Vaccine Passports - Interesting T&L article

ninjacat123

3 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

This does not sound like a vacation to me... 🙂

You're correct about 3 Covid tests not sounding like vacation.  One will probably be required, and three is going a bit overboard in my opinion.  But since you're not getting the vaccine, it does look like you'll be land based for vacations for many years in the future.

11 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

I'm a nurse and fully a third of our staff has declined.  Not just the ones in child-bearing age even.  Many of the over 60 group (we have a lot of "retired" per diem staff) have declined, as well.
To be fair, most of us have had covid (myself included) and experienced mild cases.  If the cruise lines require the vaccine (their right) I will have to just do beach vacations in the US.    

My wife and I will be having a drink at the bar next to you 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You're correct about 3 Covid tests not sounding like vacation.  One will probably be required, and three is going a bit overboard in my opinion.  But since you're not getting the vaccine, it does look like you'll be land based for vacations for many years in the future.

I agree, doesn't sound fun. But at least for the time being, unless you like being a hermit, you have to wear a mask and social distance pretty much everywhere nowadays. And airlines in the US are increasingly looking to require proof of negative tests or some form of electronic passport in order to fly. I will say that my wife and I had a spectacular time in Mexico last year and the resort did a fantastic job with the COVID-19 protocols. You can be safe and still have a good time, it's not either/or. I also corresponded with some Italians who sailed the MSC Grandiosa last August and they had a great cruise and were kept safe, too.

• Like 2

And my next question is : If they require proof you've had the vaccine......how will that work considering you need one every year. The dates are going to be all over the place.....some people have now had their second shot so will need another next Dec/Jan.....but others haven't been offered it yet so may be June (just an example). How long will the previous shot be considered valid? And will the vaccine record show an expiration date?

10 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

And my next question is : If they require proof you've had the vaccine......how will that work considering you need one every year. The dates are going to be all over the place.....some people have now had their second shot so will need another next Dec/Jan.....but others haven't been offered it yet so may be June (just an example). How long will the previous shot be considered valid? And will the vaccine record show an expiration date?

There is no evidence one way or the other, AFAIK, whether an annual booster shot will be required.

And if it turns out we need an annual booster shot, then I better have proof I had that shot within one year of my cruise.  Whatever documentation you get now to prove you had the shot indicates the date it was administered.

Just like all the other booster shots.

It is quite possible, regardless of how long the current vaccine is considered effective, that we'll only need one round, if enough people get it to develop an effective "herd immunity".  Three years ago we were not immune to the virus, but we weren't dying of it because it wasn't in the general population (or anywhere, perhaps).  If enough people become immune, it "should" die out in the general population.

But maybe that won't happen, and boosters will be needed.