Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

3 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

From my understanding, the detergent is included but I'll bring my own pods.

If they are like the Ocean ships they ask that you only use their detergent. It's formulated so that it can be handled by the ships sanitation system. 

• Like 3

On 12/10/2022 at 5:31 PM, Heidi13 said:

Having plates, cutlery thrown from the tables was all too common an occurrence on many of the World's oceans, when in heavy weather.

When it got really bad and the ship was rolling and pitching heavily, we stopped getting hot meals, as it wasn't safe in the galley. When off-watch we couldn't sleep on the bunks, placing the mattress on the deck and propping it up with lifejackets.

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'
"Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya"

--- Gordon Lightfoot

12 hours ago, minnow76 said:

Florida Flounder, do you remember what kind of luggage restrictions were on the charter flight? My husband and I are going on the 12/29/23 sailing of Octantis, and our itinerary shows Felix Airlines as the carrier. The only thing I've found about them online is that they are based in Yemen and they have a restriction of basically two carry-on size bags.

Any insight you can give would be helpful, as my husband loves to just take a big bag and throw whatever he feels like into it. Information from a source NOT me might actually sway him!

We're from the Tampa Bay area, so any tips to dwellers of heat and humidity would be welcome, too!

My daughter and I each had a checked bag and a carryon flying from Orlando to Buenos Aires. When we flew from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, they checked both bags for us with no extra fees and no restrictions.

You are going to have the trip of a lifetime! Have fun!! 😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, minnow76 said:

Another question for Antarctica passengers: what is the laundry situation? I see that there are self service launderettes onboard; is there special detergent to purchase onboard or should I bring something along? How easy or difficult is it to use those facilities? 

Thanks in advance for your insight!

No need to bring and or purchase detergent, Viking provides it. The step by step directions are posted on the wall with how to use the washers and dryers and it's fairly easy. If you've been on a Viking ocean cruise, it's the same type of amazing facility. And it's free!!! 🥳 

• Like 3

I tried to post this picture on the other social media's Viking Antarctic Expeditions group, but it was taken down because it was considered irrelevant to the group's purpose. We don't have such rigid rules. Enjoy.

This work was painted by my eight and half year-old granddaughter Lilah. She said it represents Antarctica "with Northern Lights." I call it the picture "Southern Lights." I have Lilah's permission to share it.

Southern Lighs.jpg

Edited by emileg
  • Like 14

46 minutes ago, emileg said:

I tried to post this picture on the other social media's Viking Antarctic Expeditions group, but it was taken down because it was considered irrelevant to the group's purpose. We don't have such rigid rules. Enjoy.

This work was painted by my eight and half year-old granddaughter Lilah. She said it represents Antarctica "with Northern Lights." I call it the picture "Southern Lights." I have Lilah's permission to share it.

Southern Lighs.jpg

Oh yeah, I've had posts taken down as well. It's a badge of honor.

I'm going to start a rumor that if you get 50 posts taken down in that community, Viking gives you a private zodiac ride for your travel party. Some of those people don't have a sense of humor!

• Like 3

My wife and I will be on the upcoming Antarctica voyage, and posted a Roll Call.

(Viking Octantis - Antarctic Explorer: November 15, 2023).

Our current question is whether long underwear plus the provided "VIKING ESSENTIALS ANTARCTICA PACKAGE" (Expedition jacket, insulator layer, waterproof pants, and boots) is sufficient, and whether the additional "Expedition Stretch Package" is actually recommended or really unnecessary?  (it is offered to either buy or rent).

The description says:

A "must have" for cold weather layering. Wear as a base layer in cold climates. For very cold climates this is a perfect insulation layer (wear over your baselayer and under your waterproofs).

Are they just trying to rent or sell unnecessary gear?

10 hours ago, sbp59 said:

My wife and I will be on the upcoming Antarctica voyage, and posted a Roll Call.

(Viking Octantis - Antarctic Explorer: November 15, 2023).

Our current question is whether long underwear plus the provided "VIKING ESSENTIALS ANTARCTICA PACKAGE" (Expedition jacket, insulator layer, waterproof pants, and boots) is sufficient, and whether the additional "Expedition Stretch Package" is actually recommended or really unnecessary?  (it is offered to either buy or rent).

The description says:

A "must have" for cold weather layering. Wear as a base layer in cold climates. For very cold climates this is a perfect insulation layer (wear over your baselayer and under your waterproofs).

Are they just trying to rent or sell unnecessary gear?

We wore leggings (long underwear) under the Viking provided pants and a long sleeved t-shirt under our Viking jacket. We were never cold but actually hot and sweaty when we were hiking. No need to rent or purchase anything extra. Have fun!!😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 11:53 PM, EN_L2Cruise said:

Hi All,  Big Fans of Viking Ocean and have a question for anyone who has stayed in a Nordic Jr Suite.  It looks like most of the (NS) cabins are either under the World Cafe, Mamsens or Right next to the Explorers Lounge.  Oh and also under the jogging track on deck 5   Has there been any issues with Noise coming from either above or for those next to the lounge through the wall.  I am hoping the answer is no and it is well insulated, but wanted to hear from someone who has actually stayed in the cabins.  

Thanks 

We just got off the Polaris and were in a NS, #4022.  It is right under the walking/jogging track.  It was no problem with walkers but almost every morning there was a woman running up there.   Sounded like “boom boom boom boom boom” whenever she was over our stateroom.  There was definitely NO sleeping past 6:15 or whatever time she started!

1 hour ago, sundaycreek said:

We just got off the Polaris and were in a NS, #4022.  It is right under the walking/jogging track.  It was no problem with walkers but almost every morning there was a woman running up there.   Sounded like “boom boom boom boom boom” whenever she was over our stateroom.  There was definitely NO sleeping past 6:15 or whatever time she started!

Thanks for the feedback, I hope you have given viking your feedback. It seems like something they should be able to correct or at least fix on their next ship. 

2 hours ago, sundaycreek said:

That’s unfortunate. I thought Viking had restrictions on running too early in the morning.  We were on a cruise that someone ignored the allowed running times.  After several complaints, the PD mentioned the problem at a port talk and said a crew member would be waiting for the person the next morning.  Everyone laughed and clapped.  No runner after that! LOL

• Like 4

Thanks to "FLORIDA FLOUNDER" for answering my earlier question and recommending that an extra mid insulation layer of clothing is probably not necessary.

BTW, someone on this board recently mentioned "the other social media's Viking Antarctic Expeditions group", which I joined and asked my question there.  I just want to share that it appears to be a very active group with friendly members, since I received several useful answers within the first hour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sbp59 said:

Thanks to "FLORIDA FLOUNDER" for answering my earlier question and recommending that an extra mid insulation layer of clothing is probably not necessary.

BTW, someone on this board recently mentioned "the other social media's Viking Antarctic Expeditions group", which I joined and asked my question there.  I just want to share that it appears to be a very active group with friendly members, since I received several useful answers within the first hour.

They compliment CC well though this community is much more loose with acceptable content. That group, you post outside of their rules it'll be gone in a new York minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mike07 said:

They compliment CC well though this community is much more loose with acceptable content. That group, you post outside of their rules it'll be gone in a new York minute.

That's true. I posted some information at the other place regarding the bird flu on South Georgia Island and its effects on expedition landings. While not removed, it was turned off for comments, as they don't permit speculation. In my next post, I am re-posting here what I posted there.

• Like 1

I copied this post from another social media site's Antarctic Photography Group. From Oceanwide Expeditions: As of October 26, South Georgia authorities have received reports of bird flu cases at Hound Bay. Due to its proximity to our usual landing sites at St. Andrews Bay and Ocean Harbour, these sites are temporarily closed for further testing. As of October 30, South Georgia authorities have also temporarily closed all of Royal Bay to landings pending further investigation.

This announcement is from another expedition company, but I imagine Viking will have to follow similar rules.

https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/page/bird-flu-safety-protocols?fbclid=IwAR0U0XwUeTuDbb2-iye_bDG2qiClZJod-Otv9xKW47814_ciyLJ6szF5cAU

17 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Just don't disagree with current admins as they are quick to ban you from 'their' FB Group.  Seen several 'banning' for minor comments and many posts removed as others have commented.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

I got permanently banned for asking a question about clothing. The person who is the "watchdog" is a very nasty person if she doesn't like your question or comment!

Agree, original admin was much better and allowed interact.  Current admins just close and remove a lot of stuff that isn't against any FB Group rules, just because 'admin' said so.  Just very sad admins are so limiting of that FB Group.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Agree, original admin was much better and allowed interact.  Current admins just close and remove a lot of stuff that isn't against any FB Group rules, just because 'admin' said so.  Just very sad admins are so limiting of that FB Group.

I’ve never understood why those FB admins choose to turn off comments.  They say it’s because it’s “asked and answered.”  I thought the idea was to allow anyone to share their experience and thoughts.  They will also scold people for asking questions that have already been posted.  Who wants to go through a thousand posts? (Yes, I know how to use the search function but things have changed from one expedition season to another.)  I’ll stop ranting now LOL

Edited by Ktwofish
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ktwofish said:

I’ve never understood why those FB admins choose to turn off comments.  They say it’s because it’s “asked and answered.”  I thought the idea was to allow anyone to share their experience and thoughts.  They will also scold people for asking questions that have already been posted.  Who wants to go through a thousand posts? (Yes, I know how to use the search function but things have changed from one expedition season to another.)  I’ll stop ranting now LOL

It appears that current admins have a LOT of time on their hands and nothing better to do than act as traffic crossing guards.

• Like 3

Hello I just booked the Octantis for April10 2024 for the Canada and Atlantic Ocean.. not so adventurous as you who were on the polar expeditions.. Wondering if anyone had any experience with this or similar Itinerary.. Also have a question on if you are able to book more than one of the small boats experiences.. it seems to be offered on a couple of ports.. but since space is so limited ( certainly they can't accommodate the whole ship). is it hard to reserve.. and do you get to do this on the ship.. also if you only could choose one . which would you choose( this itinerary doesn't have submarines.. but the other 3 choices are available.)

• Like 1

How much cash should we bring?

My wife and I are nearing the start of our Nov. 15, 2023 Antarctic Explorer trip on the Octantis.  Since there are no port dockings on this voyage, there are only the one day in Buenos Aires (between flights), and the two partial days in Ushuaia.  For the 11 days on board, I assume most expenses are charged to our account or are conveniently paid by credit card.   So how much cash makes sense to bring on a trip like this?  In particular, for the day in Buenos Aires?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sbp59 said:

My wife and I are nearing the start of our Nov. 15, 2023 Antarctic Explorer trip on the Octantis.  Since there are no port dockings on this voyage, there are only the one day in Buenos Aires (between flights), and the two partial days in Ushuaia.  For the 11 days on board, I assume most expenses are charged to our account or are conveniently paid by credit card.   So how much cash makes sense to bring on a trip like this?  In particular, for the day in Buenos Aires?

We did this cruise and the post extension to Patagonia (Argentina/Chile) in Feb 2023.  You really don't need cash as credit cards are readily accepted.  We have a MC that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees so used that exclusively for coffee, dinner and souvenirs.  We had about $100 in pesos but ended up using it to tip the guide at the end of the extension.  Wonderful cruise, have fun!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 6:36 PM, sbp59 said:

I would suggest that if you tip the crew above and beyond the prepaid gratuities, you will need cash for that. Because of the extremely high inflation rate in Argentina, use either U.S. dollars or a credit card. I would not bother with pesos at this time. I would probably take about $500 with us, whether we use it or not.

Have a wonderful expedition and safe travels.