Deposit?

scurrymd

Question on deposits.  If I were to book a cruise with a non-refundable deposit, could I transfer the deposit to another cruise if we have a change in plans?  I’m fine with not getting a refund, but don’t want to completely lose it if anything changes.  

It's a bit more complicated if you consider Cruise With Confidence.   You can move your reservation to a sailing which departs through 5/4/2022 with no penalty as long as you do it prior to 4/30/2020 (current extension of CwC).

If you are moving to a sailing after 5/4/2022 you can move but will be subject to the originally agreed $100 pp admin fee.  You pay the $100 pp and your full deposit will be retained and the reservation will be moved.   One note.  A NRD booking can't be converted to a Refundable deposit so you will want to take a NRD fare on the new cruise if moving the existing reservation this way.

If you just cancel the NRD prior to 4/30/20202 (when CwC currently expires) you will get your full deposit returned as FCC.   This FCC has a sail by date of 9/30/2022 (current date on CwC FCC's).

So this does leave the option if you are moving to a sailing between 5/4/2022 and 9/30/2022 to use CwC to cancel and get full deposit as FCC.  Then rebook a refundable deposit on the new cruise (new deposit) and be able to apply the FCC to the balance.

Remember the original terms of the NRD were $100 pp admin fee and remainder in FCC which had to be used in 12 months so while the options above are limited, they were pretty limited under the original terms.

Thanks for the responses! The cruise we are looking at actually departs in October 2022, so it doesn’t fall under the Cruise with Confidence.  We’re good with the FCC, minus the $100 pp admin fee.

I'm not sure using FCC will work in either event unless your final payment for your existing cruise is Oct 2021 or later as the FCC will have either a 9/30/2022 or a 12 month after issue sail by date depending if you use CwC to cancel or waive CwC benefits.

You should be able to just move the reservation to Oct 2022 and pay the $100 pp penalty.  As I said before just make sure to select NRD pricing as the reservation will remain NRD.

The key is to call and tell them what you want to do and what you expect.   I recently tried something very similar moving a June 2021 Baltic NRD reservation to Oct 2022.   I was told I would have to pay the $100 pp which I asked to have waived.  They refused but offered an alternate solution which was acceptable to me.  Let them know you are open to suggestions on how to do what you want.

I really don't think there should be an issue waiving the fee for any existing sailing prior to 5/4/2022 as it's covered by CwC.  I fully understood that any subsequent cancel/change would be subject to the penalty as it Oct 2022 sailing was outside the CwC limit.   You could argue that the FAQ doesn't have a restriction on the alternate ship sailing date.

How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?

Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on or before May 4, 2022, are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence program. Prior to the final payment due date, if you wish to change a Non-Refundable Deposit booking to an alternate ship you can do so without incurring a change fee; the change fee will be waived.

Edited by wrk2cruise

They have NOT yet booked anything.  Nobody knows when they would be looking at cruising and what the X policy will be in the future.  I fully expect X to confuse the issue with additional changes.  Similar to saying their August Summit TA cruise is not covered on their Canada policy because it doesn't stop in Canada!  Was told again Halifax is in Nova Scotia and St John in Newfoundland.

Amazing and disappointing.

Ok I didn't realize @scurrymd didn't have an existing NRD deposit.   Since the introduction of NRD (in the US) a couple of years ago the policy had been if you cancel or change ship or sail date there is a $100 pp admin fee and the remainder in a FCC with an expiry of 1 year after issue if you cancel.  As @Arizona Wildcat states policy may be different when booking in the future.