The Daily for Tuesday Mar 09, 2021

richwmn

Good Evening!  Sorry I'm late to the party today.  Thank you for the Daily Rich.  @rafinmdThank you for your lists and good to hear your pre-surgery tests are done.

I had a busy day with my Mom, we had an attorney appointment across town, lunch, Costco and some shopping to do.  Costco was packed and Mom kept getting in the way of everyone rushing around, I wouldn't have even done it but she needed her hearing aides cleaned.  When I got home I got a call from a friend of Mom's that she heard Mom was on her deathbed!  Rumors run wild.  I had even talked with this friend just a few weeks ago that Mom was doing great and out of the hospital so who knows how the rumor got so dreary.

I have a Barbie that I got when I had my tonsils out.  I played with that doll a lot and my maternal grandmother was quite a seamstress and made clothes for her.  I remember the Cabbage Patch dolls too because DD was born in 1981 and had to have one.

@kazuYour seedlings look great!  Do you have to move them away from the window at night?  What kinds of peppers did you start?

I haven't been to today's port.  Thank you for your blog Roy, I've bookmarked it to read later.

Have a great evening everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@kazuYour seedlings look great!  Do you have to move them away from the window at night?  What kinds of peppers did you start

Thanks Sharon.  No, I don’t move them out of the window.  I do cover the ones that haven’t germinated at night.

I have way too many peppers.  LOL.  I’m glad I got new seeds though as sadly the seeds I saved from last year’s super chilies didn’t germinate.  (I am kind of guessing that they seeds were treated so that they couldn’t germinate). 

Couldn’t find the type I got last year so this year I am growing the following:

Serrano, Ring of Fire, Cheyenne, Black Pearl & a Cayenne picante.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, I would never have sinus issues, if I grew all these. Can not wait to see your harvest. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Did you play with the Betsy McCall paper dolls from the magazine? 

St Louis Sal

Mine were all from the 'books' they used to sell. The heavier cardboard cover had the dolls and their clothes were on the inside pages. I also remember that some of my dolls had a plastic stand to put under their feet, so they would stand up unaided.

I don't remember if I had any Betsy McCall - I do know they were around.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, kazu said:

Some of those I’ve never heard of!  I wonder how hot Ring of Fire will be!  Never heard of Cheyenne or Black Pearl either. 🌶🌶

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Some of those I’ve never heard of!  I wonder how hot Ring of Fire will be!  Never heard of Cheyenne or Black Pearl either. 🌶🌶

Ring of Fire is supposed to be very hot.  Deadly.  Especially if you let it get red.  I’ll see what DH says.

Cheyenne variant I got is sort of like a cayenne but hotter.

The Black Pearl is the gem in the bunch because I can use it in planters.  It’s gorgeous - looks like an ornamental pepper but those black babies are edible and hot.  I’m trying new things this year.

This is the Black Pearl at various stages.

E6739547-EE06-40A4-813A-7D718179794C.jpeg.3729c2bff968d977163db709c86f1953.jpeg

620B0C5B-3443-4EA0-B6D0-6F857057528C.thumb.jpeg.63aecd7310d520440adcef1842a39153.jpeg

I am honestly not sure where all the chilies will go if they all take.  LOL. It might be a good test for the deer but there will be bunch within the fenced area for sure 😉 

I have already offered to my neighbours but so far no one has taken me up on the offer.  But, it’s a long way to go from seedling to plant so if even half make it, I have way too many.  the beauty is they all ripen at different times and they were all planted at different times so, if all goes well, DH will be a very happy camper and I might be drying chilies.  (Freezing them didn’t work well - they lost their pow factor 😔)

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

The Black Pearl is the gem in the bunch because I can use it in planters.  It’s gorgeous - looks like an ornamental pepper but those black babies are edible and hot.  I’m trying new things this year.

Wow, that Black Pearl is gorgeous.  Those leaves almost look like a dark purple basil plant.  Good luck on your new things and I hope they all work so you can taste them all.

About freezing them....  Did you roast them first?  I find that roasting them helps keep their "kick".  I roast and then freeze, sometimes I don't even take the skins off, especially if they are small.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow, that Black Pearl is gorgeous.  Those leaves almost look like a dark purple basil plant.  Good luck on your new things and I hope they all work so you can taste them all.

About freezing them....  Did you roast them first?  I find that roasting them helps keep their "kick".  I roast and then freeze, sometimes I don't even take the skins off, especially if they are small.

I had never heard of this chili until this year.  I guess that’s what a pandemic does - makes you look for new things LOL 😂 

It was the first time I tried freezing them.  What I read was to simply freeze them raw.  I hadn’t seen about roasting them.  I’ll have to do some digging to check that out.  Thanks for the tip! 🤩 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

In the Southwestern US, it is usual to roast the chiles and then freeze them.  A d they don’t lose their punch.  I have some from last year that have gotten hotter.  

Thanks.  DH likes to eat them raw.  I’ll roast a couple as a test and see if he minds eating them that way.

It would be nice if I could successfully freeze the without losing their punch 😉.  Thanks again  to you and @Sharon in AZfor the suggestion. 👍 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu did you order from Atlantic seeds?  TIA

I ordered a couple from Halifax Seed but a lot from Vesey’s Seeds.  2 chilies from Halifax Seed and the unique ones (like the Black Pearl) came from Vesey’s.  They are all doing well so far so I am pleased with the quality.

Vesey’s had a really neat ivy geranium that could replace a shock wave petunia in planters.  Sadly one colour was no longer available.

They also had some neat smaller shock wave petunias (the ones that look like calibrocha) and a nice oosteospernum, datura and hibiscus among other things.

So far, everything is doing ok except the Gerbera.  It started and has stalled.  Not sure what to make of that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

I ordered a couple from Halifax Seed but a lot from Vesey’s Seeds.  2 chilies from Halifax Seed and the unique ones (like the Black Pearl) came from Vesey’s.  They are all doing well so far so I am pleased with the quality.

Veseys is out of stock,  they have them at Atlantic pepper seeds,  do you know if they are reputable,  I tried locally and west coast seeds and they aren’t available.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Veseys is out of stock,  they have them at Atlantic pepper seeds,  do you know if they are reputable,  I tried locally and west coast seeds and they aren’t available.  

I hadn’t heard of Atlantic Pepper Seeds.  OMG I am hanging my head in shame.  They are in Harvey, NB.  

It’s a very small rural town and I see they have Black Pearl too!  

I’m going to write this one down for next year.  I think you are safe to try them.  They’ve been around for 2 decades and after all, it’s people from New Brunswick 😉. Seriously, I think they would be fine.

Halifax Seed choices were pretty meh.  I ordered the 2 that were the most different but they didn’t have the choice this place does.

Good find 👍 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kazu said:

I hadn’t heard of Atlantic Pepper Seeds.  OMG I am hanging my head in shame.  They are in Harvey, NB.  

It’s a very small rural town and I see they have Black Pearl too!  

I’m going to write this one down for next year.  I think you are safe to try them.  They’ve been around for 2 decades and after all, it’s people from New Brunswick 😉. Seriously, I think they would be fine.

Halifax Seed choices were pretty meh.  I ordered the 2 that were the most different but they didn’t have the choice this place does.

Good find 👍 

Thanks, I put in an order!  DH is trying your seeds,  hoping,  even though I warned him!  I thought I better get some others! I   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

Thanks, I put in an order!  DH is trying your seeds,  hoping,  even though I warned him!  I thought I better get some others! I   

I think you were wise to order some.  I hope your DH is luckier than I and some of them germinate 🤞 

• Like 2