Rhine water levels 2021 and similar topics

notamermaid

It has been another weird week along the Rhine for obvious reasons. But there have been other events and incidents, too.

In Cologne another WWII bomb was found, this time in the suburb Neu-Ehrenfeld. It was defused earlier today and life is returning to normal in that area.

In Emmerich the landing stage belonging to the town administration has been hit by a ship - again. I has happened so often now over the years that it may have to be moved. The Viking landing stage is not affected by all this.

River cruise ships are still sailing up and down the Rhine, it looks still quite busy, despite the overall situation. They look lovely lit up in the dark and I even saw (in daylight) an excursion boat with a Christmas tree on its bow, looked a bit like a figurehead!

And, it has been snowing in the surrounding hills! The valley itself has mostly been just a little too warm for it.

The water levels are fine, Kaub went up a lot, to a good bit over statistical mean level, but has gone down again in the last two days. It is now at 204cm, which should be plenty to see the river through a dry period next week and I dare say keep it out of official low for the rest of the year. I am pretty confident about that.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 11:00 PM, notamermaid said:

It is now at 204cm, which should be plenty to see the river through a dry period next week and I dare say keep it out of official low for the rest of the year. I am pretty confident about that.

Well, it has indeed been good. Let us have a last look at the river levels for this year. This is Kaub in the last 31 days:

image.png.3fa486d01c50150bd905f97d73484482.png

During the dry period in December the level fell steadily but did not reach official low water again. It has been raining again, quite a lot in fact, so Kaub was quick to rise and upstream in the Upper Rhine valley at Maxau we see the level rising to what could be a figure that leads to slow traffic - a safety measure at high water levels - and even official flooding status on 31 December. But that would not impact cruising much yet (apart from somewhat slightly slower sailing).

The rainy days are not forecast to last long so going into the new Year, i.e. in the first week in January, the levels should fall again a little.

notamermaid

On 11/19/2021 at 12:03 AM, notamermaid said:

And what does one do on an afternoon at a café/restaurant in such a setting in Germany? Have coffee and cake! Hmm, not quite this time for us as there was something on the menu that appealed to us. More on that in a next post.

A long overdue return to my day trip report.

Lahneck castle part 3

Coffee and cake is a staple food during afternoons and one could almost call it a German ritual on Sunday afternoons - day trip with stop at a café. Instead, I settled on coffee and waffles! There are several variations on the restaurant menu with cherry plus cream being a favourite choice for many but I like my waffles plain with a dusting of icing sugar:

IMG_20210829_170213.thumb.jpg.6313cbcecd0e0c867cdff29ca93723d6.jpg

It was very tasty.

Time to head back to the car, with a look at the castle tower that looks like Rapunzel or another fairy tale character could live in it and the intention to return and visit the castle proper:

IMG_20210829_171413.thumb.jpg.4224cff562db768e9b8f15b913204813.jpg

If you feel like taking a longer route, here are the choices according to the hiking sign post:

IMG_20210829_171622.thumb.jpg.6f1df62557b64c0c358cf1e4a0938744.jpg

Notice the scallop? It indicates that this is also part of a route of a Way of St James.

This was an unspectacular, but really enjoyable trip to a lesser visited castle, which for me adds to the appeal and if it is offered to you as an excursion on your river cruise I would say: go there! :classic_smile:

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

IMG_20210829_171622.thumb.jpg.6f1df62557b64c0c358cf1e4a0938744.jpg

Notice the scallop? It indicates that this is also part of a route of a Way of St James.

How far is Santiago de Compostela from there???  I know that it's 500 miles from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and about 1,000 miles from Paris.  This must be much further!

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Coffee and cake is a staple food during afternoons and one could almost call it a German ritual on Sunday afternoons - day trip with stop at a café. Instead, I settled on coffee and waffles! There are several variations on the restaurant menu with cherry plus cream being a favourite choice for many but I like my waffles plain with a dusting of icing sugar:

IMG_20210829_170213.thumb.jpg.6313cbcecd0e0c867cdff29ca93723d6.jpg

It was very tasty.

I like my waffles with chocolate. I had some very tasty ones off the central square in Antwerp at the beginning of my Tulips and Windmills cruise in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 1:18 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

How far is Santiago de Compostela from there???  I know that it's 500 miles from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and about 1,000 miles from Paris.  This must be much further!

It is a long way. The direct route according to google maps is almost 1,900km, but I suspect the real pilgrimage paths make it a bit longer. However, the path around Lahnstein is not an original part of it. It was established in 2001, based on research and general conception that this is near where an original path coming from Wetzlar on the Lahn river may have been. It would have connected to another route leading along the Rhine. Here is a description with map in German: http://www.lahn-rhein-camino.de/

Note that the word camino - Spanish for road or path - is often used in German in that context.

One of the remnants of the Medieval Pilgrimage route buildings is the chapel of the hospital in which pilgrims where helped. It is the Hospitalkapelle Oberlahnstein (Lahnstein has an Upper and a Lower part): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospitalkapelle_St._Jakobus_(Oberlahnstein)#/media/Datei:Lahnstein_Hospitalkapelle.JPG

We call St. James Sankt Jakobus.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...