Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

3 hours ago, maren91 said:

Hi All- Huge thread and tried to go through it but I apologize if I missed this. Looking at Viking Polaris and wondering if they allow for a polar plunge and if they have any sort of arctic crossing ceremony? Thanks!

They apparently do it in the pools onboard. You don't actually jump in the ocean water like other lines might.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike07 said:

They apparently do it in the pools onboard. You don't actually jump in the ocean water like other lines might.

That’s correct.  On the Viking ocean ships the crossing/Blue Nose celebration is conducted in the main pool area.  On Viking expedition ships there is a series of plunge pools that are used.  Lots of participation, lots of fun.  Bonus is a shot of akvavit at the end!

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:06 AM, Frenchberet said:

Bonus is a shot of akvavit at the end!

LOL..that was a truly humorous event to watch during our Northern Lights cruise. Didn't participate but enjoyed seeing some of it.

On 11/28/2023 at 4:19 AM, Mike07 said:

They apparently do it in the pools onboard.

They filled up the hot tub with tons of ice. I think you had to completely submerge.

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL..that was a truly humorous event to watch during our Northern Lights cruise. Didn't participate but enjoyed seeing some of it.

They filled up the hot tub with tons of ice. I think you had to completely submerge.

Not necessary to go down totally.  Most do but some just went down enough to cover their shoulders. Other idiots actually dove in scaring the medical staff who were monitoring things. 

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Not necessary to go down totally.  Most do but some just went down enough to cover their shoulders. Other idiots actually dove in scaring the medical staff who were monitoring things. 

The ship’s doctor was standing by with a defibrillator…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have antarctica cruise coming this month. I just check the insurance requirement for medical emergency evacuation which has minimum $250k requirement. I have the coverage only up to 100k, does Viking actually check the coverage or do I need to purchase more coverage. Thanks

12 minutes ago, puffy said:

We have antarctica cruise coming this month. I just check the insurance requirement for medical emergency evacuation which has minimum $250k requirement. I have the coverage only up to 100k, does Viking actually check the coverage or do I need to purchase more coverage. Thanks

I don't think Viking cares if you even have insurance. Viking isn't going to be paying the medical evacuation bill.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

They require you to submit the insurance information when you fill in guest information form. They probably do not really check the coverage limit. Does anyone purchase the antarctica cruise with insurance which cover 250k medical evacuation fee ? 

4 hours ago, puffy said:

They require you to submit the insurance information when you fill in guest information form. They probably do not really check the coverage limit. Does anyone purchase the antarctica cruise with insurance which cover 250k medical evacuation fee ? 

Again, I don't think you have to have insurance to go.

Fill out the medical questionnaire your physician signs. Isn't their a waiver you attest to that if you are injured and require evacuation and don't have insurance, you're on your own and won't hold Viking responsible?

Edited by Mike07

4 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Again, I don't think you have to have insurance to go.

Fill out the medical questionnaire your physician signs. Isn't their a waiver you attest to that if you are injured and require evacuation and don't have insurance, you're on your own and won't hold Viking responsible?

From Viking's FAQ: In order to participate in a Viking Expeditions journey to the Arctic or Antarctica, each guest must have Medical Evacuation Insurance coverage for a minimum of $250,000. 

For a trip of this nature, I would not be ignoring a condition set by the cruise line. It might work out fine - conversely it might be embarrassing to wind up waving to the ship from the pier in Ushuaia if you were denied boarding.

I don't think "but I read it was OK on CC" would be an acceptable excuse. 🍺🥌

8 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

From Viking's FAQ: In order to participate in a Viking Expeditions journey to the Arctic or Antarctica, each guest must have Medical Evacuation Insurance coverage for a minimum of $250,000. 

For a trip of this nature, I would not be ignoring a condition set by the cruise line. It might work out fine - conversely it might be embarrassing to wind up waving to the ship from the pier in Ushuaia if you were denied boarding.

I don't think "but I read it was OK on CC" would be an acceptable excuse. 🍺🥌

Page two of the medical questionnaire that passengers have physicians sign.

In declining the purchase of a Travel Protection Plan/travel insurance, I agree not to hold Viking Ocean Cruises
Ltd., Viking Expeditions Ltd., or any of their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, or contractors responsible for
any additional expenses/losses incurred resulting from my cancellation of this trip, accident, sickness, medical
evacuation, lost or damaged baggage, or any other contingency that would have been covered by the insurance
protection offered. I agree to reimburse any expenses paid on my behalf by Viking Ocean Cruises, Ltd., Viking
Expeditions, Ltd., or any of their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees or contractors who expend funds for any
contingency which would have been covered by the insurance protection offered and acknowledge that no
such expenditure is required. I understand that the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed, and
emergency medical evacuation will not be possible from every location to which the ship sails. All health, medical
or other personal services in connection with the cruise tour are provided solely for my convenience and benefit
and I acknowledge I will be charged for such services.

Edited by Mike07

We're taking the Explorer-class Octanis from Santiago Chile to Ft. Lauderdale next March 2024.

I didn't catch on that this was a new, smaller specialized vessel until recently; the price seemed pretty typical relative to our other Viking ocean trips.

It seems to me this is a repositioning trip from their Antarctic season to their Great Lakes season. What does an ice exploration ship offer for a trip up the coast of South America? Do they even use the equipment like the subs and the expedition vehicles? I suppose no boots and parkas.

Is the entertainment paltry? No shows or bands? Is it hard to get reservations to the specialty restaurants since they don't have a main dining room? I like the science stuff but we're not really exploring anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Page two of the medical questionnaire that passengers have physicians sign.

In declining the purchase of a Travel Protection Plan/travel insurance, I agree not to hold Viking Ocean Cruises
Ltd., Viking Expeditions Ltd., or any of their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, or contractors responsible for
any additional expenses/losses incurred resulting from my cancellation of this trip, accident, sickness, medical
evacuation, lost or damaged baggage, or any other contingency that would have been covered by the insurance
protection offered. I agree to reimburse any expenses paid on my behalf by Viking Ocean Cruises, Ltd., Viking
Expeditions, Ltd., or any of their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees or contractors who expend funds for any
contingency which would have been covered by the insurance protection offered and acknowledge that no
such expenditure is required. I understand that the availability of medical care may be limited or delayed, and
emergency medical evacuation will not be possible from every location to which the ship sails. All health, medical
or other personal services in connection with the cruise tour are provided solely for my convenience and benefit
and I acknowledge I will be charged for such services.

I'm familiar with the waiver document. If you are comfortable that your interpretation of the waiver negates your requirement to comply with Viking's requirement for evac insurance, no problem. Your money, your choice.

My point was that I consider it high risk to willfully ignore a cruise line's stated requirement and I would refrain from suggesting that it can be ignored. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Boag said:

We're taking the Explorer-class Octanis from Santiago Chile to Ft. Lauderdale next March 2024.

I didn't catch on that this was a new, smaller specialized vessel until recently; the price seemed pretty typical relative to our other Viking ocean trips.

It seems to me this is a repositioning trip from their Antarctic season to their Great Lakes season. What does an ice exploration ship offer for a trip up the coast of South America? Do they even use the equipment like the subs and the expedition vehicles? I suppose no boots and parkas.

Is the entertainment paltry? No shows or bands? Is it hard to get reservations to the specialty restaurants since they don't have a main dining room? I like the science stuff but we're not really exploring anything.

Some of your questions can only be answered by Viking.  It likely is a repositioning cruise.  Do they use the subs, zodiacs, and special ops boats?  Boots and parkas?  Probably not but you’d need to check with Viking.  

We did the Antarctic Explorer cruise on Octantis (Feb 2023).  The expedition ships are beautiful.  They are designed and decorated much like the Viking ocean ships but on a smaller scale.  Entertainment is limited to performers in the Living Room Bar and Explorer’s Lounge.  It consists of a classical duo (violin, cello), a pianist, and guitar player.  There are also lectures in the Aula.  Dining choices include the Main Dining Room, Manfredi’s, Mamsen’s, and the World Cafe.  No problem making reservations for the MDR or Manfredi’s, just use the app.  The World Cafe is huge and the choices are amazing.  The Grill is part of the WC and you can get made-to-order steaks and burgers.  There is also a large sushi area.  We do not normally eat dinner in the WC on ocean ships but happily ate there on the expedition ship!  There is also room service with a full menu. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I'm familiar with the waiver document. If you are comfortable that your interpretation of the waiver negates your requirement to comply with Viking's requirement for evac insurance, no problem. Your money, your choice.

My point was that I consider it high risk to willfully ignore a cruise line's stated requirement and I would refrain from suggesting that it can be ignored. 🍺🥌

Never did I say anything you attributed to me in the first paragraph. Somebody is asking about policy limits and I'm copying and pasting what Viking's lawyers have agreed to have participants without insurance sign.

Me being gracious with you --- I am not and I have never been the one concerned with policy limits and what Viking desires versus what I have. Am I right?

Go tell the person that is concerned what policy limits you would recommend, because I'm personally sufficiently covered in at least three ways.

Edited by Mike07

18 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

In order to participate in a Viking Expeditions journey to the Arctic or Antarctica, each guest must have Medical Evacuation Insurance coverage for a minimum of $250,000. 

I agree with this policy. 250k should be more than enough, at least based on what I'm reading. I'd never go down there without medical evac coverage. For that matter, I never cruise without trip insurance coverage that includes it.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I always have the medical emergency insurance, and in fact just renewed my policy again.  Then I find out the coverage drops dramatically when you hit age 70.  DH is now over 70, but I am still within the full coverage time.  

I guess I need to find another policy again.  😞 

I actually change my policy to family annual trip policy  which has 500k medical evacuation per individual per trip. When we went to Asia trip this pass March and my husband had allergic reaction with some food and end up in ER. The hopsital fee is so cheap and insurance reimburse us right away even with foreigner language on the bill. We travel extensively overseas, so higher coverage may serve us . We are doing count down to next Wed Antarctica trip which is my bucket list.😁 I will post how the trip going.

• Like 2