Vaccine Passports - Interesting T&L article

ninjacat123

On 12/31/2020 at 11:08 AM, stellarose said:

wonder if carnival will make us do this? 

Not sure if the cruise lines will, but many of the countries they visit may.  The government is finally considering opening the borders here for tourism in March — after being closed for a year — and one of the conditions to travel here will be you must have the vaccine.

• Like 1

My guess is all passengers will need to provide either proof of vaccination or negative test within 3 days of departure.  Additionally you will need rapid test at the port and masks will still be required on the ship.  Each individual port may also have there own restrictions such as excursions through the ship only... ie: no going off on your own.

It will be interesting to see what passengers decide to do, considering that many ports could require proof of immunization or you can't access their port. If Carnival decides to not require immunization then the ship may be more busy than usual on a port day.

37 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

It will be interesting to see what passengers decide to do, considering that many ports could require proof of immunization or you can't access their port. If Carnival decides to not require immunization then the ship may be more busy than usual on a port day.

There really is no way that the cruise line cannot require a vaccine if any of the ports have that requirement. The logistics of who can get off and who cannot would just be too complicated.

1 hour ago, Cafedumonde said:

I agree that they will require vaccine or rapid test.  Carnival will definitely loose a huge % of their cruisers if they only give vaccine option.

Not as much as they're losing right now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

I agree that they will require vaccine or rapid test.  Carnival will definitely loose a huge % of their cruisers if they only give vaccine option.

CCL is part of the same corporation that Princess is and of course back in March, Princess was at the epicenter of Covid related cruises.

I think that every division of Carnival Corporation will make it mandatory that you're vaccinated before you cruise.  The only exceptions would possibly be during the testing cruises, which may not be required to make a foreign port stop.  Of course this is just speculation,  but with how slow the vaccines are being given out, who knows where we will be in about 3-4 months when the testing hopefully  begins. 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

There really is no way that the cruise line cannot require a vaccine if any of the ports have that requirement. The logistics of who can get off and who cannot would just be too complicated.

Agreed. I suspect that enough ports will require proof of vaccine that the cruise lines will require it across the board. They aren't going to want to put ship security in the business of determining who can get off in which ports and enforcing that if someone tries to get off in a port that requires a vaccination. I think there's also a very good chance that if the cruise lines don't require it of all passengers, ports which require proof of vaccine would simply not allow the ship to dock.

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I think there's also a very good chance that if the cruise lines don't require it of all passengers, ports which require proof of vaccine would simply not allow the ship to dock

Bang on there!  Why would the port authorities allow people to come ashore when they have no idea who (or what) they’ve been mixing with while onboard?  Certainly, a fully vaccinated ship (if that’s what actually happens) will never be 100% reliably free of COVID-19 but a partially vaccinated one is likely a problem waiting to probably happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Agreed. I suspect that enough ports will require proof of vaccine that the cruise lines will require it across the board. They aren't going to want to put ship security in the business of determining who can get off in which ports and enforcing that if someone tries to get off in a port that requires a vaccination. I think there's also a very good chance that if the cruise lines don't require it of all passengers, ports which require proof of vaccine would simply not allow the ship to dock.

I think most of us will be surprised how resourceful some of these small ports of call will be when it becomes  choice of Crui$e $hip$ or Nothing.  Some of these places will have better vaccination programs due to size and lack of complexity needed.  Cruise ships will be welcomed.

I think cruise lines are going to have to do everything in their power to prevent serious outbreaks of the virus. This should definitely include required vaccinations for all passengers... and until covid is more under control overall, the other measures should stay too. 

10 hours ago, sanger727 said:

An analogy can be made with the situation when Brazil required US citizens to have a visa from Brazil go enter their country. Instead of trying to only allow those who met the requirement to disembark in Brazil. the cruise lines required that visa to board the ship.

I hope that vaccination proof is required to cruise. People who dismiss vaccinations shouldn't be allowed to cruise and spread the virus to others also not vaccinated. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a ship with them and I also don't think a rapid test is an alternative unless the testing is done every day of the cruise of those not vaccinated. However, I really don't like the rapid testing idea at all. DH and I are over 65 and live in FL. We got our first vaccine shot yesterday and the second will be on Feb. 1st. Our next cruise is on Holland in April, but we seriously doubt it will sail. Too soon with the slow vaccination distribution right now. We have high hopes for our Dec. 2021 Holland cruise, and Jan. Carnival and Feb. Holland 2022 cruises.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StevenLucia said:

Agree with many here that requiring vaccinations is the way to go.  Best for everyone.  Who knows though when a good roll-out of vaccinations is going to happen.  Got mine today but the wife isn't 65 yet so she will have to wait.  

And some of us are in states that have not prioritized those over 65.

I plan to get vaccinated as soon as made available to me. My wife received her first dose last week, so she'll be good by the time cruising re-starts for sure. I'm all for requiring vaccines, but where will that leave kids? There's no concrete timetable for those under 16.

I'm planning to book for the end of May, since by that timeframe I expect most adults who want the vaccine will have taken it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since children under 16 cannot be vaccinated they should not be allowed to cruise even if their parents are and vaccinations are required by the cruise lines. Will certainly eliminate a lot of cruisers, but safety first for those of us who are vaccinated. With an efficacy rate of 95% there is still that 5% chance of contracting Covid.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

Since children under 16 cannot be vaccinated they should not be allowed to cruise even if their parents are and vaccinations are required by the cruise lines. Will certainly eliminate a lot of cruisers, but safety first for those of us who are vaccinated. With an efficacy rate of 95% there is still that 5% chance of contracting Covid.

Could not agree more.  Initially eliminating families will make it much easier to achieve the reduced capacity % needed with the onset of cruising.

Vaccinations in some areas seem to be really kicking in.  My wife works as a therapist in a school system and got her vaccination last week.  She's considered a health care worker by our local health department.

My father is 76 and hasn't missed a day at his full time job (plus a lot of OT) working at Walmart this entire Covid ordeal.    He gets his shot on the 20th.    A little backwards in that priority but better than some places.  Don't ask why he works at his age.   He's a retired teacher and says he finds working there entertaining and it keeps him busy.

I too think cruise lines require a vaccination but I hope they don't.  Those that are elderly and/or have comorbidities will have every opportunity to get the vaccine.  Kids are far more at risk being in a vehicle accident death than from Covid.  Asymptomatic spread has also been shown to be very low.  Family vacations are important time and very valuable to me (and all my kids are no longer minors).

I know two families that lost people in auto accidents, one in a auto/bicycle accident, one heart attack.  Zero of them were over 60.  One suicide too, a young person.   One neighbor lost a brother to Covid.    Make sure you spend time with those you love.

Edited to add:  Our March 2021 cruise was canceled.  It was a cruise we booked in December of 2018 with another couple.  He joked when we booked it, "Oh I'll never make that, I'll be dead by then.".  He died in 2019.  I believe Carnival gave his widow a full refund despite the fact they had booked early saver.

Edited by fuddrules

This is all such a mess. We are in Missouri. Our county and several surrounding have not received any vaccine yet. While other counties in our state are moving on to Phase 2. So....my husband, a paramedic, our nurses & doctors have not had the opportunity to be vaccinated yet while some general population Joe Blow working at Quick Trip in Kansas City can be. You have to be vaccinated in the county you live, so can't go take a vaccine from another.

We don't have a hospital in our county. Our doctor won't see you if you have covid symptoms. You can't go to the hospital unless you meet specific criteria. My husband sits in the homes with covid patients sometimes for hours. Giving them breathing treatments and getting their oxygen levels back to an acceptable level. He really needs the vaccination. No estimated date yet when/if there will be any available here.

Our schools have been in person all year. No masks and only a few (less than 10) have been sick. Teachers are Phase 2. (I am a child care provider, so I am also phase 2).

I am leaning toward taking the vaccine, but only because I think it will be required to travel. All the studies & Pfizer & Mederna websites say it is not 100% effective.....you can still get it similar to the flu shot.....will still have to wear a mask......and may need to get it every year. I have never had a flu shot and I have never had the flu either. We always run out of vaccines where I live, so I figure someone elderly or immune compromised really needs it when I really don't.  I feel guilty taking the covid shot if it means someone else that needs it worse cannot. There is not enough for everyone.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:57 PM, StevenLucia said:

Agree with many here that requiring vaccinations is the way to go.  Best for everyone.  Who knows though when a good roll-out of vaccinations is going to happen.  Got mine today but the wife isn't 65 yet so she will have to wait.  

I was able to get my vaccine shot in Dec of 2020. Massachusetts govern Baker has prioritized Prisoners over persons 65 yrs old or people like my wife who work in a store dealing face to face with customers every day. We have a May cruise out of New Orleans this year i hope happens.

Vaccine priorities:

I, and many thousands of others have been participating in the Pfizer studies to develop this vaccine.

It is now available and everyone is pushing for priority to get it.  I have not received mine yet, so I'm left wondering about where I fit in to the priority scheme.  I'm sure there would be no vaccine if it were

not for the study participants but it appears that we are now relegated to the back of the line.

Does that make sense?  Or am I being unreasonable?