Northern Lights which cruise?

1 hour ago, teabear said:

Booking a cruise that visits Iceland is the best option in Europe - its a lovely journey with stops in the Faroe Islands and Orkney etc -  but - actually seeing the lights is pure luck - I went a few years ago in February on the now defunct CMV  Magellan -  my twin 80 yr old aunties went off up a mountain late at night - freezing cold - fogged in - I stayed on the ship and the harbour was frosty and clear and the lights - green, purple, reds even - absolutely amazing

I what to see them in the fall .

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I what to see them in the fall .

Seeing aurora in the fall is pretty much of a crap shoot.  However, going north and picking a spot that tends to be clear instead of cloudy increases your odds a bit.  Bottom line as I have said fall and being in aurora for just 1 night gives you only a slight chance of seeing aurora.  Another point to consider is where on the sun spot cycle you are for the year.  The more active the sun is, the greater the odds of seeing them.  Right now we are emerging from a solar minimum with the solar maximum expected to be around 2025.

Bet you did not think that seeing aurora was so complicated.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

19 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

for just 1 night gives you only a slight chance of seeing aurora. 

With Hurtigruten Coastal voyage return from Bergen to Kirkenes or expedition Cruise from Dover, you are within the Arctic Circle for five or six nights, which gives really good chances of seeing the northern lights if the sky is clear - September and March have the most intense northern lights while January to March has the best chances of a sky without too many clouds - there is a chance of northern lights every night, but the intensity varies.  As mentioned, solar activity is increasing until 2025.

19 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The more active the sun is, the greater the odds of seeing them.  Right now we are emerging from a solar minimum with the solar maximum expected to be around 2025.

Bet you did not think that seeing aurora was so complicated.

DON

We're hoping to experience our first ever aurora in early September at Honningsvag on a Norway fjords Cruise