to med school in the US, so what's the difference between what you get on land versus what you'll get at sea?

That's not my point at all. My own doctor went to med school in Italy but he's passed his state boards and received a license to practice in my state. I have zero issues with this.

Kamloops stated that the proposed law requires US Certified doctors, i.e. doctors licensed to practice in the USA. All the articles and even the proposed law's text only says 'trained doctors' with no mention of US certification. It's a subtle but important difference. Most of the doctors on ships aren't licensed in the USA but are certified in their home countries. Having to comply with US certification would increase cruise line costs as well as probably increase the cost of medical care on the ships.

I'm really after trying to call out posters who make up extra stuff based probably on bad assumptions. It really detracts from our discussions and sends people on wild-goose chases.

Kind of like the on-going thread about being not allowed off the ship in ports unless it's a Princess excursion. So many people think this is a done deal because that's what Costa is currently doing but Princess hasn't said a word about it until only very recently and that was just that they were looking at it.

10 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

That's not my point at all. My own doctor went to med school in Italy but he's passed his state boards and received a license to practice in my state. I have zero issues with this.

I'm sorry I didn't make my point more clear.  I'm with you and where you're going with this.  My point was for Kamloops and Senator Blumenthal.  If they were only going to allow "US Certified Doctors" they're going to have a very hard time finding them.

• Like 1

I don’t know about US certified doctors but I remember being told on the ultimate ship tour that the doctors on board had to have either ICU or emergency room experience. I kind of think it was two years experience but I’m not absolutely sure of that. We were also told that the number of doctors on board was regulated by the number of passengers. Royal class ships have more passengers and require more doctors, nurses, etc. There were three doctors on board at that time.

8 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Kamloops stated that the proposed law requires US Certified doctors, i.e. doctors licensed to practice in the USA. All the articles and even the proposed law's text only says 'trained doctors' with no mention of US certification. It's a subtle but important difference. Most of the doctors on ships aren't licensed in the USA but are certified in their home countries. Having to comply with US certification would increase cruise line costs as well as probably increase the cost of medical care on the ships.

I'm really after trying to call out posters who make up extra stuff based probably on bad assumptions. It really detracts from our discussions and sends people on wild-goose chases.

Kind of like the on-going thread about being not allowed off the ship in ports unless it's a Princess excursion. So many people think this is a done deal because that's what Costa is currently doing but Princess hasn't said a word about it until only very recently and that was just that they were looking at it.

We can only hope that future cruise ship doctors are certified to be able to practice  in the USA .My persona reason is that I was misdiagnosed once by a female columbian doctor on a cruise ship .Thank god we had 5 days land in florida between cruises .I was not feeling very well & stopped in a Orlando fl area hospital  .Found out I did not have a told but I had pneumonia   .Givwn the proper meds took care of it & we sailed on the next cruise .Thus ,I have a personal interest in this discussion .

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If they were only going to allow "US Certified Doctors" they're going to have a very hard time finding them.

But you can find this on the Internet:

Unlimited Access to US Certified Doctors
For just $14.95 a month, you have unlimited access to US certified doctors. You don't need to wait to care for yourself and loved ones.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

We can only hope that future cruise ship doctors are certified to be able to practice  in the USA .My persona reason is that I was misdiagnosed once by a female columbian doctor on a cruise ship .

And we have experienced misdiagnoses by doctors who are licensed to practice in states we have lived in.

• Like 3