Newbie Oceania Questions and feedback request

Homerody

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not for bizclass. See my earlier post- you’re paying both their economy and bizclass ticket cost with Oceania.

Matrix ita is your friend. Particularly for business class, I’ve seen prices swing $3K in a day. I watch, monitor, and get alarms from Matrix so that I always get a reasonably competitive price in a routing I find desired.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Matrix ita is your friend. Particularly for business class, I’ve seen prices swing $3K in a day. I watch, monitor, and get alarms from Matrix so that I always get a reasonably competitive price in a routing I find desired.

I too love to use ITA Matrix (and have way before Google bought it). 

Google Flights may be less daunting for many users. Unless fare buckets and using frequent flyer miles are of interest, then ITA is much more powerful and adaptable to "advanced users."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

Doesn't everyone get free internet?

Yes, but thanks to Oceania's marketing, customers new to them think it's a feature of Olife. They might as well say a bed comes with Olife. They're promoting a benefit that is available to everyone as a feature of Olife. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Homerody said:

But isn't internet "allowance" a single device login per cabin?

So, then, if 2 in a cabin of us want concurrent use of 2 devices we'd have to buy an extra?  

Is my newbie understanding right?

You're correct but we honestly didn't find it a problem.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Homerody said:

Oh, but you don't know my techie SO!  Sigh....😟

Solve the problem by booking  a TOP suite  😉

You can have 2  free accounts  then

Probably cheaper just to buy the 2nd account option 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Homerody said:

Oh, but you don't know my techie SO!  Sigh....😟

Truly don't expect too much. Internet service is about like in the days of dial up, or my HP laptop(less than a year old) with Windows 10.

31 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

Booked the 180 day insignia WC , have a question about clothing space after viewing a A3 stateroom video closet space seems to be lacking for a WC. We’ve been on several Holland America WC which have plenty of space. Anyone here with a opinion, thanks

No opinion but advice, I believe the ATW cruisers get included laundry, use it. Ya'll will get used to seeing each other in the same clothes a lot. 

FWIW, the closets are fine for a couple for a standard cruise, which for us is anywhere from 10 to 30 days. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Truly don't expect too much. Internet service is about like in the days of dial up, or my HP laptop(less than a year old) with Windows 10.

Point taken.  (Rhetorical question - perhaps - which do you loathe more HP, Windows 10 or Dial-up?)  😁 

Edited by Homerody
typos

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Ya'll will get used to seeing each other in the same clothes a lot. 

I did a little mental exercise with myself about 30 years ago. I tried to remember what ANYONE I worked with had worn the day before. Couldn't do it. It makes packing a whole lot easier. And honestly the one load of laundry we sent out didn't come back looking all that 'fresh.'

So summing up my foray into the O world and the fine discussion in this thread thus far:

Playing OLife let's make a deal on a 15 day cruise:

Door # 1 $800 OBC

Door # 2 Drinks package

Door # 3 8 excursions

Olife cost for two is $800 so Door #1 is no deal.  Door # 2 is not of any interest.  Door # 3 provides the best bang for the buck (up front and additional 25% for more excursions).

Book own air if  business class is desired and/or deviations, extra stays pre and post are required.

Now for final round of questions:

1.  Are excursions divided evenly 4 per pax?  Or can I get 6 and SO 2? etc...

2.  Any words of wisdom on Waitlisting and Priority WL?

3.  Any feedback on TA offers of prepaid gratuities for O cruises?  Anything that I should be aware of O wise cruisers? 

Thanks so much.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

I did a little mental exercise with myself about 30 years ago. I tried to remember what ANYONE I worked with had worn the day before. Couldn't do it. It makes packing a whole lot easier. And honestly the one load of laundry we sent out didn't come back looking all that 'fresh.'

Good to know about the laundry.  And at my age I avoid all exercises.  Except in futility... (aka scheduling and rescheduling travel in pandemic)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Homerody said:

2.  Any words of wisdom on Waitlisting and Priority WL?

3.  Any feedback on TA offers of prepaid gratuities for O cruises?  Anything that I should be aware of O wise cruisers? 

Thanks so much.

2) I believe the priority wait list get  checked 1st

3) if you find a TA that gives PPG  go for it

as some will boast some will give a rebate check 

do what works for you

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

2) I believe the priority wait list get  checked 1st

3) if you find a TA that gives PPG  go for it

as some will boast some will give a rebate check 

do what works for you

No rebate checks for me.  way too many variables.

Edited by Homerody

47 minutes ago, Homerody said:

No rebate checks for me.  way too many variables.

Are you sure? We’ve received refundable SBC or rebate check from our preferred TAs - often from $1500-$2000 +\-.

And, although our O Club level gets us complimentary gratuities from O, we always check to see if the TA has gratuity coverage not coming out of their pocket (i.e., incentive funds provided by the TA’s consortium or from O.

Why? Because, if the TA covers gratuities from sources other than their own commission, we’ll often get a better rebate or refundable SBC while O will then give us an extra $250 in non-refundable SBC since they’re “off the hook” for covering our gratuities.

FWIW, you’re leaving out many important questions about how best to book multiple segments and the rules that govern it. There’s real savings to be had there. But, it’s a very complex situation which I (for one) am not inclined to explain (for the zillion time here) when a simple search of CC’s Oceania forums and onboard discussions with O regulars will provide you with all you need to know to not throw cash down the drain only because of a lack of real research.

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Are you sure? We’ve received refundable SBC or rebate check from our preferred TAs .....

FWIW, you’re leaving out many important questions about how best to book multiple segments and the rules that govern it. There’s real savings to be had there....

Regarding refundable SBC - couple of things - I have not found a preferred TA for my cruising.  The few times I considered refundable SBC's they came from TA's that seemed a bit skitish about providing details and were usually offered with low ball / outlier quotes.  So I settled on a bird in hand approach.

Also, my most recent cruising has been with Viking which has some strict rules about commisions, rebates etc... so OBC offers tend to be small.

I'll editorialize about VO vs O sales and booking and pre cruising experience thus far at some other time.

Regarding statement about segments - is it air segments??? I am not sure what you are referencing.

And as for research, I agree that there is a ton of good stuff on CC.  Part of the issue, however, is for us newbies, is when we read a thread from say 2019 - how do we know if the tips and practices discussed in a two year old thread or a post from 2020 are still current?  

Sure we can read O's fine print but the real insight comes from the CC community and sharing current and more recent experiences.  The look here not there kinda thing for us newbies is very helpful.

Edited by Homerody
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Homerody said:

Regarding refundable SBC - couple of things - I have not found a preferred TA for my cruising.  The few times I considered them, they came from TA's that seemed a bit skitish about providing details.  So a bird in hand approach.

Also, my most recent cruising has been with Viking which has some strict rules about commisions, rebates etc... so OBC offers tend to be small.

I'll editorialize about VO vs O some other time.

Regarding statement about segments - air segments??? Or what?

And as for research, I agree that there is a ton of good stuff on CC.  Part of the issue, however, is for us newbies, is when we read a thread from say 2019 - how do we know if the tips and practices are still current?  

Sure we can read O's fine print but the real insight comes from the CC community and sharing current and more recent experiences.

Many of the very popular O cruises are comprised of two or more cruises that may be marketed by themselves (I.e., aka a “segment”) or in one of several combination formats. Which multi-segment format is allowed/used for longer cruises is complicated (but worth figuring it out).

As for old posts, most of O’s contemporary polices (other than Covid stuff) since 2018 are still in effect.

Time to search through the CC conversations or look for/comparison shop several Cruise Travel Agencies belonging to the Oceania Connoisseurs Club.

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Many of the very popular O cruises are comprised of two or more cruises that may be marketed by themselves (I.e., aka a “segment”) or in one of several combination formats. Which multi-segment format is allowed/used for longer cruises is complicated (but worth figuring it out).

As for old posts, most of O’s contemporary polices (other than Covid stuff) since 2018 are still in effect.

Time to search through the CC conversations or look for/comparison shop several Cruise Travel Agencies belonging to the Oceania Connoisseurs Club.

Thanks for the follow up.

For now, I'll take baby steps and book a single cruise.  

The O vs VO pre cruise experience and learing curve have been diametrically different.

With VO it is basically here is our price and OBC limits that dont vary much by TA.  And about the only 3 things one can spend extra money on (besides cabin fare) is the beyond basics - and included - excursions, upgraded drinks and spas.

Many more moving parts with O.  Almost need a spreadsheet like when I shop for a car.  Although shopping for an O cruise is more fun even though it has the same feel as car buying.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Homerody said:

Thanks for the follow up.

For now, I'll take baby steps and book a single cruise.  

The O vs VO pre cruise experience and learing curve have been diametrically different.

With VO it is basically here is our price and OBC limits that dont vary much by TA.  And about the only 3 things one can spend extra money on (besides cabin fare) is the beyond basics - and included - excursions, upgraded drinks and spas.

Many more moving parts with O.  Almost need a spreadsheet like when I shop for a car.  Although shopping for an O cruise is more fun even though it has the same feel as car buying.

Trust me- O takes very good care of its regular customers particularly those who understand the complexities.

I believe a couple good points were raised about reading old comments.

1. On neither of my two 2019 cruises on the Marina and Nautica were dress codes in restaurants even marginally enforced. Notwithstanding the marketing propaganda published by Oceania I haven’t a clue of what might be required when cruising resumes. Speculation is merely that.

2. After being beached for 18-24 months, then completely refurbished, I expect it will be months, if not a year+ , before “bin end specials” of wines are offered. Don’t expect them in 2022 or early 2023. Read comments about them accordingly.

3. We don’t know what will initially happen with swimming pools, hot tubs, hydrotherapy pools, saunas, and Lounges. I’m personally expecting a reservation system for the Terrace and GDR, at least for several months. We already know people will not be wandering around the buffet in the Terrace, Willy nilly, but will be seated with a menu. 

I’m expecting some past practices to be carried forward. Many will not. We’re entering a new era, be prepared for new practices, new protocols, and new adventure. Don’t get hung up on the past. The past is both gone, and in some cases even imprecise outdated memories by shutdown.

Hope is on the horizon. Live for tomorrow, not for what maybe was.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I believe a couple good points were raised about reading old comments.

1. On neither of my two 2019 cruises on the Marina and Nautica were dress codes in restaurants even marginally enforced. Notwithstanding the marketing propaganda published by Oceania I haven’t a clue of what might be required when cruising resumes. Speculation is merely that.

2. After being beached for 18-24 months, then completely refurbished, I expect it will be months, if not a year+ , before “bin end specials” of wines are offered. Don’t expect them in 2022 or early 2023. Read comments about them accordingly.

3. We don’t know what will initially happen with swimming pools, hot tubs, hydrotherapy pools, saunas, and Lounges. I’m personally expecting a reservation system for the Terrace and GDR, at least for several months. We already know people will not be wandering around the buffet in the Terrace, Willy nilly, but will be seated with a menu. 

I’m expecting some past practices to be carried forward. Many will not. We’re entering a new era, be prepared for new practices, new protocols, and new adventure. Don’t get hung up on the past. The past is both gone, and in some cases even imprecise outdated memories by shutdown.

Hope is on the horizon. Live for tomorrow, not for what maybe was.

Thank you for your input.

I agree things will be different when sailing resumes.

For one thing - I'm planning on a policy of "you may not leave the ship unless you are on a cruiseline excursion."  I hope in due course that will revert back to precovid days and we'll be allowed to wander off on our own  because that suits our travel style better and we enjoy our free time exlporing.  

But for the forseeable future, I'll plan on cruiseline excursions and be thrilled if I am wrong sometime next year.

Also heading over from VO to O will be an advantage since I will not have any expectations based on previous O sailings.  Just unrealistic expectations based on O advertising and marketing campaigns and materials.😁