Gluten free diet while on PCL

skidroe

My mum has celiac disease and has never had an issue. She does prefer traditional dining and she has also never had a problem when she has joined us for anytime dining.

She is also shown what is gluten free by one of the chefs when eating at the buffet.

Edited by sfkaren

I am medically diagnosed Coeliac (Americans say Celiac).  I cruised mostly with Princess and you need to advise them pre cruise re dietary requirement. There is provision on the booking page for this. Once on board your head waiter should seek you out in the MDR and will give you the dinner menu 24 hrs in advance for you to select, if you want to eat lunch in the MDR you also select your gf lunch, it will find you.  In the buffet, you will need to ask a chef/cook at the food stations or ask for one to speak with you. The people dispensing the food, don't have a lot of GF knowledge. In the Princess buffets the supervisor is often one of the head waiters from the MDR, they are good on dietary issues.

I have found they often have gf food not on display, because some people who don't really require gf food take it, thus diagnosed coeliacs miss out. So again ask, they can get it from the galley if you wait.

I have never had a problem getting GF food on Princess, don't be afraid to ask or you could suffer.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, skidroe said:

How difficult is having  gluten free meals on PCL ? Talk with the  Maitr'd or head waiter?

Not difficult at all.  

When booking, there is a special requirements area on the booking.   Fill that out before you cruise.  

When you go for your first dinner, ask the waiter to get the head waiter, and explain that you are celiac.   They will accommodate you very easily.   Each dinner you will receive the next evenings menu and you can basically have a choice of entrees made gluten free.   Alas the dessert choices are limited, but they will have something for you.  

You will find GF items in the International Cafe, and the buffet will have a GF station with choices.  For breakfast ask for the chef on duty and they will make sure you get GF food, they also have GF toast for you.   Stay away from the bacon as it is at times placed on bread to sop up the grease.

You will be well fed, and spoiled on the cruise!

Edited by Valiamo