Cruise/Trip Insurance

rabin1

Hello

I have a two part question.

1, Is it best to buy the cruise line insurance?

2. If not the cruise line insurance which is the best policy for the best price?

Thank you in advance

Kathy

We've NEVER purchased any travel insurance offered by an individual carrier. 

Always go with third party. Our go to agent is:

www.tripinsurancestore.com

Steve Dasseos is the head guy there. He always does good by us. 

Before we became Elite cruisers and pre-COVID, I would rely on insurance available through the credit card that I used to pay for the cruise (There are many available.) or bought insurance through insuremy trip.com.

Post COVID, I recommend buying P's insurance until we see how things go.

Regardless, get insurance!

Edited by patrickmoran

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, rabin1 said:

Hello

I have a two part question.

1, Is it best to buy the cruise line insurance?

2. If not the cruise line insurance which is the best policy for the best price?

Thank you in advance

Kathy

Question 1. Maybe/Maybe not

Question 2. The "best" policy is the policy that covers what concerns you most at the price you're willing to pay.

Sometimes self insure is the way to.

Sometimes some coverage along with some self insure is the way to go

Sometimes, a full blown policy is the way to go. And then, they may not cover what you need.

• Like 2

I would trumpet what has been posted by Klfrodo.   There is no one answer fits all with this issue.  Each person/family needs to assess their own situation, risk tolerance, financial situation, etc.  That being said I always emphasize that everyone should make sure they have adequate medical insurance that covers them when on a cruise or any trip...anywhere!   And I would add to Klfrodo's post that the best solution can sometimes be a combination of options.  For example, you might need to buy some kind of travel medical policy but are able and willing to self-insure the cancellation risk.  For others, they already have good medical coverage so may only need to look at some kind of cancellation protection and perhaps a medical evacuation policy.

For those that do not feel capable of handling this issue on their ownwe strongly urge them to contact a travel insurance broker (brokers handle multiple policies from multiple companies) such as Steve Dasseos (tripinsurancestore.com) who is often featured here on CC.  If you do feel comfortable with the decision making you also have the option to look at some online sites that feature multiple insurance options (i.e. insuremytrip.com; squaremouth.com; etc).

One final head-up.  Many travel medical policies do NOT cover medical bills/evacuation that result from a Pandemic such as COVID19.  I strongly believe that everyone should have coverage that INCLUDES situations related to COVID.  So be sure to carefully read any policy as it related to pandemics and/or COVID.

Hank

• Like 1