3 Earthquakes and tsunami warnings in NZ

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Has anyone been affected by 3 earthquakes and/or tsunami warnings in NZ?.

Island countries in the north may be affected by Cyclone, which started off the Coast of Australia.

Warnings also for Norfolk Island. 

Just half metre waves, non event really, just a big shake. No damage in NZ. The media s really beating this one up.  I don't like quakes, been through a big one in Peru, but it is Mother Nature releasing her steam.

Edited by NSWP

Aucklander here. Didn't feel a thing, nobody was hurt, sounded far more dramatic that it was. The worst thing was the emergency phone alert (several times) when I had my headphones on! 😨

Edited by phoenixx
Spelling
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

Aucklander here. Didn't feel a thing, nobody was hurt, sounded far more dramatic that it was.

It was also the thousands of people who had to evacuate.

First a smaller number at 3am following the first one, then a lot more people from many locations following the 3rd one which was 8.1.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

8.1 is a big earthquake.  Why was the tsunami not as bad as expected?  Is it due to the depth of the earthquake?

The 8.1 off the Kermadec Islands was deep, about 90km, deeper the quake, less impact. The Christchurch quake in 2011 was shallow, about 10km and liquifaction of the ground caused a lot of buildings to fall.  Even so, the experts are saying NZ dodged a bullet re Tsunami. I tend to agree. I study earthquakes myself, I check a few times a week re quakes happening around the globe.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

The 8.1 off the Kermadec Islands was deep, about 90km, deeper the quake, less impact. The Christchurch quake in 2011 was shallow, about 10km and liquifaction of the ground caused a lot of buildings to fall.  Even so, the experts are saying NZ dodged a bullet re Tsunami. I tend to agree. I study earthquakes myself, I check a few times a week re quakes happening around the globe.

Thank you.  I recalled the Christchurch earthquake was shallow and thought this one may have been deeper.  NZ was fortunate this time. 

• Like 1