Vaccine Passports - Interesting T&L article

ninjacat123

17 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

I believe it was poster 1980dory who said they were part of Pfizer study, had the placebo and now they were at the bottom of list. This is very different from what you posted and also from my brother who was part of the Pfizer study, had the placebo and was notified he was given the placebo. They got him his first  dose yesterday. 

That pretty much goes along with my experience ( and what I posted)  Not sure why this has turned so negative.  Is your brother still part of the study?  I was asked to continue so they could monitor how long the antibodies remain in my system.  They did give me a letter with vaccination dates and lot numbers for proof that I have had the vaccine.  I know he is glad to finally get the vaccine too!

baf

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

That pretty much goes along with my experience ( and what I posted)  Not sure why this has turned so negative.  Is your brother still part of the study?  I was asked to continue so they could monitor how long the antibodies remain in my system.  They did give me a letter with vaccination dates and lot numbers for proof that I have had the vaccine.  I know he is glad to finally get the vaccine too!

baf

He is not part of the study any longer . He said all along he didn’t think he got the real vaccine, it was just a hunch but confirmed when he got notified .. but is relived he got the real one now .

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 6:42 PM, firefly333 said:

I got a brother in law not getting it he says. He heard about the side effects, no sense. So no amount of politicians getting a different vaccine will change his mind. Hes 82 with diabetes. So that means either will my sister. ..and I worry about them being around my folks. I guess I'm a worrier.

Before condemning your BIL, maybe you should think about trying to see it from his side.  I can tell you from direct experience that I have seen a good amount of pretty nasty side effects from this vaccine including facial disfigurement, significant arm swelling and bruising (a week after the shot), nausea, severe migranes and a death....  I took the first round, but I am not taking the second shot myself.  Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100

9 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Before condemning your BIL, maybe you should think about trying to see it from his side.  I can tell you from direct experience that I have seen a good amount of pretty nasty side effects from this vaccine including facial disfigurement, significant arm swelling and bruising (a week after the shot), nausea, severe migranes and a death....  I took the first round, but I am not taking the second shot myself.  Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance.

If he and my sister werent around my parents aged 94 and 102 I wouldnt care.

They also go to church, no risk there he tells me, no church members have gotten it. My sister gets her nails done without a partition and her hair cut all the time, love walmart. Imo dont do risky behaviour and then risk my parents. My sister isnt capable of knowing. She is a slow learner. Cant make change for a dollar.

Unless you walk a mile in my shoes dont judge my reaction. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If he and my sister werent around my parents aged 94 and 102 I wouldnt care.

They also go to church, no risk there he tells me, no church members have gotten it. My sister gets her nails done without a partition and her hair cut all the time, love walmart. Imo dont do risky behaviour and then risk my parents. My sister isnt capable of knowing. She is a slow learner. Cant make change for a dollar.

Unless you walk a mile in my shoes dont judge my reaction. 

So it's OK for you to judge, but nobody else can?  I never once judged anyone for either taking it or not taking it.  That's strictly a personal decision.  You are the one throwing judgement on your BIL, not me.

1 minute ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

So it's OK for you to judge, but nobody else can?  I never once judged anyone for either taking it or not taking it.  That's strictly a personal decision.  You are the one throwing judgement on your BIL, not me.

It's my choice not yours. Sorry you cant understand. I agree I'm judging. Protective of my parents.

24 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I took the first round, but I am not taking the second shot myself.  Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance.

You do realize that by not taking the second shot you will not be cruising for a long long time and you'll have to come up with an alternative vacation method. 

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You do realize that by not taking the second shot you will not be cruising for a long long time and you'll have to come up with an alternative vacation method. 

I don't live and die with cruising so I think I'll be OK.  For the record, I didn't say I am never going to take it.  I am waiting to see the effectiveness and safety before I proceed (as is half the US population I might add).  I have seen too many bad reactions in the initial phases to feel comfortable for myself.

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's my choice not yours. Sorry you cant understand. I agree I'm judging. Protective of my parents.

Sorry Fire, I understand completely.  You have every right to take the vaccine or not.  I'm glad you agree that your judging your BIL but once your parents get the vaccine, it shouldn't matter whether gets it or not because your parents are theoretically protected, right?  

7 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I have seen too many bad reactions in the initial phases to feel comfortable for myself.

You took the first shot and you did not say that you personally had a bad reaction.  Now you're going to deny yourself the second shot just because you have heard about other people having bad reactions.  If you knew about these bad reactions, then why did you get the first shot in the first place?  I can see you being apprehensive,  but why now after already taking the first shot and not having a reaction?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Sorry Fire, I understand completely.  You have every right to take the vaccine or not.  I'm glad you agree that your judging your BIL but once your parents get the vaccine, it shouldn't matter whether gets it or not because your parents are theoretically protected, right?  

Again you are making assumptions. Actually my dad could have taken the vaccine, but is not able to handle lines and hours of wait time and isnt feeling well. I made a appointment and had to cancel it. My mom said she was barely able to handle it. She has copd. 

If I can get him a new appointment at the drive thru that opens tomorrow..maybe. idk if I can now that he took a appointment and had to cancel. So your assumption that the place open here that is doing mass vaccinations is something my dad can handle is wrong. 

And I know I'll be the one handling stuff as usual. If I'm the one doing for my parents, shopping, driving them, etc, then I do have some reasons. My mom and I got the vaccine as I posted, but not my dad. Quit being so judgemental...as I said until you walk in my shoes you have no right to judge me, then say you dont judge. Obviously you dont see your words are judgemental.  But you are judging me and telling me what to think. Listen to yourself before you claim to not judge. 

If later I can get my dad the vaccine in a less taxing way, then I agree, makes no difference what my sister and bil do. Quit judging. Do what you say...dont say you dont judge, then judge me. Hypocritical. You dont know my situation. 

To the person who took the first shot but now changed their mind: Without the second shot, the first one is null & void. Wasted. (Unless you had a reaction that warrants waiting.)

I think they will require both a negative covid test (because that's what is required right now to enter the US by plane) as well as a shot. The shot alone does not mean you are covid free. It says right in the information that you can still get it. They want to be sure people are 100% healthy when they walk on board. The test does that.

My daughter is 23 & opting out. The side effects do include sterilization. She wants a family. She's healthy and has a good chance of recovery if she gets Covid. I respect her choice.

I received the first shot yesterday . The only side effects so far Is a sore arm . They gave us a card From the CDC Stating that we have had The first shot . There Is a space on the card To fill in when I get the second shot . Perhaps this card is what the cruise lines will require .

34 minutes ago, CheckersMidwest said:

To the person who took the first shot but now changed their mind: Without the second shot, the first one is null & void. Wasted. (Unless you had a reaction that warrants waiting.)

I think they will require both a negative covid test (because that's what is required right now to enter the US by plane) as well as a shot. The shot alone does not mean you are covid free. It says right in the information that you can still get it. They want to be sure people are 100% healthy when they walk on board. The test does that.

My daughter is 23 & opting out. The side effects do include sterilization. She wants a family. She's healthy and has a good chance of recovery if she gets Covid. I respect her choice.

That person would be me and I understand that completely that I won't be able to travel outside the US most likely.  My daughter is 24, is a nurse and has seen a bunch of reactions to the shot from her co-workers who are young.  She is not taking it specifically because of the rumors about potential sterilization.  I don't necessarily believe those rumors myself but she is not willing to take that risk.  Each business (including cruises) will (should) have the option to decide what they will allow and what they won't.  I personally have no problem if Carnival requires a vaccine to cruise.  I'll either get it or vacation somewhere else.

30 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

I received the first shot yesterday . The only side effects so far Is a sore arm . They gave us a card From the CDC Stating that we have had The first shot . There Is a space on the card To fill in when I get the second shot . Perhaps this card is what the cruise lines will require .

I personally doubt that card will be what they require.  It seems to easy to forge.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Again you are making assumptions. Actually my dad could have taken the vaccine, but is not able to handle lines and hours of wait time and isnt feeling well. I made a appointment and had to cancel it. My mom said she was barely able to handle it. She has copd. 

If I can get him a new appointment at the drive thru that opens tomorrow..maybe. idk if I can now that he took a appointment and had to cancel. So your assumption that the place open here that is doing mass vaccinations is something my dad can handle is wrong. 

And I know I'll be the one handling stuff as usual. If I'm the one doing for my parents, shopping, driving them, etc, then I do have some reasons. My mom and I got the vaccine as I posted, but not my dad. Quit being so judgemental...as I said until you walk in my shoes you have no right to judge me, then say you dont judge. Obviously you dont see your words are judgemental.  But you are judging me and telling me what to think. Listen to yourself before you claim to not judge. 

If later I can get my dad the vaccine in a less taxing way, then I agree, makes no difference what my sister and bil do. Quit judging. Do what you say...dont say you dont judge, then judge me. Hypocritical. You dont know my situation. 

Lol.  Fire, I'm honestly not judging you at all.  If it's coming across that way I apologize.  You seem to take pride in taking care of your family and that's a trait that seems to be sorely lacking in our current environment.  I'm praying for your mom.  My dad has copd as well and it's no picnic for him.

52 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I personally doubt that card will be what they require.  It seems to easy to forge.

Quite possibly,  but how would someone prove that they had the vaccination?   A note from a Doctor is easy to forge.  Medical records are protected by law.  

17 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Quite possibly,  but how would someone prove that they had the vaccination?   A note from a Doctor is easy to forge.  Medical records are protected by law.  

They're protected from providers releasing them without permission, but they can be asked for.  Like schools require vaccination records from students and can deny enrollment if they're not provided. 

I agree that proof may be hard to verify the authenticity of, but then the port employees look at identity documents from all over the place to determine if you can board the ship to begin with and those can be forged as well.  My husband and I and our two children were all born the same hospital and our birth certificates all look different even though issued from the same city.

They may just look at proof to the best of their ability and hold the passenger responsible if it's determined they lied and forged documents. I think if a vaccine is required, it'll be handled like that and likely a quick covid test of everyone on board and maybe again 3 days into the cruise?  And maybe even again before disembarking.   

1 hour ago, joeyancho said:

Most likely the solution will be tying everyone's medical records into their passport, DL or SS information.  A quick scan of the passport (or right hand) would suffice to prove vaccination.

4 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I got the first shot today at noon (pst), and arm still feels ok, almost 4 hrs later. I took some ibuprofen when I got home, so maybe it is delaying ache...lol

I did know to expect it though. I got the same card.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silversneakers said:

I believe it is 65.  I spent 1 1/2 hrs online beginning at 5:30a.m. to get an appointment only for the system to crash!!

In Florida it’s 65 and over or if under a doctors care , that has hospital privileges if the doc says you are in high risk , you can get it at hospital.

today my neighbors totaling 8 all 65 and older got vaccinated . They spent less than an hour online and all got appointments..it’s getting better , cruising will be back, not sure when but it will happen !

1 hour ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Most likely the solution will be tying everyone's medical records into their passport, DL or SS information.  A quick scan of the passport (or right hand) would suffice to prove vaccination.

I noted one of the river cruise companies put you up at a hotel the day before the cruise and you have to be tested. The also said they disinfect the luggage prior to boarding the ship as well as disinfect their private tour buses when you get on and off.  Of course, smaller amount of passengers would allow for this but the large cruise lines I don't see that happening. I just thought that was an interesting process.

8 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

That person would be me and I understand that completely that I won't be able to travel outside the US most likely.  My daughter is 24, is a nurse and has seen a bunch of reactions to the shot from her co-workers who are young.  She is not taking it specifically because of the rumors about potential sterilization.  I don't necessarily believe those rumors myself but she is not willing to take that risk.  Each business (including cruises) will (should) have the option to decide what they will allow and what they won't.  I personally have no problem if Carnival requires a vaccine to cruise.  I'll either get it or vacation somewhere else.

I'm a nurse and fully a third of our staff has declined.  Not just the ones in child-bearing age even.  Many of the over 60 group (we have a lot of "retired" per diem staff) have declined, as well.
To be fair, most of us have had covid (myself included) and experienced mild cases.  If the cruise lines require the vaccine (their right) I will have to just do beach vacations in the US.    

• Like 1