Pre cruise Oslo stay/train to Bergen worth the money?

FolsomMike

I have a courtesy hold on a Viking cruise with a pre cruise addition of 2 nights in Oslo and a train ride to Bergen for just under 1K per person. The train ride looks to be under $100 if booked independently. I know anything booked through a cruise line is jacked up in price but do the transfers and such make this at all reasonable?

10 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

I have a courtesy hold on a Viking cruise with a pre cruise addition of 2 nights in Oslo and a train ride to Bergen for just under 1K per person. The train ride looks to be under $100 if booked independently. I know anything booked through a cruise line is jacked up in price but do the transfers and such make this at all reasonable?

Up to you. We did it on our own. Got the higher class (comfort class??) train ticket which was worth  it. Not sure what you get with Viking?  Easy walk from train to ship in Bergen.(for us with just a rolling suitcase). 

• Thanks 1

First of all, even if you add the pre-cruise at booking you can change your mind and cancel it. Easier to book and cancel than to try to add it later.

Two night means you have just one day to tour in Oslo.

Arrival day -- Night 1 -- Day (touring) -- Night 2 -- Departure day

Arrival day there is no way telling in advance what time you will be arriving in Oslo and if you will have the energy to do any touring that day (me, never).  Departure is right after breakfast, no time to see anything before you get on the train.

Some people are quite happy to let Viking handle all the logistics; for them, it is worth it at whatever the cost. Not only will they deal with transfers from airport to hotel to train to ship but they will take care of getting your luggage from the hotel to the ship.

Other people are comfortable doing it on their own and don't mind having to handle the logistics of getting from place to place. Advice on how to do it is easy to come by.

Another option, if you are comfortable getting from the airport to the hotel on your own, is to take the package but plan to arrive a day or two prior to have extra time in Oslo (if that is something that appeals to you). Then join up with the pre-cruise group when they arrive at the hotel, do whatever activities are included in the package and depart with the group on the train. (FWIW: Airport train goes to the train station; Viking hotel is usually right by the train station).

In any case, remember: your vacation, your money, your choice.

• Like 4

Thanks for the very good advice, as usual, Peregrina651 !   Well stated.

We are doing a cruise in 2022 that finishes in Bergen, but will take the train on our own to Oslo (Norway in a Nutshell) and spend some time there before flying home.   Given what you say, maybe we'll just do the extension but not go to Oslo airport, just staying on in Oslo for several more days and flying home ourselves.  Especially if the train goes to the airport too in Oslo.

If you are comfortable with your own luggage, you can save quite a bit of $$$ and have possibly an even better experience.

Oslo is very easy to navigate and very english language friendly   The airport express train runs directly to the main train station. You can purchase tickets ahead of time on the internet for both the airport train and the train to Bergen. 

We stayed at the Thone Opera Hotel (which is what Viking uses on a regular basis) which is literally across the street from the station. We used the hop on hop off buses and boats to tour Oslo.  The direct train to Bergen leaves from the same station.  When you get to Bergen its a 10 minute cab ride to the port if you don't feel like making the walk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

First of all, even if you add the pre-cruise at booking you can change your mind and cancel it. Easier to book and cancel than to try to add it later.

I totally agree. Payment for extensions are due with the balance for the cruise. Extensions do sell out - so if you're even slightly interested, it pays to book and cancel if you change your mind.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, knoxclone said:

We stayed at the Thone Opera Hotel (which is what Viking uses on a regular basis) which is literally across the street from the station.

Just be careful because there are two Thon hotels near the train station; make sure you choose the Thon Opera Hotel -- or better is to confirm which hotel will be used for your dates, and confirm as departures gets closer. Nothing is written in stone.

• Like 2

We took the Bergen to Oslo train on our own in August 2018 after our Viking Homelands cruise.  Train tickets are available 90 days in advance thru https://www.vy.no/en.  We reserved Comfort Class tickets as it provided more leg room and luggage storage space.  Seats can be selected at time of booking and sent via email or mobile download.   We also stayed at the Thon Opera next to the Oslo Central Station and took the express train to the airport.
It's a spectacular train journey -- enjoy!
  • Like 3

To keep our Bergen and Oslo rail info in one place, there is also a light rail // tram from Bergen airport to downtown Bergen.  The trip takes about 45 minutes, and the next to last station is the main rail station.

56 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

To keep our Bergen and Oslo rail info in one place, there is also a light rail // tram from Bergen airport to downtown Bergen.  The trip takes about 45 minutes, and the next to last station is the main rail station.

I had been planning to take the bus from the airport because it stops on the Bryggen closer to the ship. Good if the ship is in its normal berth; not so good if you are on the lucky sailing that is berthed elsewhere (this happens a couple of times a year). Also, not so good if you need help with your luggage.

• Like 1

Also just an FYI if you want to do train from Oslo to Bergen or vice versa on your own but you don’t want to deal with luggage there is a great Porter service that will transport your luggage for you. Porter Service Norway. They will collect your luggage in the AM at either hotel or train station (or ship in Bergen) and deliver later that day to your hotel in the opposite city. The cost was quite reasonable (about $30 USD/bag as I recall). We used them to do the Norway in a Nutshell route with an over night in Flam. Just took a small carry on for the overnight. It was great to not have to manage luggage on/off train, ferry, bus, etc.  

• Like 3

Let me ask a question for post cruise Bergen to Oslo.  Theoretically they have two packages a 2 day and a 4 day.  We are going in July 2022 for a midnight sun sailing and the 4 day is all thats available.  The thing is there is already an overnight in Bergen for the cruise itself.  Adding a 4 day adds additional overnights in Bergen before leaving to Oslo.

Is it really worth it to add the days in bergen in addition to the cruise overnight in Bergen before leaving to Oslo.

More than likely our travel agent is going to book the train ride and Oslo hotels independently but I am curious if I am missing something about the 4 day package.

Totally worth it! The tours in Oslo were great. The train ride was amazing! It was first class. Ours included  a meal from the cafe car, beer/wine and the most amazing views. There was a Viking representative with us and Viking had the entire car reserved. It was a wonderful beginning to our Viking Homelands cruise.

• Like 2

We never had a Viking pre or post extension we weren't happy with. Our most recent was a pre in Madrid which also included the high speed train to Barcelona. That too was first class and we didn't have to worry about (or schlep) our luggage.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:37 PM, zalusky said:

Let me ask a question for post cruise Bergen to Oslo.  Theoretically they have two packages a 2 day and a 4 day.  We are going in July 2022 for a midnight sun sailing and the 4 day is all thats available.  The thing is there is already an overnight in Bergen for the cruise itself.  Adding a 4 day adds additional overnights in Bergen before leaving to Oslo.

Is it really worth it to add the days in bergen in addition to the cruise overnight in Bergen before leaving to Oslo.

More than likely our travel agent is going to book the train ride and Oslo hotels independently but I am curious if I am missing something about the 4 day package.

Zalusky - we are on the July 2022 Midnight Sun London-Bergen and planning to do our own thing when we arrive in Bergen.  (We've been there before and its so easy to get around).   Train on our own to Oslo and then 4 nights 3 days of touring and then fly home on Viking Air.

I suppose it all depends on if you want a DIY or let Viking do it all.

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Zalusky - we are on the July 2022 Midnight Sun London-Bergen and planning to do our own thing when we arrive in Bergen.  (We've been there before and its so easy to get around).   Train on our own to Oslo and then 4 nights 3 days of touring and then fly home on Viking Air.

I suppose it all depends on if you want a DIY or let Viking do it all.

So far its just you and I in the Roll call! 

We most likely will have our TA put something together for us but I was just curious if anybody had information comparing the 4 day to the 2 day especially since the ship overnights in Bergen before disembarkation.

P.S.  Since you have been there before any must do recommendations.  

My has a torn hip tendon issue which is not easily repairable for an immune suppressed person nearing 70.  She can walk but her hiking/long walk days are gone.  Stairs are not fun for her.

5 hours ago, zalusky said:

So far its just you and I in the Roll call! 

We most likely will have our TA put something together for us but I was just curious if anybody had information comparing the 4 day to the 2 day especially since the ship overnights in Bergen before disembarkation.

P.S.  Since you have been there before any must do recommendations.  

My has a torn hip tendon issue which is not easily repairable for an immune suppressed person nearing 70.  She can walk but her hiking/long walk days are gone.  Stairs are not fun for her.

Hi Bob and Mikey - I put a post on our Roll Call for the Venus July 15,22 cruise as well.  It appears we are the only ones on it so far.

As for Bergen, we were there after the Homelands cruise and spent 2 days 2 nights on our own, staying at Bergen Bors hotel.  We enjoyed Bergen immensely, but it was very definitely a walking type town - and we did a lot of it, going to Bryggen museum, walking to the Funicular up to the Mountain top, walking around the harbor and many of the beautiful parks to see.  It is an expensive city though-especially food and drink.  The Funicular was well worth it.  Fabulous views!  We did enjoy sitting by the waterfront and people watching a lot.  Our Viking ship was berthed right in town so we were very lucky.  I'm not sure I'd want to spend 4 days there.  And if you do have issues walking, it might be difficult to see much without taking taxis or tours everywhere.

We plan to do the train to Oslo when we leave the ship, but we may do Norway in a Nutshell, stopping in Flam.  We also want to spend 3-4 days in Oslo touring around (friends highly recommended that).  It sounds like it is easy to do all of this on your own and they also did the porter service vis a vis the train, and also upgraded which they said was well worth it.  

Kent and Pam

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Bob and Mikey - I put a post on our Roll Call for the Venus July 15,22 cruise as well.  It appears we are the only ones on it so far.

As for Bergen, we were there after the Homelands cruise and spent 2 days 2 nights on our own, staying at Bergen Bors hotel.  We enjoyed Bergen immensely, but it was very definitely a walking type town - and we did a lot of it, going to Bryggen museum, walking to the Funicular up to the Mountain top, walking around the harbor and many of the beautiful parks to see.  It is an expensive city though-especially food and drink.  The Funicular was well worth it.  Fabulous views!  We did enjoy sitting by the waterfront and people watching a lot.  Our Viking ship was berthed right in town so we were very lucky.  I'm not sure I'd want to spend 4 days there.  And if you do have issues walking, it might be difficult to see much without taking taxis or tours everywhere.

We plan to do the train to Oslo when we leave the ship, but we may do Norway in a Nutshell, stopping in Flam.  We also want to spend 3-4 days in Oslo touring around (friends highly recommended that).  It sounds like it is easy to do all of this on your own and they also did the porter service vis a vis the train, and also upgraded which they said was well worth it.  

Kent and Pam

The Flam thing sounds intriguing since we don't port there.  Some ex neighbors who did Homeland said they really enjoyed Oslo.  So much to think about.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, knoxclone said:

If you are comfortable with your own luggage, you can save quite a bit of $$$ and have possibly an even better experience.

Oslo is very easy to navigate and very english language friendly   The airport express train runs directly to the main train station. You can purchase tickets ahead of time on the internet for both the airport train and the train to Bergen. 

We stayed at the Thone Opera Hotel (which is what Viking uses on a regular basis) which is literally across the street from the station. We used the hop on hop off buses and boats to tour Oslo.  The direct train to Bergen leaves from the same station.  When you get to Bergen its a 10 minute cab ride to the port if you don't feel like making the walk. 

I've tried to get train tickets for the train in early August but there are no tickets available.  Any suggestions.  We have booked the Viking Iceland-Norway adventure July 22-August 3 ending in Bergen.  I also bought the train package.  Now I would like to book the train and hotel on my own.

19 minutes ago, diane9 said:

I've tried to get train tickets for the train in early August but there are no tickets available.  Any suggestions.  We have booked the Viking Iceland-Norway adventure July 22-August 3 ending in Bergen.  I also bought the train package.  Now I would like to book the train and hotel on my own.

When I planned a similar train trip on my own on VY website - I was never able to look more than 3 months out.  I also had trouble paying with US based credit card (something that the VY website made mention of.)  So I ended making reservation and paid with 3rd party app.

Hope this helps.