Cabin category advice

Jacqueline

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t disagree with you about the little table. We solved that by following the advice of a YouTuber-Jim Zim.  If you rearrange the chairs so the are 90° to each other there is room between/behind them in the corner for the table.  It really opens up the floor space.

I do the same. Really makes a difference.

• Like 1

We have done Viking river but are looking at Viking ocean.  What I found inadequate on the smaller cabins on the river is the lack of storage.  If I’m going for more then a week it really is an issues.  Yes we pack too much but I hate doing laundry on a trip. We enjoy dressing for dinner, not fancy but a dress and collared shirt.  Even using space bags things were really stacked up on shelves.  I understand the design but 3 drawers is ridiculous.  On the river the closet for hanging was tiny for 2 weeks and we needed to smash all our clothes in to fit.  I see the closet on ocean are bigger but no shelves.I may need to keep open suitcases under the bed and pull out like drawers if we go with V/DV.  

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We have done Viking river but are looking at Viking ocean.  What I found inadequate on the smaller cabins on the river is the lack of storage.  If I’m going for more then a week it really is an issues.  Yes we pack too much but I hate doing laundry on a trip. We enjoy dressing for dinner, not fancy but a dress and collared shirt.  Even using space bags things were really stacked up on shelves.  I understand the design but 3 drawers is ridiculous.  On the river the closet for hanging was tiny for 2 weeks and we needed to smash all our clothes in to fit.  I see the closet on ocean are bigger but no shelves.I may need to keep open suitcases under the bed and pull out like drawers if we go with V/DV.  

There is a shelf along the top of the closets. We have found there is plenty of storage space for us when we traveled with 12 days of clothing for each of us. We did have to use the bedside tables for sox and underwear storage and we each left a few hanging garments in our suitcase of our hanging clothes until we had worn some items and frees up space in the closet. 

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

In V & DV Cabins, starting with Viking Sun, all ships have 3 drawers in the closet, in addition to the drawers outside the bathroom.

31 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In V & DV Cabins, starting with Viking Sun, all ships have 3 drawers in the closet, in addition to the drawers outside the bathroom.

For the newbies, let me be more specific: The first three ships built, Star, Sea and Sky do not have drawers in the V/DV closet but they do have 5 feet of hanging space and your steward will bring you as many hangers as you want.  There is also five feet of shelf space in the closet plus two more shelves (three if you ask the steward to remove the coffee maker) above the drawers by the bathroom. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

I remember seeing a list of staterooms to avoid (due to noise, potential broken windows, etc.) in this forum. Do you how I can find that list again?

Broken windows - most susceptible cabins are the 2 fwd suites on deck 3 (3000 & 3001). Deck 4 fwd suites are more remote possibility, but Deck 5 suites should be safe. if the weather was that bad, the ship would have other issues.

Noise - Deck 3 fwd from the Theatre. Deck 3 fwd of the Atrium from Torshavn.

Potential Noise:

• Deck 4 - m'ships above the lifeboats
  • Deck 6 - all cabins with open deck above
  • Deck 8 - cabins with sports deck above  
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Broken windows - most susceptible cabins are the 2 fwd suites on deck 3 (3000 & 3001). Deck 4 fwd suites are more remote possibility, but Deck 5 suites should be safe. if the weather was that bad, the ship would have other issues.

Noise - Deck 3 fwd from the Theatre. Deck 3 fwd of the Atrium from Torshavn.

Potential Noise:

• Deck 4 - m'ships above the lifeboats
  • Deck 6 - all cabins with open deck above
  • Deck 8 - cabins with sports deck above  

Thanks.  I book V1 as the fare fits my budget. I stayed in 3022 twice and had no problem. There’s some noise from the theatre, but not unbearable. The noise usually stops at around 10pm anyway, which is earlier than my bedtime. 

I just rebooked my Alaska sailing to Jun 2022 and needed to change my stateroom from 3023 to 3017. I wonder if there’s any issue with 3017 that I should be aware of. Its location is even a bit closer to the theatre. So is the noise be louder? 

2 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Thanks.  I book V1 as the fare fits my budget. I stayed in 3022 twice and had no problem. There’s some noise from the theatre, but not unbearable. The noise usually stops at around 10pm anyway, which is earlier than my bedtime. 

I just rebooked my Alaska sailing to Jun 2022 and needed to change my stateroom from 3023 to 3017. I wonder if there’s any issue with 3017 that I should be aware of. Its location is even a bit closer to the theatre. So is the noise be louder? 

Sorry, but can't help with specific V1 cabins, as we normally book a DV4. Hopefully other can assist. 

16 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

We have sailed in 3008 which is even closer to the theater and no real issues.  We were usually either in the Theatre or elsewhere around the ship so the shows were never an issue for us. There was one afternoon where I went to take a nap and could hear the rehearsal going on. Otherwise, the only other thing we found bothersome was the “chirping” of the birds from the toilets below!   LOL

oh, and the sound of the anchor chain banging when we hs some significant wave action.  I think the folks in the suite at the bow must of complained also, as it didn’t last very long so they must of made some adjustments. 

We loved being closer to the ocean-it was great to sleep with our balcony door open ans hear the sound of the bow wake. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been on 4 Viking Cruises - we were on the first one Star.  On the first trip, i decided to upgrade to the Pv and was very glad we did and then since always booked the PV.  We like a little room and couch provided that.  On a couple of trips my husband started coming down with a cold and I slept on the couch. You do get an early choice of times for excursions and little amenities but the space really suited us best because you got a dresser and it helped me stay neat with everything put away. If we had to be confined to those quarters for a time (pandemic) I would have been very grateful for the extra room.  We sat on our veranda every night and we did everything on the ship.  We also ordered breakfast in the room on excursion days and it saved a lot of time and hassle.  We love Viking and the treatment and the whole ambience and made very nice friends from our trips.  Everything was well organized.  There are always glitches with things but they fixed them quickly.  The World Cafe has great food and often a lot of what is being served in the dining room.  Yes the dining dinner can be a long one.  We love Manfredi's.  Enjoy your travels

• Like 1