Is there any benefit with using a travel agent?

baldilocks

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

When I was much younger, and me and my ex started travelling, though it was not frequent, we did use a TA.  Generally had very good results, but the trips we were taking were kind of easy peasy, they did do a good job for us!  The past 15 years or so, I take much more inclusive trips, both land and cruise, generally one of each per year.  I very much enjoy planning on my own.  It helps me build up to the excitement of the journey.  This is not in any way to take away from the value others feel about working with a TA, it just works for me.  

Yes, a lot of seasoned travellers do the planning themselves, then turn to a TA or directly to the companies to make their bookings. I don't see that changing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

When I was much younger, and me and my ex started travelling, though it was not frequent, we did use a TA.  Generally had very good results, but the trips we were taking were kind of easy peasy, they did do a good job for us!  The past 15 years or so, I take much more inclusive trips, both land and cruise, generally one of each per year.  I very much enjoy planning on my own.  It helps me build up to the excitement of the journey.  This is not in any way to take away from the value others feel about working with a TA, it just works for me.  

I think you will find that the majority of us here do exactly as you do.  We often book 60 day+ trips including air, VRBO rentals, hotels, car rentals, land trips.  And a cruise.  And the only thing we have handled by our TA is the cruise.

The savings of which often pays for some of the other arrangements mentioned above.

• Like 3

We always transfer our booking to a travel agent, strictly for the OBC or cash back.  Our loyalty is to the travel agent who gives us the best cash back deal.   We enjoy following up and watching open cabin availability ourselves and really enjoy researching our future travel trips.  The need of a travel agent to help plan our trip stopped some 25 years ago.  Times have changed.

I want to thank everyone who posted for their advice and experiences with travel agents. My wife and I talked about using a TA. We have come to the conclusion that if we do a compound trip...air, lodging, non-ship excursions and possibly a rental car, using a TA would be a good idea (i.e. a trans-Atlantic cruise with lodging and tours) . Right now, we drive to and from our departure ports and we use our timeshare location for both pre and post lodging. We will still book direct for these trips.