Vaccine Passports - Interesting T&L article

ninjacat123

14 minutes ago, stellarose said:

as a teacher I will get the vaccine soon.  I just want my adult children to get it too (18 and 20 years old). we have a year before we cruise. 

What state do you live in? We havent even gotten half of our doses they said we would get for nursing homes and first responders? Teachers are first responders?

I cheer the governor of Florida saying he will wait for seniors. My parents are 102 and 94 and in back of the 12 weeks they say nursing homes here will take. No offense but I think seniors should be first priority instead of much younger unless they have grave underlying conditions. My parents are told might be 12 weeks as they dont live in a nursing home, they still live in their own home. Cvs and Walgreens says it will take 12 weeks to go around to nursing homes here, and we are in back of them of course. 

Everyone is wanting to be first. Makes me sick to see politicians pushing to the front of the line. It would be a death sentence for my dad at 102 and a pacemaker and high blood pressure.

I already see way too much line cutting and wrong priority imo. Distribution is way too slow. Then I hear tarrant and Denton counties around me took some seniors, but dallas country isnt set up. So disorganized. The disorganization just seems to get worse. 

Yea for the governor of Florida. Letting seniors go first.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I already see way too much line cutting and wrong priority imo. Distribution is way too slow. Then I hear tarrant and Denton counties around me took some seniors, but dallas country isnt set up. So disorganized. The disorganization just seems to get worse. 

Do you know what age in Florida is considered a senior?  TIA!

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Do you know what age in Florida is considered a senior?  TIA!

There is a thread in the rcl on new strain where we are discussing getting the vaccine. Some are 65 are able to sign up online. They said the sign up seems to vary from county to county, same problem as texas is having. I'm ok with 65 and over, but personally want to see those 75 and over get in. 

Every county in florida and it seems texas is handling it different and some on the ball with online sign ups. Getting it out to people seems to be bottle necked. For some getting covid is a death sentence. My parents have only been out of their house a couple of times since last march but to get the vaccine, I'd urge them to go. My dad has been out twice ..doctors. ..though most doctors put off. Things like getting the battery checked on his pacemaker havent gotten done that are supposed to be checked every 6 months.

Go read thru that thread on rcl, some age 65 have been able to sign up in florida. Yea again for florida. They are doing most vulnerable first.

We used to carry a yellow booklet with records of vaccinations in our passports, and they were checked by officials when entering many countries. Polio, Cholera, MMR, and Yellow Fever were required in Europe and Africa, and most countries in South America. I don't know why Covid19 could not be accounted in a similar way. All the electronic versions are fine two, until the power goes off.

• Like 2

I’m in Wa. state and our teachers aren’t even back in class yet, so I guess the vaccines should be at the discretion of each state. I do agree that the elderly, such as Firefly’s parents should have priority over teachers who aren’t back in the classroom yet. I’m not sure how many states have allowed children back in class yet either.

My youngest daughter is a Paraeducator with Special Needs elementary kids, and she is supposed to report back on Jan 19h on a limited classroom schedule. The Special Needs kids will be the only ones going back, and they will still have the choice to return to class or distance learning. 
I’m almost 70 and retired, and rarely leave the house, except every couple of weeks for groceries. I’m willing to wait until the elderly or those out in the workplace get vaccinated. They are much more at risk than I am. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moviela said:

We used to carry a yellow booklet with records of vaccinations in our passports, and they were checked by officials when entering many countries. Polio, Cholera, MMR, and Yellow Fever were required in Europe and Africa, and most countries in South America. I don't know why Covid19 could not be accounted in a similar way. All the electronic versions are fine two, until the power goes off.

Rcl and ncl have already stated they have lawyers looking into if they can require vaccines to cruise...its coming. Some form of proof. One airline too is saying when it's available it will be required.

Carnival has been the most close mouthed on what they are planning of the big 3.

How many times has Real-ID implementation been delayed?  It is very hard to get widespread compliance with paperwork requirements like this.  I think Carnival is keeping quiet on this because they have the most to lose.  Thinking of the Carnival's target customers (we all know who they are), their customer base is the one that will be the most challenged by paperwork.  I don't know the stats but I suspect "people that cruise with birth certificate as proof of citizenship" is much higher on Carnival than the others.

Carnival is also the largest cruise operator, so a flat out 30% reduction in potential customer base due vaccine refusal hurts them the most. 

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I cheer the governor of Florida saying he will wait for seniors.

Depends on the narrative one is trying to push. Please understand that I'm not agreeing with you or against you.

One side of the narrative is exactly what you are saying. Let the politicians wait, inoculate others first.

On the other side, you're going to have those who say, obviously if my favorite politician doesn't trust the vaccine enough to take it, then I'm not taking it either.

I go with LEADERS have to set the example. Get the vaccine, not only for yourself but to show faith and trust in the system.

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Depends on the narrative one is trying to push. Please understand that I'm not agreeing with you or against you.

One side of the narrative is exactly what you are saying. Let the politicians wait, inoculate others first.

On the other side, you're going to have those who say, obviously if my favorite politician doesn't trust the vaccine enough to take it, then I'm not taking it either.

I go with LEADERS have to set the example. Get the vaccine, not only for yourself but to show faith and trust in the system.

How many leaders have to get it to convince you it's safe. After a few ok, for those who werent sure. Now 2 staffers of each congressman get it too. How does a 30 year old staffer of a politician say anything but me first to you? Sorry, I think enough politicians already.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How many leaders have to get it to convince you it's safe. After a few ok, for those who werent sure. Now 2 staffers of each congressman get it too. How does a 30 year old staffer of a politician say anything but me first to you? Sorry, I think enough politicians already.  

You're not wrong. I'm just saying that if you're in a leadership position, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You and I have just proven that point.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

You're not wrong. I'm just saying that if you're in a leadership position, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You and I have just proven that point.

One lady dont know if congress or house or whatever said she would wait until seniors get it. I give her props too.

My narrative is we have been living in fear with the age of my parents. Other counties around me gave to seniors, dallas my county decided to concentrate on first responders. Depends on their definition. I got a self important cousins kid who works as a boss at chewy, who I'd say get in line. Those most at risk first. Quite the selfish me first, and let's make those most at risk safe from this. 

Yes, I feel my parents live in fear. My dad doesnt hear well just reads rhe newspaper and they have him scared to death. If you are healthy and age 30, I think you should wait. I'll wait too. Maybe a age bracket above 75 maybe 85 and up first. 

But yes we can disagree, our lives and viewpoints are different. I dont think 2 staffers of a congressman getting it helps anyone but themselves. Selfish politicians.  And the way things are going the pfeizer and the other will be gone, just the iffy AstraZeneca left, so how does seeing a politician taking the best ones for themselves make me want to take a iffy one?

I got a brother in law not getting it he says. He heard about the side effects, no sense. So no amount of politicians getting a different vaccine will change his mind. Hes 82 with diabetes. So that means either will my sister. ..and I worry about them being around my folks. I guess I'm a worrier.

I think you also have to consider that the mandate may not come from the cruise lines but from some of the places they visit. You may have an island nation saying we can’t get off the boat at their port unless the passenger has the vaccine which is their right.  I believe there’s a few South American ports that require certain vaccinations. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Anything to get us back on the ships and able to throw these stupid masks away I'm all for.

If you think that masks are not going to be required once you get vaccinated , you're delusional.  They will be a social requirement well into 2022 and required on cruises even if you're vaccinated.   Until herd immunity kicks in and a high percentage of society is vaccinated you'll be required to wear masks on a cruise.  There will be social distancing  to a degree as well.  The cruise lines are going to be conservative with the comeback. There is too much at stake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today the governor of the State of Georgia included a anyone 65+ getting  the vaccine.  

Once we heard the announcement we immediately went to our health department website and scheduled appointments for this Saturday.

So thankful we were moved up in the rotation.....

• Like 2

So the twist on the vaccine passport idea. I’m a first responder. The information that we have received is they will officially have doses for us at the end of January. First doses are for EMS snd people treating Covid patients. But it’s being administered by the fire department. whenever they open a vial which contains several doses it has to be used within a few hours. So if they have doses about to go bad we can go down and get one. If I get the call that I can run down to the fire station to get a dose before it expires, not sure that I’ll have any proof of that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

We were also told it would take 2 years to even come up with a vaccine. Wrong.

Some states might suck at it but distribution is easy and will only get faster.

Why all the gloom and doom? 

Hey, I hope you are right, but so far the experience of getting the vaccine actually into arms has not gone well.

• Haha 1

My husband and son are law enforcement officers. My husband received his vaccine last week and was issued a card with the type of vaccine and the date the first dose was issued. He was told to keep the card in his wallet. My son is scheduled to get his next week. The vaccine's in our area are moving along. Medical staff, nursing homes, Emergency Medical Services/First responders will be completed over the next few weeks. I am sure there are places it is not moving as efficiently but I am sure there are others where it is. 

We are scheduled to cruise in July and really hope it actually happens!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tytanbri said:

My husband and son are law enforcement officers. My husband received his vaccine last week and was issued a card with the type of vaccine and the date the first dose was issued. He was told to keep the card in his wallet. My son is scheduled to get his next week. The vaccine's in our area are moving along. Medical staff, nursing homes, Emergency Medical Services/First responders will be completed over the next few weeks. I am sure there are places it is not moving as efficiently but I am sure there are others where it is. 

We are scheduled to cruise in July and really hope it actually happens!

Thank your husband and son for all they do.  Our first responders do not get the thanks they deserve. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you think that masks are not going to be required once you get vaccinated , you're delusional.  They will be a social requirement well into 2022 and required on cruises even if you're vaccinated.   Until herd immunity kicks in and a high percentage of society is vaccinated you'll be required to wear masks on a cruise.  There will be social distancing  to a degree as well.  The cruise lines are going to be conservative with the comeback. There is too much at stake.

20 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

2022?! Lol I'm gonna call BS on that one. Every reasonable expert says we will have the supply to vaccinate everyone in this country by mid summer. I plan on taking mine as soon as it's available.

99.98% survival rate for someone my age.

Vaccines with 95% effectiveness against contracting the virus.

I would be more likely to die driving my car to the cruise port once I'm vaccinated than from covid.

If you think I'm gonna be playing these mask and social distancing games at that point then you are the "delusional" one.

11 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

I hate to say it but she is probably correct.  I hate wearing a mask but I think it will be with us for a while.  I heard Biden say that it may take years to get everyone vaccinated and the slow start and disorganization I see in trying to get it rolled out, I believe it. 

If I'm honest I was on the fence about the vaccinations. They don't know what the long term effects will be, however at this point I think I will just go ahead and get it.  I would like everything to get back to normal as quickly as possible. 

Just my opinion for no one knows.

Thank you for supporting my point of view.  There are those at opposite ends of the debate that are either very conservative who don't believe cruising will be back until sometime late in 2022 and the extremely optimistic who think we'll be sailing in March of 2021.

The majority of posters are realistic and realize that cruising will be back sometime between the aforementioned dates, but with restrictions including masks, social distancing and reduced capacity,  even with vaccines.